Solo cruising

Daniel1500hd

Hey guys I'm Daniel and recently single... And I want to do a solo cruise just to try it does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a fun cruise? I'm 28 and have cruised on royal Disney and I'm almost plat on carnival.

Yes, hands down for a young single guy who wants to go on a "FUN" cruise....either Atlantis or RSVP all gay charters. I've been on both many times and they are absolutely incredible. Half the ship is either single guys traveling with friends or singles traveling alone. All types of ages from 21 to 80 with all body types from pretty muscled twinks to older coupled bears to just the average Joe. Yes, they are tad pricey, but you get top entertainers like Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, etc. They put on nightly themed parties on deck with their own lighting systems and top circuit DJ's. No formal nights and the itinerary to specialized to the charter. Plus they had all the traditional cruises stuff like Broadway shows to Art Auctions to napkin folding, etc. Dining is open seating and singles are seated at large tables so you get to meet new people every night. I've found the crowd to be friendly and easy going and I've met guys from all around the world. Also, they have a cabin share program if you don't want to avoid the single supplement of 100% and they will match you with a cabin mate and you pay the person person rate. I've always been lucky and had good cabin mates. They use Celebrity, HAL, RCI and MSC and sometimes Carnival. No, the charters aren't for everyone and you will get a variety of opinions about these charters, but my experiences have always been positive. For prices and more info just Google Atlantis Events or RSVP vacations. No, I don't work for them. LOL

If you don't want to do a charter then I guess I'd recommend either Carnival or RCI or the solo studio cabins on NCL's Epic, Breakaway or Getaway for someone single in there 20's. You certainly will have fun, but nothing like the charters. Just my opinion after 30+ cruises doing both types of cruises.

Hey guys I'm Daniel and recently single... And I want to do a solo cruise just to try it does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a fun cruise? I'm 28 and have cruised on royal Disney and I'm almost plat on carnival.

I'm inclined to agree with COMBOY. Judging by your previous cruise experience, try a gay cruise.

You might even consider an Eastern Med cruise on one of the many cruise lines sailing that part of the world. There is fun to be had there, so I've heard :)

I'm 29 and always sail solo. But my definition of fun seems different to your own. For me, I love culture and learning even when on holidays. So that steers me in the direction of Cunard.

Austcruiser84 I love visiting the museums and learning the culture and a Cunard crossing could be a fun idea or a Australian cruise

Well, I've only ever sailed Cunard and Princess. For me, Cunard wins out.

You should try a crossing - see London.

Throwing my two cents in, if you do a crossing, make sure it's on the QM2 if you aren't sure about a lot of sea days. Cruise ships (as opposed to ocean liners) take longer to get there (as little as 10-11 days going upward) but Queen Mary 2 is fast and gets there in about a week. Personally, I love crossings because I love sea days, but I know people who get antsy even on a week cruise with no dry land stops--even on the biggest ships. I know that my first crossing felt a little strange to me at first with so many days at sea, but after that I found plenty to entertain myself with if there was nothing interesting going on in the public rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Partner and I are in our late 40's/early 50's, together 14 years. We've done the gamet, from all-gay charters with Atlantis (Caribbean, Mediterranean, Australia, South America, etc) to straight cruises and expeditions to transatlantic crossings on QM2. We've enjoyed all of them for a variety of reasons. And yes, even though we're not partiers or in an open relationship, we've even enjoyed the Atlantis Caribbean trips on multiple occassions. In fact, we'll be sailing again with Atlantis in March on their Exotic So. Caribbean sailing.

If you're looking for a fun environment where it will be easy to meet new friends, I think an Atlantis charter would be great. If you're not sure you want to go "whole hog" that way, you might consider some of the gay travel groups that book blocks on regular cruises (ex. Pied Piper). That could be sort of the "best of both worlds" (although personally I have no experience with them). I do have to say, though, that on all the cruises we've done (gay and straight), there has only been 1 time that we were the only gay passengers on board, and even that cruise was a blast. So I'd just say pick what sounds fun and interesting to you, go with an open mind and friendly attitude, and you're sure to enjoy your vacation.

As you start narrowing things down, come back here and throw out ideas, and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions and advice to help guide you.

Check out Pied Piper group cruises.

I too travel solo most times and have found their groups to be a perfect fit for my traveling.

They don't charter a full ship, so they have many more options for cruising, a couple options each month actually. Some groups may only have 30 in them, others may have 1000 like the annual Thanksgiving cruise. I've built a nice network of cruise friends by traveling with pied piper. I'm booked on their Greek Isles Cruise with Celebrity this July, and again for Post-Thanksgiving in November.

They have a few Cunard group cruise options too, and actually Cunard is providing singles discounts on a couple of them if that deal is still running (it was earlier this month).

I've done 2 PP cruises and enjoyed them a lot. Have my 1st Atlantis cruise coming up in March, see how that goes...!

I don't wish to tar all Pied Piper goers with the same brush, but the group on my QM2 TA were rather insular and full of themselves. They hardly mingled with non PP gays at the FOD meets. The Christmas crowd was far livelier and nicer.

Im very reluctant to try PP as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first solo on Carnival Holiday in 2000 & loved it. I've also done several RSVP out of Fla & they were great. I am platinum on Carnival and they treat me like a king. Love that free laundry.

I think you made a great choice & they will have GLBT daily meetings too. Don't worry if you don't meet anyone on here though as most passengers are not aware of this site.

I just got off a 15 day to Hawaii today on Grand Princess and am so mellow.

Well I'm booked on my first solo :) I'm excited I'm on the Carnival Legend outta Tampa on May 18th hope to meet some others on board :)

I just got off Carnival Paradise, had a great time. I was thinking about this very cruise as my next cruise!

Just want to reiterate the fact that NCL is the only cruise line that offers solo staterooms called Studios, where they don't charge a single supplement for not having two people in the room. The studios are small - only 100 square feet- but make efficient use of space and they have their own lounge and coordinator to help you meet fellow solo travelers. Studios are available on Epic, Breakaway, and Getaway. I'm surprised other cruise lines haven't followed suit yet as they seem to be very popular and usually sell out.

I just got off Carnival Paradise, had a great time. I was thinking about this very cruise as my next cruise!

I went ahead and put a deposit down on this one, before I lost out on the price like I did on the other cruise that I was between the 2 one. This one longer and better anyways, and a different ship that I just got off of...