Forts in San Juan

tee99

I am looking to do both Forts in San Juan. Not sure if we should do this on our own or book an excursion through Royal Caribbean. Does anyone know if the forts are within walking distance from the pier? Has anyone done this excursion through RC? I think it was called Fortresses of Old San Juan.

How much is the excursion?

You can walk from the pier to the forts. You can walk from one to the other. There is also a free trolley that goes around town and will drop you off. The cost to get in to each fort is nominal. I think it's $5 for one and for an extra couple of dollars you can get into both.

There are displays with explanations, so unless you need someone to give you an actual guided tour, there's no need to spend a lot of money on an excursion. Just my opinion.

Thank You for the info! We would rather explore on our own and go at our own pace so I was glad to hear that the forts were in walking distance of the pier and of each other!

Edited by tee99

There is absolutely no reason to have to do a ship sponsored tour of the two forts in Old San Juan. There are an easy walk from the pier or you can take the free trolley that does a loop around the city. The forts are easy to explore on your own and if you do want to take a guided tour then are available at the forts by the park service rangers. I don't, however, know the cost.

Edited by Ocean Boy

the excursion is $56 pp

I think we will try it on our own

I was looking for a tour for the morning when we return to San Juan and I found a combo tour of Bacardi and forts for $40 pp. They will also take us to the airport and store our luggage for us. That sounds good for 3.5 hours. It is called Puerto Rico Excursions.

Edited by memphocruiser

Unless you like to be herded around in a big group and overpay for a tour, there is ABSOLUTLEY no good reason to pay for an ship's tour of the forts.

The forts open at 9am. We left the ship at 8:30am for a leisurely 20-minute walk up the hill to Castillo San Cristobal, which you can partially see from the ship. Both San Cristobal and the better known El Morro fort are very impressive, massive structures worth detailed exploring. The combined fortresses and connecting wall are designated as a United Nations World Heritage site. San Cristobal, covering 27 acres, is the largest fortification built by the Spanish in the New World. Yes, it's actually larger than its more famous sister El Morro.

Cost is $5.00 per person for one or both sites --- just save and show your receipt --- or free with the Senior Pass and Golden Age Passport. [Price current as of January 2015]. Don't make the mistake of hiring a taxi, unless you are physically unable to walk up a hill. It is pretty easy to walk to both sites as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both which offer lots of history, information, and picture opportunities. Adventurous kids and adults alike will enjoy crossing over the drawbridges (which span dry moats), exploring numerous tunnels, unique stairwells, arched passageways, barracks, storerooms, ramparts, cannons and dungeons. Each fort also offers a gift shop with cold bottled water for under $2.

The walk from San Cristobal to Castillo San Felipe del Morro (El Morro) is an easy 20-minute walk via the city wall walkway parallelling the sea. You can also take a free US Parks Service shuttle between the two forts, or wait for the free hop-on/hop-off trolley. However you may have to wait a long time as these are often packed, and yes, you can also catch the trolly from a stop near the port to both forts.

El Morro is a real gem of a fort, with 6 levels and 60-foot walls overlooking the ocean. It also features a pair of spiral stairwells, one of which is triangular. Even the restrooms in El Morro offer picturesque views. (You won't find a restroom anywhere with better vistas). It's a 30-minute walk back to the ship from El Morro.

For pictures of all of the ports please see:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation2.html

Unless you like to be herded around in a big group and overpay for a tour, there is ABSOLUTLEY no good reason to pay for an ship's tour of the forts.

The forts open at 9am. We left the ship at 8:30am for a leisurely 20-minute walk up the hill to Castillo San Cristobal, which you can partially see from the ship. Both San Cristobal and the better known El Morro fort are very impressive, massive structures worth detailed exploring. The combined fortresses and connecting wall are designated as a United Nations World Heritage site. San Cristobal, covering 27 acres, is the largest fortification built by the Spanish in the New World. Yes, it's actually larger than its more famous sister El Morro.

Cost is $5.00 per person for one or both sites --- just save and show your receipt --- or free with the Senior Pass and Golden Age Passport. [Price current as of January 2015]. Don't make the mistake of hiring a taxi, unless you are physically unable to walk up a hill. It is pretty easy to walk to both sites as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both which offer lots of history, information, and picture opportunities. Adventurous kids and adults alike will enjoy crossing over the drawbridges (which span dry moats), exploring numerous tunnels, unique stairwells, arched passageways, barracks, storerooms, ramparts, cannons and dungeons. Each fort also offers a gift shop with cold bottled water for under $2.

The walk from San Cristobal to Castillo San Felipe del Morro (El Morro) is an easy 20-minute walk via the city wall walkway parallelling the sea. You can also take a free US Parks Service shuttle between the two forts, or wait for the free hop-on/hop-off trolley. However you may have to wait a long time as these are often packed, and yes, you can also catch the trolly from a stop near the port to both forts.

El Morro is a real gem of a fort, with 6 levels and 60-foot walls overlooking the ocean. It also features a pair of spiral stairwells, one of which is triangular. Even the restrooms in El Morro offer picturesque views. (You won't find a restroom anywhere with better vistas). It's a 30-minute walk back to the ship from El Morro.

Thanks for all the great information!!

what a great write up - thank you. I wonder if you can help w a couple of ques. we will be in OSJ Tues, Feb 17, noon-8pm. we plan both forts.

1. I've read there was thought/effort to create an entrance to El Morro from the Paseo del Morro and, if not, it's a hot 3/4 mi walk to a dead end and same hot walk back to enter a different way. Do you know if this entrance is open yet?

2. I've read that sunsets are especially pretty off Paseo de la Princesa (near El Morro). not sure, but writer may have had music in mind too, tho don't think there'll be any when we're there (tues). still... given we're there til 8pm (earlier to board), I thought we might go to Cristobal 1st then El Morro (before closes) to catch that sunset. any credence to favored sunset? any other reason for a preferred order to see the 2 forts? was also thinking that walk back to ship may be shorter from El Morro than Cristobal? Thanks for any insights!

Hope this may help with your decision making:

1. The walkway is completed, however there is no entrance to the fort at the end - you'll still have to go through the main entrance. It is a very nice walk with fantastic views throughout. Look for Iguanas and White-Tailed Tropicbirds along the way.

2. I've preferred the sunsets along El Morro. The direction of the sun will vary throughout the year, but attached is a view from the Paseo in July.

As far as the order of visiting the parks, it's more a matter of personal preference. The park's website is very good - you can get an idea of both of them and then formulate a strategy.

For distance, it's pretty close either way. Don't forget if you get too tired you can hop on the park service trolley or city tram. Enjoy your visit!

896829776_elmorro.jpg.b766d5b67e1e8ccff90c0a688884855f.jpg

Edited by trekrider520

1. The walkway is completed, however there is no entrance to the fort at the end - you'll still have to go through the main entrance. It is a very nice walk with fantastic views throughout. Look for Iguanas and White-Tailed Tropicbirds along the way.

2. I've preferred the sunsets along El Morro. The direction of the sun will vary throughout the year, but attached is a view from the Paseo in July.

As far as the order of visiting the parks, it's more a matter of personal preference. The park's website is very good - you can get an idea of both of them and then formulate a strategy.

For distance, it's pretty close either way. Don't forget if you get too tired you can hop on the park service trolley or city tram. Enjoy your visit!

holy cow! what a beautiful picture! think will have to be at el morro then for that sunset. and thanks for heads up on wildlife spotting. I'm generally observant but that was not expressly on my radar. looks like we'll hike the walk both ways then to get back to entrance (and count as exercise quota!). will ck park's website, too. Thanks much for your help.

cbrad...

1. trekrider520 does a good job of answering this question.

2. don't recall seeing a sunset on land, which sounds cool. I believe San Cristobal is closer to ship. Either way, it's downhill from either site back to the ship. I recommend San Cristobal first only because there is a little more signage which will assist in identifying what you are seeing. Keep in mind these close at 6pm.

cbrad...

1. trekrider520 does a good job of answering this question.

2. don't recall seeing a sunset on land, which sounds cool. I believe San Cristobal is closer to ship. Either way, it's downhill from either site back to the ship. I recommend San Cristobal first only because there is a little more signage which will assist in identifying what you are seeing. Keep in mind these close at 6pm.

Thanks caribbean bound. down hill either way sounds great as it will be at end of our day. yep - 6pm. thanks!!

I am looking to do both Forts in San Juan. Not sure if we should do this on our own or book an excursion through Royal Caribbean. Does anyone know if the forts are within walking distance from the pier? Has anyone done this excursion through RC? I think it was called Fortresses of Old San Juan.

Don't spend money to do this. Everything is within walking distance. Just walk up the hill to the first fort, pay the NPS admission fee (which covers both forts) and explore to your hearts content.

I also wanted to see the forts but we only have time after the cruise. Our flight is very late so we should have plenty of time. Where do you store yur luggage? The info above is very helpful.. thanks for all the detail. The carnival site shows they take your luggage to the airport. I didnt know where to the airport or if we do the forts on our own, then where to store.. thanks again...

I also wanted to see the forts but we only have time after the cruise. Our flight is very late so we should have plenty of time. Where do you store yur luggage? The info above is very helpful.. thanks for all the detail. The carnival site shows they take your luggage to the airport. I didnt know where to the airport or if we do the forts on our own, then where to store.. thanks again...

There is a restaurant in Old San Juan, The Barrachina, that will store luggage for you. We have used them several times. It is quite safe and secure and the only cost is a tip for the attendent. It is also a nice place to eat. It is located at 104 Calle Fortaleza.

Edited by Ocean Boy

• 3 months later...

Trekrider520, any update on the Paseo El Morro and being able to access the fort from the Paseo? I thought I read that it was complete but it was rarely open and they were going to put a second ticket counter at the new entrance. We are visiting October 26, just for a port stop and are hoping to walk this route! We cannot wait to return to OSJ!

Thank you,

Lauri

Trekrider520, any update on the Paseo El Morro and being able to access the fort from the Paseo? I thought I read that it was complete but it was rarely open and they were going to put a second ticket counter at the new entrance. We are visiting October 26, just for a port stop and are hoping to walk this route! We cannot wait to return to OSJ!

Thank you,

Lauri

Hi Lauri:

I haven't been down the Paseo in a couple of weeks, but there wasn't fort access at the end. Maybe others can chime in if they've been down recently. Perhaps by your visit there will be access.

If you don't want to walk all the way back along the Paseo, you can cut across by the tennis courts and playground, walk up the hill and to the fort entrance. It'll shave quite a bit of walking time. Hope this helps!

If it's more than $5 per person do it on your own. Everything is within walking distance. Buy a guide book online ahead of time and you are ready to go.

Hi Lauri:

I haven't been down the Paseo in a couple of weeks, but there wasn't fort access at the end. Maybe others can chime in if they've been down recently. Perhaps by your visit there will be access.

If you don't want to walk all the way back along the Paseo, you can cut across by the tennis courts and playground, walk up the hill and to the fort entrance. It'll shave quite a bit of walking time. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the info! I have included your walking directions in my travel notes! I will make a point of coming back here a few weeks before we Sail and ask the question again! I think that would be a terrific walk, especially as the sun is setting, maybe starting at El Morro and ending up on the Paseo Princesa. Thank you for your great info! Lauri