Calabaza or Silvermoon-Can't Decide!!

sunlover2

We went on Stiletto last month and it was an amazing trip! Make sure to do the 5 hour trip that includes lunch and a beach swim. This was the best part of our whole cruise they made sure you were taken care of from start to finish. Can't wait to go again!

Does anyone know the price for Calabaza? I cant seem to find it on their website.

I booked my tour with Gina almost a year ago for my upcoming cruise in two weeks and at the time the price was $110/person. I am not sure if that price is still accurate but if you send her an email she will reply quickly.

I just sailed in January with Calabaza and paid $110 per person.

Would this be a good trip for a couple of mid 50's with little or no snorkeling experience? It looks like a wonderful time, but just wondering if it's for us.

Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks!

Absolutely. If u want to try snorkeling the crew will be with u and help u. The water is very calm. Def do it. Yo won't regret it. It's a wonderful experience.

By the way we 're mid to late 50s.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by jerseygirl3

I so appreciate you offering your opinion! I have emailed this company and they have an openings for our day this summer. I am excited about it, but I do have one more concern....

I have two new knees, and this will be my first cruise since surgery. I'm looking so forward to being able to walk around without pain this time! My concern lies with getting in and out of the boat on this excursion. Is it one that you can walk into from the water, or does it require climbing up a ladder? Strength in my knees is something I continue to try to improve, but it's not great yet. Can you help with that concern? How difficult is it to get in and out of the boat.

Thank you so much, once again!!

I so appreciate you offering your opinion! I have emailed this company and they have an openings for our day this summer. I am excited about it, but I do have one more concern....

I have two new knees, and this will be my first cruise since surgery. I'm looking so forward to being able to walk around without pain this time! My concern lies with getting in and out of the boat on this excursion. Is it one that you can walk into from the water, or does it require climbing up a ladder? Strength in my knees is something I continue to try to improve, but it's not great yet. Can you help with that concern? How difficult is it to get in and out of the boat.

Thank you so much, once again!!

It is a ladder (although getting off the boat you can just scoot off the back of the boat from a sitting position. When you board let Gina know you may need help getting up the ladder from the water. Her crew is very helpful and Fabian will be in the water with you anyway so he will assist you.

Enjoy. It will be the highlight if your cruise.

My husband was 12 weeks post knee replacement and tore the meniscus in his other knee on the first day of our cruise when we went with Calabaza last November. He was in a brace and on crutches for the torn meniscus but still was able to exit and enter the water with little to no difficulty. Crew was right there to lend a helping hand if needed. Hope you have a great time!

Thank you so much! You have alleviated one fear! Can I ask one more question?

The pictures on the website show people sitting around the boat. I am a bit concerned about the seating arrangements, too. Are there places that you can sit on the boat that aren't sitting on the floor? I have a real hard time getting up from the floor, and I'd really rather not do it in front of the other sailors! (Believe me, it's not too pretty!)

Chairs/stools on the boat?

Thank you so much! You have alleviated one fear! Can I ask one more question?

The pictures on the website show people sitting around the boat. I am a bit concerned about the seating arrangements, too. Are there places that you can sit on the boat that aren't sitting on the floor? I have a real hard time getting up from the floor, and I'd really rather not do it in front of the other sailors! (Believe me, it's not too pretty!)

Chairs/stools on the boat?

Yes there is a table with benches and there are "carved out" areas on the boat for seating. Also areas that are in the shade. I think you will be fine. The only thing Gina will remind people is if your feet are wet it can get slippery on the indoor floor leading to the restrooms.

We visited Barbados in late February on the Celebrity Summit. We signed up for the Calabaza catamaran excursion months in advance that was organized by someone on our roll call. There were eleven people on the boat with a crew of three, the owner Gina, her son Danny, and Fabian. They were all wonderful. It was a short ten minute drive or so in a van from the cruise pier to the marina. The Calabaza is a beautiful catamaran with a covered seating area, easy to negotiate ladder into and out of the water, plenty of room for everyone to spread out, two heads, and she sailed well, too. Our first stop was Carlisle Bay (I think) where we snorkeled with the sea turtles. The fishermen used to dump the fish waste there, and the sea turtles got accustomed to coming there to feed. Now the tour boats come and feed them. It was so fun to see sea turtles (even petted one's shell). The next stop was a short distance away where we swam over a couple wrecks to see fish. Fabian was our guide in the water at both stops. After snorkeling, we sailed up the west coast to a beach. We anchored near the beach, and were served a delicious lunch. Actually the eating started with banana bread upon boarding, drinks and appetizers after snorkeling, and continuing to the amazing buffet Gina prepared in the ship's galley. It was all delicious. The rum punch was amazing and free flowing. We had time to swim after lunch (we even swam to the beach and walked a bit), and then we sailed back to the marina. It was a fantastic excursion. I had a great time with the other guests and the crew. The van took us back, and we were able to get off in Bridgetown. We walked around a bit, and stopped in a shopping area with local crafts and artwork. It was an easy walk back to the ship. Later Gina sent an email with photos from our trip that she has taken of us and recipes for the delicious food and drinks. That was a very nice, thoughtful, and much appreciated touch. I would highly recommend the Calabaza.

• 3 weeks later...

Myself and hubby and 6 friends booked with Gina in May! Reading everyone's reviews make me that much more excited to be going on this excursion! I will post a review when I return! 30 days 17 hours and 59 minutes til we board the plane to San Juan to begin our 7 day cruise!

Our cruise ship arrived two hours late which meant that we had to cancel our AM reservation. Gina called several customers on her afternoon sailing until she found someone who was able to switch to a different day. Due to her efforts, we had a wonderful time with Gina's son Danny and his crew! They provided non-stop food and drinks and a very fun time was had by all.

Gina sent pictures of our day including underwater shots with the turtles. I highly recommend Calabaza for a great day in Barbados.

We sailed with Calabazza last week while we were in Barbados. Gina and her crew were great. We had a group of 18 which is more than she usually takes, but it worked great for us. Swimming with the turtles was awesome. And the ship wrecks were fun to see. Fabian swam with us the whole time and took lots and lots of pictures. Which Gina has already sent to us along with the recipes for her amazing food. And speaking of food and drink. It was plentiful and very delicious. I have done many snorkling excursions and this trip rates at the top of my list. I don't think you can go wrong with Calabazza, Gina, her son Danny and Fabian. I just wish I was there now.;)

Does anyone know the price for Calabaza? I cant seem to find it on their website.

What is their website? I've found a ton of websites full of reviews but I'd like to go directly through them. I'm hoping they still have availability seeing as my cruise is only a month away!!

Sailed on Calabaza in March. Just want to add my suggestion to go with Gina and crew. It is the best excursion we have been on and we will be repeat customers the next time we are in Barbados.

Not sure that anyone mentioned that all the food served on board is home made by Gina. It was all very good and a much bigger selection that I had imagined.

But wait, there's more. During the day the crew took hundreds (355) pictures. And what it did cost to get copies of a photos?? Nothing!!! After the cruise Gina emailed us a link to the photo site where you could download a zip file containing ALL of them! I've been on other excursions where they tried to sell us a photo for $20 each.

I just can't say enough good things about Calabaza.

We sailed with Calabazza last week while we were in Barbados. Gina and her crew were great. We had a group of 18 which is more than she usually takes, but it worked great for us. Swimming with the turtles was awesome. And the ship wrecks were fun to see. Fabian swam with us the whole time and took lots and lots of pictures. Which Gina has already sent to us along with the recipes for her amazing food. And speaking of food and drink. It was plentiful and very delicious. I have done many snorkling excursions and this trip rates at the top of my list. I don't think you can go wrong with Calabazza, Gina, her son Danny and Fabian. I just wish I was there now.;)

How were you able to get her to go over her # of 12?