Western Caribbean Excursions

JennyG123

Hi...my family and I will be doing the Western Carib itinerary and I have been trying to do as much research as possible for our excursions. I love reading everyones reviews and suggestions so I thought if I could get info in one place, it would be great. We are visiting Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Mahogany Bay. I do know the kids would like to do an ATV excursion that I believe thru Carnival is in Costa Maya. If you have done this thru a private company or at a different island that you would recommend, it would be awesome. Also, they are not interested in cave tubing in Belize so we are looking for something other than that. Any excursion info you can share on any of these islands would be very welcomed! Thanks!!

I agree with OCruisers...there is a world of information on the Ports of Call Section. If you scroll down to "Ports of Call", go under "Caribbean" and they will list all of the islands. Here's a link directly to that section: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

We've been on two Western Caribbean cruises now, one in 2006 and the most recent this past April. There is just so much to see and do and we had a hard time making a decision and we only had about 35 days planning in advance this this was kind of "I'm sick of winter/cold weather" last minute cruise. There are some wonderful excursions that you can book through directly through Carnival in addition to many private tour companies. There seems to be something for everyone. I didn't discover Cruise Critic until April 2010, just before we went on our cruise that year but it has been so helpful in planning our past two cruises - so many options we would have not known about. I hope this is helpful in some way, but it's kind of hard to recommend one tour to someone when there are some many we haven't done yet. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Agree with the others, lots of info on the other areas here.

But if you like snorkeling or diving, Belize and Roatan are on the barrier reef, second largest in the world. I've done it a few times and when we go back in Dec, already have the snorkel excursions in place.

I have been to Belize twice, both times on a cruise ship, but two very different "excursions". The first time we were there, we did the Goff's Caye snorkeling, as far as snorkeling, we have seen more fish in Cozumel. The boat to the caye was overcrowded, the group snorkeling was too big. As far as Goff's Caye, it was by far one of the most beautiful islands I have ever been to. I have the most fond memories of the water temperature, the sun, the beach, the quiet time spent with my DH munching on a lobster ka bob and slurping down an orange Fanta.

The second time we were there, we wandered on our own, We had a mission, but not with a group. We walked through town to the museum. Oh my! Staying on the ship will keep you blind to poverty and third world worries, but I strongly suggest that as long as ships cruise here, get off the boat, and thank God for what you do have. Spend money here. Oh, it was a great museum, very hot, and I would do it again, but maybe with more than just DH and I. :o And you have to act like you know what you are doing, and where you are going, or the locals will try to beg the life out of you, taxi's, hair braiding, prostitution, (yeah you read me right) horse drawn carriages, just say no, and tell them you know where you are going, and don't need help. Period.