Taipei-Chiang Kai Shek Memorial or National Palace Museum

JoyFrances

We have time contstraints when we are in Taipei and must choose between the Chaing Kai Shek Memorial or the National Palace Museum. Given the options, which one would you choose and why.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Joy

The National Palace Museum has some of the best art pieces from Old China, originally kept by the royal families in Beijing, but shipped to Taipei by the retreating Nationalists in 1949. You can spend hours there.

The CKS Memorial is just an empty space IMHO not worth a trip.

I too vote for National Palace Museum. I particularly liked the jade exhibits and the lovely glassware (china). We had an excellent guide (Christine Wu) and her very large Dutch husband, Jan was just excellent at getting us in and out of the exhibits -- knew what to see and how to approach what you wanted to see without getting bogged down by the huge amount of chattering Chinese tourists with very sharp elbows.

You will need to get a map of museum and decide what you want to see - highlights because just wandering you will use up too much time with stuff you won't necessarily understand (limited signage in English). I thought some of the temples and markets were more interesting than the museum. A good guide with driver sure is a way to see more in a short amount of time. We only had about 10 hours and that included in and out from the airport hotel which Is not close in to town.