Lots of Charleston SC Questions

Racegirl6

I am cruising out of Charleston on September 12. We arrive late on the 10th. Can anyone recommend an affordable hotel that has a port shuttle. Also, what are a few things we can do in the downtown area. We have our 12 year old daughter with us. I love history. Any suggestions would help a ton.

I am cruising out of Charleston on September 12. We arrive late on the 10th. Can anyone recommend an affordable hotel that has a port shuttle. Also, what are a few things we can do in the downtown area. We have our 12 year old daughter with us. I love history. Any suggestions would help a ton.

Fort Sumpter Tour is a must if you have the time.

One of the very best tours we have ever taken. Opened u our interest in the Civil War.

HolidayInn Express has come up during conversations, but never stayed there. No doubt other CC members will have an opinion.

I am cruising out of Charleston on September 12. ...what are a few things we can do in the downtown area. We have our 12 year old daughter with us. I love history.

For history buffs:

• Visit Ft. Sumter
  • Patriots Point Maritime Museum, including the aircraft carrier Yorktown, just across the river in Mt. Pleasant (easy Uber ride, or at one time you could get a ticket good for both Ft. Sumter and Patriots Point and take the ferry to both, not sure if that's still available)
  • If you visit Patriots Point, take another super short Uber ride to Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant (just a mile or 2 down the road from PP) and have lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants. It's fun to sit outside (or inside with a view) and watch the patrons who arrive by boat, the paddle boarders and kayakers in the creek, the pelicans etc.

Additional things that may be of more interest to your daughter:

• Visit Waterfront Park downtown, (not to be confused with Waterfront Park in Mt. Pleasant, which is also nice but obviously less convenient) and have her either wear something she can get wet that dries quickly or her bathing suit under her clothes. The large pineapple fountain there was designed specifically for kids (or adults) to play in it.
  • Walk along the battery, the waterfront area at the southernmost tip of the downtown peninsula- beautiful mansions, a shady park area, and a nice walkway along the water that usually has a good breeze
  • Visit the Charleston Moon Pie Store on Market St....basically a big, somewhat old-fashioned type candy store!
  • Walk and browse the shops along King St.

if you are going to be here for a couple days before hand I would recommend renting a car. That way you can do Patriots Point and Ft Sumter. There are also the plantations on the Ashley River. It also opens up you to cheaper hotels and you an just return the car the morning of you cruise and grab some transportation to the port from the airport.

Are you driving in or flying? Do you just need a shuttle or a hotel with parking during the cruise & shuttle?

You'll find a wealth of information about hotels from the Charleston Convention & Visitors bureau. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/plan-your-trip/lodging~123/

They also have lots of coupons on their site.

I suggest you take a carriage tour downtown. Considered the two most reputable are Palmetto Carriage and Old South Carriage. Don't take one without using a coupon!

Waterbug has a great suggestion about the fountain at waterfront park on Concord at Vendue Range. If you're eating at Shem Creek as she suggested...I like Water's Edge or Shem Creek Bar & Grill. Here's a link to Trip Advisor's Shem Creek restaurant listings. https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g54354-d103516-Shem_Creek_Inn-Mount_Pleasant_South_Carolina.html

Patriots Point has a hotel concierge program where they offer $3 off an adult admission coupon. Ask at your hotel desk or concierge.

Edited by ChucktownSteve