My review of the Boatyard in Barbados

xxdance8chikxx

Hello all!! We visited Barbados in August of 2013, and we LOVED it, was our absolute favorite place so I wanted to share my thoughts/pictures for anyone thinking about going there. It was just my bf & I, (24 & 28 at the time).

We took a bus right from the port. As soon as you walk off the ship and out of the little shop areas there are TONS of those white vans waiting to take you where you want to go. They will try to talk you out of going to the Boatyard, don't let them!! Stay firm on where you want to go. There were many other cruisers around us going to the same destination so they will wait for consolidation and finally take you when the van is absolutely packed full. I want to say we paid $5pp for the cab ride there. The cab driver also let us know he would come pick us up back at xx:xx time and he was prompt and on time so we did not worry about time or missing the ship.

When we arrived we paid a small enterance fee. I can't remember how much it cost. I want to say $6-8 USD? We paid with our cc and the receipt was in Barbados dollars so I don't remember exactly. It wasn't expensive. They give you a wristband when you pay and theres a little tab you can pull off for a free drink. They give you a menu of the free drinks included

1174998_2104653693121_1901894870_n.jpg

I had the shark bite which was good. My bf had the pirates punch and he said it was STRONG. We really liked our drinks and continuted to order them throughout the day.

Here is a pic of my later watered down drink, I liked the cup :)

1186190_2104654253135_545224895_n.jpg

Drinks!

1174755_2104653933127_1235219635_n.jpg

The bar area:

1000625_2104653533117_359122330_n.jpg

All beach chairs and umbrellas were included, which was really nice. It wasn't too packed when we got there and we easily grabbed two chairs and an umbrella. I want to say we arrived around 11ish. It did get more crowded later in the day though.

The water is crystal clear here and it's the bluest water i've ever seen (and this was our cruise to the virgin islands!) & the sand was pure white!

999450_2104650813049_26933838_n.jpg

The boatyard also had a lot of water activities. We spent a lot of our day climbing the floating ice berg and swimming to the water trampoline. I even made a 10 year old friend who gave me the courage to go off the rope swing a few times ;)

Rope swing:

1233606_2104653013104_1088614340_n.jpg

999997_2104651693071_1947336220_n.jpg

They also had sand volleyball which the bf LOVED. He played for a few hours. At one point they had some happy hour thing at the bar going on. They announed for all the ladies to run over for free shots. While the bf was playing volleyball I went over and got some free alcohol poured in my mouth (along with also down half my body...). Though they did this, I wouldnt' say this is the atmosphere of a senor frogs or anything you might want to think twice about bringing a family or children to. They only did this once during the day that I saw, and there werent drunk people running around everywhere. It was a very fun upbeat but also relaxing atmosphere. Lots of kids too!

1002844_2104655853175_556236858_n.jpg

Few more pictures:

1236168_2104654813149_1022126582_n.jpg

It did start to get dark part of the day, but we got maybe 5 minutes of rain and it cleared it. It was really a beautiful day.

We did eat lunch there, and I do remember the service being sort of slow. We ordered food at the bar and they have an area of tables that we sat at and they brought our food over to. I had fish & chips and the bf chicken tenders. The food was about average portions, and a little on the pricier side, though not nearly as expensive as other places i've been to (were cruising to grand cayman next week and i've been looking at the beach club food & drink prices :eek:)

All in all we had a great day and barbados was probably our favorite port. Oh, I guess I should mention, we sailed on the Carnival Valor 7 day out of Puerto Rico to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten.

We have enjoyed ourselves at the Boatyard as well but you do want to get there early as it gets very crowded and lounges and cabanas do fill up quickly. As I recall the entrance fee was $12 but did include a drink of their rum punch or a Caribe beer and a shared taxi ride back to the cruise terminal. The whole of Carlisle Beach get very crowded so while there is a 3rd party snorkel service that come to the beach for passengers I found the snorkeling over the wrecks and turtle watch congested and not great....but the open bar on the boat was good.:D

We have enjoyed ourselves at the Boatyard as well but you do want to get there early as it gets very crowded and lounges and cabanas do fill up quickly. As I recall the entrance fee was $12 but did include a drink of their rum punch or a Caribe beer and a shared taxi ride back to the cruise terminal. The whole of Carlisle Beach get very crowded so while there is a 3rd party snorkel service that come to the beach for passengers I found the snorkeling over the wrecks and turtle watch congested and not great....but the open bar on the boat was good.:D

How many ships were in port? Thank You

Great pics! Just wondering, when we go in April (on the Summit) it seems we are the only ship in port, will The Boatyard still fill up early? I ask as we plan to walk over in order to do a little sightseeing and take some pictures before relaxing on the beach. I just wondered with only 1 ship in port if it is still necessary to be there before 10am to ensure getting an umbrella, etc.?

• 1 year later...