New Orleans Cruise Hotel Pre stay?

Checkmate1955

We will be sailing on the Norwegian Spirit next November for her relocation cruise. She will then be home ported in NO. This will be a 15 day cruise from NY to NO by way of the Southern Caribbean. We were thinking of staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel for 2 days after the cruise. Could someone please tell me about this hotel and the area that it is in. Is it a safe area to walk in at night? Also how far is the airport from this hotel. This will be our first time in NO. Am looking forward to seeing this beautiful city and enjoying its food. Thank you in advance for any help.

Astor Crowne Plaza is a great hotel - it's on Canal Street between Bourbon Street and Royal Street. That's right on the edge of the French Quarter - within easy walking distance to most places in the Quarter and in one of the safest locations in town.

The airport is in Kenner, which is about 15 miles from the French Quarter. They have an airport shuttle bus, but if there is more than one of you a cab is almost the same cost and you don't have any other stops.

You will be within walking distance to many of the great restaurants in town.

BTW, I am SO jealous - would love to be able to take that cruise!!

Astor Crowne Plaza is a great hotel - it's on Canal Street between Bourbon Street and Royal Street. That's right on the edge of the French Quarter - within easy walking distance to most places in the Quarter and in one of the safest locations in town.

The airport is in Kenner, which is about 15 miles from the French Quarter. They have an airport shuttle bus, but if there is more than one of you a cab is almost the same cost and you don't have any other stops.

You will be within walking distance to many of the great restaurants in town.

BTW, I am SO jealous - would love to be able to take that cruise!!

Thank you map70065 for the information. A friend of ours has told us about the Drury Inn. Do you have any information on this hotel? Sorry for asking so many questions but do need the help deciding.

Thank you map70065 for the information. A friend of ours has told us about the Drury Inn. Do you have any information on this hotel? Sorry for asking so many questions but do need the help deciding.

I've never stayed at the Drury Inn, so can't say how nice the hotel itself is. I have stayed at the Astor and it's wonderful.

Generally, the Drury is farther from the French Quarter (it's on Poydras Street). It's in a safe area, but the walk from the Quarter to there (about 4 blocks) can be questionable at night. Once the St. Charles Streetcar is up (later this year), it would go close enough that you could take it at night.

The Drury does have some excellent additional things - free breakfast, a happy hour at night, free wifi, etc. But for me the hotel is just someplace to sleep and I don't eat breakfast.

So if you're looking for the best location, I'd say the Astor - but if you want the extras, the Drury has them.

Can anyone give me any information on the Quarter House hotel on canal and Chartres st. Is the area nice (safe)? we will have our two kids (8 & 10 ) with us for 2 nights before the cruise and I know the french quarter isnt exactly for kids. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

MPK

We JUST checked into this. They tell us NONE of these deals are applicable and then tried pushing us to Marriott, Hilton, etc. Sounds like a 'bait and switch'.

John

You might try this link - one of the several sites advertising cruise parking deals: http://www.cruisedealsforless.com/bestdealhotels.html

Although we customarily stay at the Sheraton on Canal due to (comfortable beds and) great rates using our "starwood" hotel points - which, I think, makes it cost-effective despite paying the port $100 for week-long parking.

I've never had a problem finding great deals through travelocity, expedia or travelzoo at one of the numerous decent hotels in or around the quarter (prince conti, ambassador, alexa, pelham, even monteleone). All quaint and distinctive and clean. I figure once you factor round-trip taxi from one of the "cruise and park" hotel deals, you come out as well to simply find a hotel deal - then drive yourself to and from the port, parking for $100.

HappyLogan,

Check this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427145

about the Drury Inn.

steamboats

Archived