Hotels in Venice

lilghallinsf

We were very happy at Gio e Gio bed and breakfast. Located a short walk to San Marco and not too far from a vaparretto stop. It was very easy to get there after our train in from Bologna.

Only three rooms (the middle sized room was fine. We peeked in the biggest room with the canal view and while it was nice we were glad we hadn't paid the upcharge). We never saw the folks in one of the rooms and only said hello to the guests in the big room once during our two nights there. Breakfast is fine - all self service, all pre-packaged items from what I can only assume is the Italian version of Costco;). We found ourselves having coffee/tea and fruit (it was fresh) and then having a fresh made italian pastry and coffee mid morning.

Have a great trip!

Not really inexpensive, but the Molino Stucky Hilton is a GREAT Hotel. It is across the canal from San Marco, but they have a free shuttle which runs across all day long. It has a beautiful view both day and night and is easy access to everything. The rooms are all new and beautiful. Check the prices for the times you desire.

The other hotels are Anthony Palace Hotel, this is a little further away but has a shuttle service from airport also into Plaza for vaperetto stops.

Also sister hotel Anthony Palace this is nearer into Venice and the Plaza Roma.

Just Google both and you will see them also on Trip Advisor.

We have stayed and good for the money.

We will be in Venice for two or three days in April. This is after two days in Rome. Any hotel suggestions you have would be great. We are looking for middle of the road pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you define as 'middle of the road' pricing?

I see the Abazzia mentioned above. It's priced at around 200 Euros a night. I know people who've stayed there and said its nice. However, it's near the train station, so it's a fair walk towards St Marks.

I stayed at the Cipriani - beautiful place. However, I'm assuming you consider 600 Euro + a night above middle range.

• 5 weeks later...

we stayed at the villa laguna across from st marks on the lido and it was excellent and the lido is quite nice in it's hole with shops and restaurants. :cool:price was extremely reasonable and on ther vaperreto line

We have been to Venice twice this year and stayed at Best Western hotel, a short bus ride outside of Venice and near the airport. Venice is a tricky city for hotels, some can be very expensive boat ride just to get there by boat taxi(90Euro), river bus isn't suitcases friendly. This hotel is perfect place between the city and airport, next to a shopping center, see how local lives. We paid $125-150/ngt, best bed and rain shower-excellent. We came into Venice via cruises and have the best view of Venice, spend daytime with tourist in Venice and live like the local. Michael and Joe

BEST WESTERN PLUS Quid Hotel Venice Airport

Edited by swiftm001

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't tell from your post if you needed a recommendation for Rome, too. Husband and I stayed for three nights at the Napolean. I think we got it for like $99/night, but that was several years ago. Hotel Manager, Roberto, was great! So welcoming. Very clean and located steps from the Metro.

http://www.napoleon.it/?gclid=CM7a1tmp6cECFZFhfgodWVIAKQ

TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d203085-Reviews-Napoleon_Hotel-Rome_Lazio.html

In Venice, we stayed at the Locanda Sturion right on the Grand Canal near the Rialto bridge. As this was the end of our vacation, we sprung for one of the front rooms that overlooks the canal. Can't remember what we paid, but it did not break the bank.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d235832-Reviews-Antica_Locanda_Sturion-Venice_Veneto.html

Edited by SingerEsq
add link

• 3 weeks later...

I try to go to Venice at least once a year and generally I prefer to stay either near the station (for luggage logistics convenience) or in Lido (calmer, quieter, good food at reasonable prices and a vaporetto directly into San Marco).

Stayed in the past at the Ausonia and Hungaria which is an amazing old hotel which, at times, has some good offers. The Panorama is also good.

Near the station the Continental was a good choice as it was the Carlton Capri on the other side of the canal.

Its been a few years, but we liked the Hilton Molino Stucky. A historic building with its own Valpretto to take you over to the square. Great lagoon restaurant. Comfortable beds and well appointed rooms. Lavish brunch (got lost in the place looking for it!).

We liked the hotel as it was far from the maddening crowd. And believe me, you want to be somewhere away from that to gather your thoughts and relax.

STA60129.jpg.95c9e82741cc66ea4e2400294e42f240.jpg

When we stayed in Venice for a few pre-cruise nights, we stayed at the Hotel Santa Chiara. It wasn't the cheapest, or the most modern; but it was reasonable, and clean, and included an in-house buffet breakfast.

But the BEST part is that it is located directly in the square where buses/taxis/cars enter the island. There is no vehicular traffic once you arrive in Venice. The road connecting the mainland to Venice ends the moment you get there. There is a small square for turning around, etc. Everything else is reachable only by foot or water taxi. Keep in mind that even a short walk in Venice will have you traversing the canals on footbridges at every turn.

This hotel is RIGHT at the entrance to the Grand Canal, and we spent our days watching tourists lugging their bags up and down footbridges, huffing and puffing, crawling out of water taxis, struggling, looking irritated, etc. (The poor newlywed groom who was lugging both his and the bride's luggage over the bridges still brings a smile to my face - it was truly charming).

Anyway, something to consider no matter which hotel you choose - look it up on Google Maps and zoom in closely enough to trace your path there. See how many bridges you have to cross from your dropoff location.

(The cruise ships depart from the opposite side of the main square, so it is very convenient on Cruise embarkation/disembarkation day - again no transportation required, just a short walk with no bridges!)

We finished a cruise in Rome a couple of years ago, then took the train to Venice. We got off at the "mainland station" and stayed at the Paris Hotel a short walk from there. Nice and reasonable. Very short walk to bus station that runs to the historic canal area, short ride and very convenient. It was my birthday trip and I had to stay in the historic area for at least 1 night but were traveling with others who were a bit more budget conscious, so after they went home, we stayed on the "island" for a couple of nights at the Foscari Palace. Very nice hotel right on the Grand Canal, in fact you could see it from our room window. A bit more expensive than the Paris, but still reasonable for central Venice. I can't recall exactly how we made the transition from one hotel to the other with luggage, but walked fairly easily with luggage to the ferry that runs to the airport when we were ready to leave. The Foscari I would highly recommend, it's a relatively easy walk to a lot of things, with many restaurants etc nearby.

• 3 months later...
I agree about the Hilton on the other side of the canal but you get away from the madding crowds here plus they run a free water taxi too San Marcos sg we stayed there last year and loved it had a great roof top pool and bar area

The hotel pool is not open when we are there. I assume it is still too chilly. Do you feel it is worth it over other hotels in Venice?