Canada/New England Itinerary

I am considering booking this October itinerary(Boston; Portland; Halifax; and St. John) and would like to receive as much feedback as I can possibly get.

I have only sailed Caribbean itineraries so I know what type of weather to expect and how to pack. Being that this sailing will be in October and the weather can be cooler in the northern area than where I am from(Tennessee and warm enough to still wear shorts, etc.), I would like to know if I need to mainly pack jeans, long sleeves, and jackets. Are cruisers still able to get in the pool and hot tub during this time or will it be too cool for that? Does the ship have drive-thru movies and is it too cool to sit out on the deck to watch them? Are there a lot of activities to pass the time?

I would also like to know what previous cruisers would recommend as far as excursions and sights are concerned. When I take my caribbean cruises, I always wait until we have reached port to book any excursions thru the islanders.

So, please!!! Any information will be greatly appreciated!!:D

Thanks ahead of time!

I have lived in those 2 Canadian cities so I would be happy to advise you on excursions!

In October it could be hot or it could be cool. My relatives have a swimming pool and some years we have convinced them to keep it open until Canadian thanksgiving (early/mid Oct) - a couple of years in the last decade it has been in the 20s (Celsius) and we've gone swimming over Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, this past year I think it was not far above 0. Sometimes you even want a hat or mitts around Thanksgiving. You'd definitely want to bring a fall jacket on your trip, possibly more than just a windbreaker - something with a light lining. Or you could layer a rain coat or windbreaker with a sweater underneath. It could be warm and sunny one day (or part of the day) and cold the next.

Our fall can be beautiful - you will love the colours in the leaves! - it's often my favourite season of the year. But if you don't have the right clothes for the weather your time outside could be less fun for sure. Good luck and I sure do hope you'll come visit us! Also you're probably visiting Saint John NB, and they always spell out the "Saint" part, I believe to more easily distinguish themselves from St. John's Newfoundland. If you're looking for info on the city you'll probably find more by looking for Saint John.

I have done the Boston/Halifax cruise. Even in June, the temps were jeans weather. High's were 70. Coming from the south, 60-70 is just too chilly to wear shorts.

You will love the cruise. It's nothing like a Caribbean cruise - pleasantly nothing like them.

We did that itinerary in June and it was chilly. We lost a day due to fog in Boston and they weren't going to refund any money. But did due complaints. Unless you live in the area very pricey to travel port. Won't travel again to sail from Boston. Portland just had a ton of blizzard damage this week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've done itinerary, Boston to Montreal to Boston, b-to-b, and have every sort of weather short of snow. :) You definitely need to bring some sort sleeve tops, a water resistant jacket perhaps with a hood, a sweater or hoodie, jeans and a lighter weight pant for touring on warmer days. Think in terms of layers. It could start cold in the morning and warm up as the day goes on.

I love the Canada/NE cruises and we did them over and over. :)

If you want to use the pool and hot tubs, check for a ship that can close a roof over one pool area. I think some ships on that router have enclosed solarium pools, too.

Born and raised in the Halifax area, and I still live here - I hope you enjoy your visit in October!

October is a transition month, although I'd suggest that it is cooler than warmer overall. Pack jeans and jackets. If your visit is later in the month you might even consider hats and gloves just in case. While it isn't all that common, we have had the occasional bit of snow around Halloween. Mornings and evenings will usually be chilly... days can be warmer.

I worked for the local Gray Line affiliate (known as Ambassatours) years ago driving tour buses and double-deckers, mostly for cruise excursions. I remember that it was fairly common for tourists from the southern US to find Nova Scotia's climate cool, sometimes even in July and August!

Halifax itself has parks, museums and historic forts to visit, along with a popular boardwalk along the harbour and many restaurants. A very popular day tour is to visit Peggy's Cove (famous for its lighthouse perched on large boulders near the water, but also charming for its quaint fishing village charm), as well as other towns a bit farther away such as Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. These are about an hour's drive from Halifax. Full-day excursions from the ship can include both Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, and half-day tours go to Peggy's Cove only (at least, that is how it worked ten years ago! :) ) I recall some cruise tourists saying that our tours were very expensive, so you may have better luck searching online for private tour operators, or perhaps even renting a car. (Hint: if you decide to go to Peggy's Cove, definitely dress in warm layers. It is usually several degrees colder than in the city due to its exposure to the Atlantic, and it can be very windy.)

Enjoy your trip! I'll be going the opposite way, cruising out of Fort Launderdale to the Caribbean in July! It will be our first cruise, so we're very excited!

Edited by macdon9876

September in Nova Scotia can be beautiful. In fact, it used to be the month when I took my own vacation. My current occupation precludes a September vacation, unfortunately.

Earlier in the month can still be beach weather, and even later in the month usually has nice, warm days. The evenings and mornings start to have a distinct chill as September wears on, but frost usually doesn't come until October. Highs of ~20 degrees © aren't uncommon in the first half of September. September is also usually a fairly nice month weather-wise.

You won't see autumn colours in September, except perhaps at the very end of the month when the leaves begin to change. October is the peak month for that.

Enjoy your trip!

I have lived in those 2 Canadian cities so I would be happy to advise you on excursions!

In October it could be hot or it could be cool. My relatives have a swimming pool and some years we have convinced them to keep it open until Canadian thanksgiving (early/mid Oct) - a couple of years in the last decade it has been in the 20s (Celsius) and we've gone swimming over Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, this past year I think it was not far above 0. Sometimes you even want a hat or mitts around Thanksgiving. You'd definitely want to bring a fall jacket on your trip, possibly more than just a windbreaker - something with a light lining. Or you could layer a rain coat or windbreaker with a sweater underneath. It could be warm and sunny one day (or part of the day) and cold the next.

Our fall can be beautiful - you will love the colours in the leaves! - it's often my favourite season of the year. But if you don't have the right clothes for the weather your time outside could be less fun for sure. Good luck and I sure do hope you'll come visit us! Also you're probably visiting Saint John NB, and they always spell out the "Saint" part, I believe to more easily distinguish themselves from St. John's Newfoundland. If you're looking for info on the city you'll probably find more by looking for Saint John.

Thank you for responding and giving me necessary advice!

I have done the Boston/Halifax cruise. Even in June, the temps were jeans weather. High's were 70. Coming from the south, 60-70 is just too chilly to wear shorts.

You will love the cruise. It's nothing like a Caribbean cruise - pleasantly nothing like them.

Thank you! It doesn't take much for me to get chilly especially if the weather is in the low to high 60s.

We did that itinerary in June and it was chilly. We lost a day due to fog in Boston and they weren't going to refund any money. But did due complaints. Unless you live in the area very pricey to travel port. Won't travel again to sail from Boston. Portland just had a ton of blizzard damage this week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WOW! Chilly in June??!! I hate that your cruise appeared to not have been a good one. I love cruising and look for to each one of them for the relaxation and going to new places to learn about that particular island or city.

I've done itinerary, Boston to Montreal to Boston, b-to-b, and have every sort of weather short of snow. :) You definitely need to bring some sort sleeve tops, a water resistant jacket perhaps with a hood, a sweater or hoodie, jeans and a lighter weight pant for touring on warmer days. Think in terms of layers. It could start cold in the morning and warm up as the day goes on.

I love the Canada/NE cruises and we did them over and over. :)

Thank you very much for this information!!! Gives me a starting point as to what I may need to buy and what I already have to pack for my son and myself.

Born and raised in the Halifax area, and I still live here - I hope you enjoy your visit in October!

October is a transition month, although I'd suggest that it is cooler than warmer overall. Pack jeans and jackets. If your visit is later in the month you might even consider hats and gloves just in case. While it isn't all that common, we have had the occasional bit of snow around Halloween. Mornings and evenings will usually be chilly... days can be warmer.

I worked for the local Gray Line affiliate (known as Ambassatours) years ago driving tour buses and double-deckers, mostly for cruise excursions. I remember that it was fairly common for tourists from the southern US to find Nova Scotia's climate cool, sometimes even in July and August!

Halifax itself has parks, museums and historic forts to visit, along with a popular boardwalk along the harbour and many restaurants. A very popular day tour is to visit Peggy's Cove (famous for its lighthouse perched on large boulders near the water, but also charming for its quaint fishing village charm), as well as other towns a bit farther away such as Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. These are about an hour's drive from Halifax. Full-day excursions from the ship can include both Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, and half-day tours go to Peggy's Cove only (at least, that is how it worked ten years ago! :) ) I recall some cruise tourists saying that our tours were very expensive, so you may have better luck searching online for private tour operators, or perhaps even renting a car. (Hint: if you decide to go to Peggy's Cove, definitely dress in warm layers. It is usually several degrees colder than in the city due to its exposure to the Atlantic, and it can be very windy.)

Enjoy your trip! I'll be going the opposite way, cruising out of Fort Launderdale to the Caribbean in July! It will be our first cruise, so we're very excited!

Macdon9876, you have given me a lot of great information. Thank you very much!

I hope you and your family have a great time and enjoy your cruise!

We've been on this itinerary twice on the Jewel of the Seas. Loved it both times. On most Royal Caribbean ships, there is a solarium (indoor) pool that is kept warm and tropical. It has a glass canopy roof. It's lovely in there and a great place to relax.

Both our trips were in October and the weather was lovely. We wore jeans and short sleeve shirts and had a jacket with us just in case.

We've done some excellent tours, but I think our all time favorite was Blue Nose Sidecars in Halifax. We did a trip with them to Peggy's Cove. Had a grand time.

Lots of history to be found in Boston. We did a pre-cruise and a post-cruise tour with a private guide who is a national park ranger. But on another trip we did the hop on hop off trolley and enjoyed that as well.

Have fun planning! There's a photo book of all our pics from the various ports in the link below. I think the photo book is just called New England/Canada.

• 3 weeks later...
We've been on this itinerary twice on the Jewel of the Seas. Loved it both times. On most Royal Caribbean ships, there is a solarium (indoor) pool that is kept warm and tropical. It has a glass canopy roof. It's lovely in there and a great place to relax.

Both our trips were in October and the weather was lovely. We wore jeans and short sleeve shirts and had a jacket with us just in case.

We've done some excellent tours, but I think our all time favorite was Blue Nose Sidecars in Halifax. We did a trip with them to Peggy's Cove. Had a grand time.

Lots of history to be found in Boston. We did a pre-cruise and a post-cruise tour with a private guide who is a national park ranger. But on another trip we did the hop on hop off trolley and enjoyed that as well.

Have fun planning! There's a photo book of all our pics from the various ports in the link below. I think the photo book is just called New England/Canada.

Thank you Cheryl! I will definitely check out your photos. I think I will have to go on this itinerary by myself. My son just informed me that he thinks it will be too cold for him and he would like to go somewhere warmer. So, I can take all the information that I am receiving and put it towards next year's planning and leave him at home:).