Taxi Tour in Dominica

sachmo9085

Has anyone had experience with just hiring a taxi to go see various sights around the island? We have inquired with several tour companies (Levi, Woody, Nature Isle) and none of the companies are doing the tour that we would like to do the day we are in port. We sail in one week, so it doesn't look like people are going to be booking the other tours and I really don't like the limited tour options the operators are offering as I really don't care to see Champagne Reef or the Botanical Gardens. I just want to see waterfalls, hike, and not get lost so we can make it back to the ship in time =) I started thinking that maybe we should just hire a taxi when we get there. We have done this in other ports with great success, but then I thought about the borderline disaster we had when I tried this in Jamaica and got nervous about trying that here... I have read great things about Shy Guy and Sister's, but has anyone else just hired a random taxi driver at the port (by random I mean someone still licensed) and had success touring the island? Thank you!

Has anyone had experience with just hiring a taxi to go see various sights around the island? We have inquired with several tour companies (Levi, Woody, Nature Isle) and none of the companies are doing the tour that we would like to do the day we are in port. We sail in one week, so it doesn't look like people are going to be booking the other tours and I really don't like the limited tour options the operators are offering as I really don't care to see Champagne Reef or the Botanical Gardens. I just want to see waterfalls, hike, and not get lost so we can make it back to the ship in time =) I started thinking that maybe we should just hire a taxi when we get there. We have done this in other ports with great success, but then I thought about the borderline disaster we had when I tried this in Jamaica and got nervous about trying that here... I have read great things about Shy Guy and Sister's, but has anyone else just hired a random taxi driver at the port (by random I mean someone still licensed) and had success touring the island? Thank you!

We have used http://www.sweetdominica.com

Just make contact and arrange your own schedule.

I've used Levi and My Sisters (last year). Did you contact either of them to see if they are booked? If not, I recommend doing it and asking for just what you want. The roads were terrible last Spring, so don't expect smooth driving; it will be rather slow going.

I am not a person to just hop in a taxi in an unknown location.

I contacted the suggested companies and ran into more of the same problem: they weren't booked up or full, they just didn't have enough people signed up for the specific tours we wanted :/ So, we just winged it and booked a taxi ourselves, which turned out to be the best possible situation. When you walk out of the port, there are guys dressed in official looking dress shirts with an emblem (I don't know if they are actually official or not, but our driver had an official looking license thing in his cab) and they were selling taxi tours. It was $120 (plus $10 each for entry fees, so $140 all told) for my husband and I to have a taxi driver who took us to the locations we wanted, waited for us at each stop, and brought us back to the ship about 5 and a half hours later. This was about the same or maybe $5 more than the tour companies we had looked into. It was great because we were able to hike at our own pace at Middleham Falls instead of hiking with a group, swim at our own pace at Titou Gorge, and hike/boulder again at Trafalgar falls as we wanted. Our driver also filled us in on information about the island and stopped at a few overlooks for us to take pictures. I think Dominica is now my new favorite island due to the lush gorgeousness and amazing hiking opportunities that exist there.

check out reynotours.net or reynotours@gmail.com

He will do custom tour for you, he is for us when we come in Dec. And the price was good too.