Forts in San Juan

tee99

I would add that for those on a port stop the parks close at 6pm.. so you might keep that in mind. Here is a link to the National Park Service information on the park which some might find helpful http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm We did both forts on different days when we were there in April. Well worth a visit. We did San Cristobal on our own but used a local architect/historian for El Morro. You will enjoy it whichever way you do it, but I will say we did get more out of it with the guide, more history and understanding of why the forts were of such importance. But whatever.. don't miss them when in San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you like to be herded around in a big group and overpay for a tour, there is ABSOLUTLEY no good reason to pay for an ship's tour of the forts.

The forts open at 9am. We left the ship at 8:30am for a leisurely 20-minute walk up the hill to Castillo San Cristobal, which you can partially see from the ship. Both San Cristobal and the better known El Morro fort are very impressive, massive structures worth detailed exploring. The combined fortresses and connecting wall are designated as a United Nations World Heritage site. San Cristobal, covering 27 acres, is the largest fortification built by the Spanish in the New World. Yes, it's actually larger than its more famous sister El Morro.

Cost is $5.00 per person for one or both sites --- just save and show your receipt --- or free with the Senior Pass and Golden Age Passport. [Price current as of January 2015]. Don't make the mistake of hiring a taxi, unless you are physically unable to walk up a hill. It is pretty easy to walk to both sites as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both which offer lots of history, information, and picture opportunities. Adventurous kids and adults alike will enjoy crossing over the drawbridges (which span dry moats), exploring numerous tunnels, unique stairwells, arched passageways, barracks, storerooms, ramparts, cannons and dungeons. Each fort also offers a gift shop with cold bottled water for under $2.

The walk from San Cristobal to Castillo San Felipe del Morro (El Morro) is an easy 20-minute walk via the city wall walkway parallelling the sea. You can also take a free US Parks Service shuttle between the two forts, or wait for the free hop-on/hop-off trolley. However you may have to wait a long time as these are often packed, and yes, you can also catch the trolly from a stop near the port to both forts.

El Morro is a real gem of a fort, with 6 levels and 60-foot walls overlooking the ocean. It also features a pair of spiral stairwells, one of which is triangular. Even the restrooms in El Morro offer picturesque views. (You won't find a restroom anywhere with better vistas). It's a 30-minute walk back to the ship from El Morro.

For pictures of all of the ports please see:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation2.html

Just curious if the walk up the hills to the forts is too much for those of us who are overweight and out of shape. I don't want to hold the rest of our group back. Would it be better to take the Trolley to the first fort and then walk from there?

Just curious if the walk up the hills to the forts is too much for those of us who are overweight and out of shape. I don't want to hold the rest of our group back. Would it be better to take the Trolley to the first fort and then walk from there?

You will encounter some steep hills and it will likely be warm. If you are at all concerned, the Trolley or the National Park Tram will make things easier for you. Make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day - many people underestimate the sun in the tropics.

The up hill walk in San Juan can be taxing at times for those who are in shape. Once the sun starts to warm things up and the heat starts radiating off of the blue cobble stone streets it can become a bit challenging.

It would be easier to take the trolley. Once atop the cliff the walk is level, about 3/4 mile and very scenic. You can always walk back down.

From sea level you climb about a hundred feet in a half mile or so. It's not a steep slope but it's not gentle. I'm in pretty good shape and I could do it quickly, but I don't. It's hot. For that reason probably no one in your group is going to be sprinting. There's no point. There's plenty to look at along the way.

I'm sure that some routes are milder than others, but unfortunately I don't pay much attention. I think the route to the left, over the city wall, is relatively gradual. Also scenic, with pelicans flapping about and a view over the harbor.

• 3 months later...

So unfortunately our ship doesn't arrive to San Juan until 4pm. I have been to San Juan numerous times and have been to El Morro but my friend hasn't and he really wants to see it. I know that the fort closes at 6pm and I read that the park rangers do a tour every hour on the hour so I am hoping to grab a cab and get to the fort for the 5pm tour. Does anyone know how much it will cost to take a cab from the pier to the fort? I so wish that we were arriving in the morning instead of at 4pm but that sunset looks wonderful. We will be there next week and the sunset is around 6:30pm so I will try to take a picture.

My mom has MS and tires easily. We will have both her wheelchair and her rollator with us on the cruise. Which would be best for the forts? She can walk using her rollator but she will be slower. However, if we need to take the trolley or shuttle, I think her rollator would be better to use.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My mom has MS and tires easily. We will have both her wheelchair and her rollator with us on the cruise. Which would be best for the forts? She can walk using her rollator but she will be slower. However, if we need to take the trolley or shuttle, I think her rollator would be better to use.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

These two forts are huge and both are multi level, involve steep inclines, and narrow stairways. Personally, I think your mother will find them both to be a challenge whatever aids she uses. I think a wheelchair will be very limiting as to what she will be able to see of either fort.

I am so glad I found this thread! We are stopping in SJ in March from 12 to 8. DH was there when he was in the military 50 years ago & would like to see El Morro again. I was looking at ship excursions & found one for the Rainforest & San Cristobal. I thought it looked interesting. DH has a bad hip & doesn't walk well. He will have a scooter on the ship. I thought we could take a cab to El Morro then take one back to the pier. He would like that instead of the excursion plus the tour doesn't include El Morro. It looks like the cab is a safe bet for him. I did read about the trolley but I don't know how long he would have to stand waiting for the next trolley. How much is the cab fare? Also, are there cabs at El Morro to take back to the ship? How often does the National Park Tram run? Could we catch a cab from San Cristobal back to the ship if we could do both forts?

Edited by PTAngel