New Orleans Cruise Hotel Pre stay?

Checkmate1955

There are a few to choose from, check out the Ports of Call under New Orleans, we're an hour from the dock in New Orleans, but are staying in town the night before to get the party started, we booked at Holiday Inn New Orleans, Royal and Canal with 7 days of parking 149. for the night :D

We stayed at the Marriott on Canal St. I would book this hotel again in a heartbeat! I LOVED the hotel and the location. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier. So not sure about parking rates. I LOVE New Orleans. I felt safe walking at night and the food is soooo good there. The city really seems to never sleep :D

You might try this link - one of the several sites advertising cruise parking deals: http://www.cruisedealsforless.com/bestdealhotels.html

Although we customarily stay at the Sheraton on Canal due to (comfortable beds and) great rates using our "starwood" hotel points - which, I think, makes it cost-effective despite paying the port $100 for week-long parking.

I've never had a problem finding great deals through travelocity, expedia or travelzoo at one of the numerous decent hotels in or around the quarter (prince conti, ambassador, alexa, pelham, even monteleone). All quaint and distinctive and clean. I figure once you factor round-trip taxi from one of the "cruise and park" hotel deals, you come out as well to simply find a hotel deal - then drive yourself to and from the port, parking for $100.

Planning to visit New Orleans the weekend prior to Norwegian Sun's departure (I'm updating our port profile and minibreak, the latter of which, sadly enough, was completed a week prior to Katrina's visit and so never launched), I was frankly shocked at the hotel prices. Everything I tried was in the $200 range. For a Saturday (okay, I can get that) but also for Sunday (the dead night for hotels, the night that falls uneasily between weekend getaway and business travel).

Am I wrong to be so surprised? It was my impression that NOLA hoteliers were hungry for business. It's not that I want to take advantage -- but frankly I feel like $250 a night for a leisure stay is on the high side.

Admittedly, we could do the Hampton Inn for less but it's a romantic getaway and we're willing to splurge, a bit. But with the outrageous airfare on top of the kind-of-outrageous hotel prices.... I am just surprised.

Carolyn

The first NCL Sun cruise is 5 days away, so the weekend before has already passed?

The New Orleans economy is based on tourism and conventions. They are desperate for both. Weekends are often very popular for tourists and well as pre/post convention stays. During the week, hotels are often less expensive.

For a list of what convention might be in town you can check here:

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/static/index.cfm/contentID/127/sectionID/3/subsectionID/0

Where are you looking to stay? In the French Quarter? Near the cruise ships?

I see rates for the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel (one of the hotels NCL uses for pre-cruise stays) is $137/night and is in a great location to explore the French Quarter. Even less for AAA or AARP.

Planning to visit New Orleans the weekend prior to Norwegian Sun's departure (I'm updating our port profile and minibreak, the latter of which, sadly enough, was completed a week prior to Katrina's visit and so never launched), I was frankly shocked at the hotel prices. Everything I tried was in the $200 range. For a Saturday (okay, I can get that) but also for Sunday (the dead night for hotels, the night that falls uneasily between weekend getaway and business travel).

Am I wrong to be so surprised? It was my impression that NOLA hoteliers were hungry for business. It's not that I want to take advantage -- but frankly I feel like $250 a night for a leisure stay is on the high side.

Admittedly, we could do the Hampton Inn for less but it's a romantic getaway and we're willing to splurge, a bit. But with the outrageous airfare on top of the kind-of-outrageous hotel prices.... I am just surprised.

Carolyn

Carolyn

As mentioned above, we have stayed at the Masion St Charles before and will again this weekend. $139 for 4 adults sharing a double queen room with free parking for the duration of the cruise.

The hotel is really nice - Ranked 3 diamonds by AAA

RDS

• 3 weeks later...

We left the car parked and walked to Bourbon Street from the hotel.

We paid $129 for a room for four and $49.98 to park for 8 nights. They took us to the pier in the morning but we had to get back the following Sunday on our own. I left the luggage with my wife and I walked back to get the car and drove to the pier to pick her up. The entire process took less than 1/2 hour.

Hey guys does anyone know anything about the AmeriHost Inn & Suites on canal street? I am a manager at the AmeriHost inn & Suites in Indiana and i get an employee discount (normal runs 149.00 thursday 199 friday) i only have to pay $25.00 a night for any room. I already have reservations but i wanted to make sure i was in a safe neighborhood. Anyone ever stayed here or know anyhting about it. Parking in free as well. My safety and the safety of my family has no price tag so if it is in a bad area i will be more than happy to pay more to stay somewhere safe.

• 2 weeks later...
I already have reservations but i wanted to make sure i was in a safe neighborhood. Anyone ever stayed here or know anyhting about it. Parking in free as well. My safety and the safety of my family has no price tag so if it is in a bad area i will be more than happy to pay more to stay somewhere safe.

I would rate this as a borderline area. Since it's on Canal Street (one of the major streets) you should be OK, but it's a couple blocks out of the range of the "safe" area of the French Quarter. The Canal Streetcars are running, so you shouldn't have trouble getting to/from the hotel - although I don't know their hours.

I wouldn't have any problem with this area during the day, but wouldn't be wandering around there at night. One of the few open project areas is on Rampart and Iberville, which is about 2 blocks away from this hotel - but then it's only a block away from the French Quarter and that's considered a safe area.

If it were me, I'd do it. Definitely not a seriously dangerous area of town.

If it were me, I'd do it. Definitely not a seriously dangerous area of town.

Since you brought up the question of safety, would you mind answering a question. We are going to be staying at the Holiday Inn on Royal and walking about 3 1/2 blocks to the Omni Royal Orleans (and back) on a Wednesday night. Is that OK or would do you think we need to take a taxi?

Thanks!!

LHP: That area would be safe to walk. Just remember, always walk down well lit and traveled streets.

Thanks so much. Hubby always tells me to put my "witch" (using clean lanuage) face on when we walk in unknown areas...as well as staying on those well lit....well traveled streets.

Since you brought up the question of safety, would you mind answering a question. We are going to be staying at the Holiday Inn on Royal and walking about 3 1/2 blocks to the Omni Royal Orleans (and back) on a Wednesday night. Is that OK or would do you think we need to take a taxi?

Thanks!!

If you're not safe there, you're not safe anywhere. I walk that area often - and at all different times. Ya gotta be aware of your surroundings, just like any other tourist town, but I'd say that's one of the safest areas in town.

Has anyone recently booked a hotel in New Orleans for a pre stay before your cruise? We would like to stay a day before and maybe after our cruise and leave our car at the hotel during the cruise.... :) Any suggestions?

I sailed out of NOLA on the Fantasy on 10/26 and stayed the previous night the the Raddison/Kenner/Veterans Avenue. The price was right

for me and they do offer FREE PARKING for those going on cruises. I chose not to take advantage of the free parking because of the logistics

of having to take a cab to the port and back--and that would have been

almost as expensive as the parking at the port would have been.

But--if you have a creative and less expensive method of getting from the

Hotel to the Port (Maybe friends in the area that could provide transportaion?) and back to the hotel again---I would HIGHLY recommend the Raddison. The rooms were very nice and the service was superb.

I am finding that the hotels that I have checked on are requiring a two night stay... Is this what you are doing.. booking two nights... We can only arrive on the Saturday before for a one night hotel stay... It also appears that no hotels are providing transportation to and from the dock... some only to the dock... Thanks

Weekends have always been 2-nt min. If you contact the hotel directly you might be able to get just a Sat nite. I called for my reservation in Feb and booked just a Sat nite ($129 free parking) which is the same weekend that 25000 people are arriving for a convention. As for transportation to the pier you will need to get a cab which is $7pp from Garden District.

We will be sailing on the Norwegian Spirit next November for her relocation cruise. She will then be home ported in NO. This will be a 15 day cruise from NY to NO by way of the Southern Caribbean. We were thinking of staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel for 2 days after the cruise. Could someone please tell me about this hotel and the area that it is in. Is it a safe area to walk in at night? Also how far is the airport from this hotel. This will be our first time in NO. Am looking forward to seeing this beautiful city and enjoying its food. Thank you in advance for any help.

Archived