Belize Boat Tour

CozGurl

I've decided to skip the cave tubing and try to find a great boat snorkel tour in Belize. We'd like to do as much snorkeling and boat time as possible.

I do know that there are some cayes that you can go to and snorkel right there, but wouldn't we see more from a boat? Cozumel is that way. You "can" do it from shore but out on a boat is much better.

We usually book privately but not opposed to a Carnival tour if it is super fantastic and better than a private tour.

Anyone have recommendations?

We did Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan....was by FAR the best snorkeling excursion we've done

You can book it using all kids of sites, though I did it through shoreecursioneer

Lemme see if I can find some pics (that honestly don't do it any justice because someone forgot to set the camera to underwater mode).

I do know that there are some cayes that you can go to and snorkel right there, but wouldn't we see more from a boat?

Not sure what you mean; any caye snorkel excursion is only accessible by boat. They will separate you out by skill level, so we had some really good snorkeling with the more experienced group - lots of nice reef and fish.

And to save time, the excursion boat will usually pick you up at the Carnival ship so you don't have to waste time on the 20 min tender ride into town.

Edited by cruisin*tigger

Shark Ray Alley is a good place to snorkel. There are several private vendors who do this tour, some good some not so good. Lots of information on the Belize board. Ship sponsored excursions tend to be very crowded, have cater to a lot of inexperienced snorkelers, but in Belize they will pick you up directly from the ship and return to directly to the ship versus having to tender over tot he pier and tender back.

Here are a handful from that trip:

Hand feeding the tarpon

DSCF0141_zpsldq2yyne.jpg

Lionfish

DSCF0162_zps78ieoek1.jpg

Moray Eel

DSCF0171_zps4v1utrdh.jpg

Green Sea Turtle

DSCF0190_zpsbwosbphf.jpg

Shark (one of MANY)

DSCF0231_zpsco6oadbn.jpg

And rather than 50+ people that were on the ship excursions, we had four.

Edited by Chief1369

We did Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan....was by FAR the best snorkeling excursion we've done

You can book it using all kids of sites, though I did it through shoreecursioneer

Lemme see if I can find some pics (that honestly don't do it any justice because someone forgot to set the camera to underwater mode).

Isn't Hol Chan Marine Reserve off San Pedro Island and Ambergris Caye?

From the pictures you posted, it looks like you went to Caye Caulker.

This is the one we are doing. It goes from the port to Caye Caulker, Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley then back to Caye Caulker for a bit of eating/shopping before taking you back to the boat. I didn't want to have to take a water taxi to Caye Caulker and back.Too risky to me.

:

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/belize/hol-chan-shark-ray-alley-snorkeling-caye-caulker-beach.html

We used Hugh Parkey in Belize. Snorkeled the reef. Picked us up from the ship and returned us there. The excursion included a little beach time on Spanish Lookout Caye. I snorkeled there, too, and saw some amazing large and colorful starfish among the mangroves. Great time!

This is the one we are doing. It goes from the port to Caye Caulker, Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley then back to Caye Caulker for a bit of eating/shopping before taking you back to the boat. I didn't want to have to take a water taxi to Caye Caulker and back.Too risky to me.

:

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/belize/hol-chan-shark-ray-alley-snorkeling-caye-caulker-beach.html

Have a wonderful time on your excursion. My 1st ever cruise I went directly from the Paradise to a speedboat which went to Hol Chan, and after the shark rays and coral garden snorkel, we stopped on San Pedro for lunch. Afterwards, we zoomed back to the ship, I didn't had to tender to the port.

At some point, Carnival discontinued direct ship pickups from independent tour operators. The last two times I went to the so called "shark ray alley" on Caye Caulker, which is south of Hol Chan and San Pedro, and I had to tender in to the port first. I don't know if Carnival has gotten back to direct from the ship pickups and returns. I believe NCL and other lines may still have direct pickup. Anyone clarify this?

Just for your own clarification, you should nail down the meeting point as the blurb says "Your friendly English speaking guide will meet you outside the cruise terminal". Most people don't like going outside the gates of the terminal. It also said you will "return to your Belize tender pier.", not the ship as you said. Otherwise have a fantastic time, and do bring a decent underwater camera to get some wonderful pics!

Edited by evandbob

Have a wonderful time on your excursion. My 1st ever cruise I went directly from the Paradise to a speedboat which went to Hol Chan, and after the shark rays and coral garden snorkel, we stopped on San Pedro for lunch. Afterwards, we zoomed back to the ship, I didn't had to tender to the port.

At some point, Carnival discontinued direct ship pickups from independent tour operators. The last two times I went to the so called "shark ray alley" on Caye Caulker, which is south of Hol Chan and San Pedro, and I had to tender in to the port first. I don't know if Carnival has gotten back to direct from the ship pickups and returns. I believe NCL and other lines may still have direct pickup. Anyone clarify this?

Just for your own clarification, you should nail down the meeting point as the blurb says "Your friendly English speaking guide will meet you outside the cruise terminal". Most people don't like going outside the gates of the terminal. It also said you will "return to your Belize tender pier.", not the ship as you said. Otherwise have a fantastic time, and do bring a decent underwater camera to get some wonderful pics!

I mistyped. I meant back to the port. I don't want to use carnival b/c they don't offer Hol chan so this was the best I could find..port to excursion in lieu of water taxi to island to get to excursion. One less transfer/person to deal with :)

Cave Man Diving (might be Cave Man Tours? I haven't had coffee yet this morning) get a lot of suggestions in the POC sub-forum. Private Vendor out of Caye Caulker (so there is a bit of walking and a water taxi involved to get there). Limited number of people, lots of time in the water, can tailor the trip to the groups wishes depending on full/half day excursion. They have a website, and are on Trip Advisor as well.

I mistyped. I meant back to the port. I don't want to use carnival b/c they don't offer Hol chan so this was the best I could find..port to excursion in lieu of water taxi to island to get to excursion. One less transfer/person to deal with :)

Enjoy it, Hol Chan is not to be missed! Maybe you'll be like me, and after your cruise, decide to go back to San Pedro and Hol Chan for a more intensive land vacation there!

:

Have you seen the Yelp reviews on shore excursioneer?

Mind if I make a suggestion for something else to do in Belize?

Hit the zoo and do animal encounters option where you get up close and personal with several animals.

Why do I suggest that instead of snorkeling?

You can swim face down looking at fish in just about any port you visit and have a similar experience w/o having "missed" anything.

How many places will you be face to face w a jaguar as it kisses the top of your head? Be face to face with another jaguar as you give it a "high five"?

You can't do that in any port you visit.

Mind if I make a suggestion for something else to do in Belize?

Hit the zoo and do animal encounters option where you get up close and personal with several animals.

Why do I suggest that instead of snorkeling?

You can swim face down looking at fish in just about any port you visit and have a similar experience w/o having "missed" anything.

How many places will you be face to face w a jaguar as it kisses the top of your head? Be face to face with another jaguar as you give it a "high five"?

You can't do that in any port you visit.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and if you like the zoo better, fine.

Your comment about looking at fish is the same everywhere is simply not true. Snorkeling along the biggest barrier reef in the henisphere is not something you can do any port.

Some other people may say that close encounters with predators as you describe it is unnatural and goes against the animals' instincts. Some operators will drug their predators to minimize attacks, and use cruel behavioral tactics to neutralize their nature.

In many ports, intimate encounters with predators have been shut down or phased out. Aruba used to have white tigers one could pose with for pictures, but no more.

So you do your animal thing and others will do the reef thing, fair enough?

Have you seen the Yelp reviews on shore excursioneer?

I don't do Yelp reviews. I did research them via trip advisor and various online communities before booking. Shore excursioneer offers a money back guarantee so I'm not worried. Thank you for looking out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not to stir the pot, but I dont do animals in captivity tours. I feel bad for them and I'd be the one person the jaguar decided to bite instead of kiss!

I'll stick to face down in the water exploring beautiful reefs and fish while trying to keep my distance from anything that looks like it might hurt me!