Worst Time to Cruise for Hubbard Glacier

jormot

Is late May (week before Memorial Day) a bad time for Hubbard Glacier. I understand that there is always a chance the ship won't make it to the Glacier but is going earlier in the season a bad idea? Do we have a better chance later in the season?

Is late May (week before Memorial Day) a bad time for Hubbard Glacier. I understand that there is always a chance the ship won't make it to the Glacier but is going earlier in the season a bad idea? Do we have a better chance later in the season?

May, has had several cases of a lot of ice. But, trying to make plans on "chances" with Hubbard Glacier is a waste of time. You won't know, until you get there. There are multiple reasons for early ship turn arounds, including cpt decisions.

Even mid-july we didn't get real close. We had a lot of problems with fog that made me wonder if we were even going to be able to head in, and then we ran into a pretty decent ice block that was still quite a ways from the glacier (I'd guess at least 5+ miles).

We've been in mid to late May the last 3 years and luckily our captain's on RCI Radiance have given us amazing up close views...but that can easily change and can never be counted on.