Valley Church Beach - feedback on beach & taking a taxi?

mira577

I'm looking to Valley Church Beach for a day trip while we are there on the Celebrity Summit this April. Has anyone been recently? Just looking for feedback on the beach & the facilities. It has gotten mixed reviews and I'm trying to decide between doing this on our own via taxi or doing an excursion to Dickenson Bay Beach (which we've done before and it was okay).

Thoughts & feedback is greatly appreciated!

Amanda

I loved our visit to Valley Church Beach. It was beautiful and had everything we needed for a nice day at the beach. You can easily grab a cab by going to the tour booth once you walk off the pier and tell them where you want to go. They will hook you up with a driver that will depart as soon as the van is full (very quickly). It costs us $8 each way. The driver will offer to pick everyone up at a designated time, but since we were riding with a couple different groups, we each decided to grab whatever van was available when we were ready to leave. There were plenty of waiting vans to go back. It's a lot less expensive to go on your own than pay extra for an excursion. The tour desk at the dock is very good at pointing you in the right direction.

I have a review with lots of pictures of the beach on my Caribbean Princess review attached to my signature. Just scroll until you come to the right page.

• 2 weeks later...

We docked at St John, Antigua from 7:00am-5:00pm. We were the only ship in port. Yeah!!

The ship docks right in St John.

We had a nice beach day at Valley Church Beach. I know it looked empty when we got there. but, I t got crowded by afternoon.

We took a taxi with 4 other people. [$32 for 1-3 or $8 pp] There is only one restaurant here, The Nest. It sells food/drinks and has restrooms.

They rent chairs [$5pp] and umbrellas [$10] We rented two chairs and sat under a very shady tree.

Valley Church beach is not good for snorkeling. The water is not clear enough. It has a milky look--but, the sand is soft.. I know I read why this is—but, I can not remember.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 4 weeks later...

We were also in Antigua a few weeks ago and spent the day at Valley Church Beach. We walked through town to the bus station beside the market and caught the bus for $1.50 each. We asked the bus driver to let us off at Valley Church. The beach is beautiful and there were only two ships in port the day we were there so it wasn't overly crowded. We rented loungers for $5.00 each and there are quite a few trees for shade so we didn't bother with an umbrella.

We were told a taxi for two people would cost us $32 each way so we decided on the bus. Last time in Antigua we also took the bus to Jolly Beach so we had no problem with doing that.

• 3 months later...
We were also in Antigua a few weeks ago and spent the day at Valley Church Beach. We walked through town to the bus station beside the market and caught the bus for $1.50 each. We asked the bus driver to let us off at Valley Church. The beach is beautiful and there were only two ships in port the day we were there so it wasn't overly crowded. We rented loungers for $5.00 each and there are quite a few trees for shade so we didn't bother with an umbrella.

We were told a taxi for two people would cost us $32 each way so we decided on the bus. Last time in Antigua we also took the bus to Jolly Beach so we had no problem with doing that.

Which beach did you prefer and why? I'm trying to decide between the two :)

Edited by PurrSusan

Which beach did you prefer and why? I'm trying to decide between the two :)

Oh gosh.. that's a real tough question since they are both beautiful beaches. Valley Church seemed a little less crowded but I think a lot depends on how many ships are in port the day you are there. Valley Church had a bit of a drop when you step in the water. It didn't bother us but I've read a few threads that said some people had a problem with it, especially getting out of the water. We found Valley Church a much shorter walk when we came off the bus.

Jolly Beach is beautiful as well and you could actually walk out quite a bit in the water --no drops or anything. The walk from where the bus dropped us off was a little bit further than the walk to Valley Church but it really wasn't bad. Heck, for $1.50 each, we don't mind getting a bit of exercise. Both beaches had places where you could get food and drinks. If I remember correctly, there was a bit more shade at Valley Church whereas at Jolly Beach it was pretty much open.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them. For myself, I'd probably go back to Valley Church but like I said, there is a bit of a drop when you step in the water! Have fun! Wish I was going back to Antigua;)

Thanks so much for your reply! Several years ago we went to a beach at the end of a tour & I was thinking that it was Valley Church. I'm pretty sure now that it was. I lost my balance & had a really hard time getting out of the water. I just kept "rolling" with the tide! Of course my pride was hurt more than anything else. I think we'll try Jolly this time because my DH has arthritis in his hips & it might be easier for him. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I'm looking to Valley Church Beach for a day trip while we are there on the Celebrity Summit this April. Has anyone been recently? Just looking for feedback on the beach & the facilities. It has gotten mixed reviews and I'm trying to decide between doing this on our own via taxi or doing an excursion to Dickenson Bay Beach (which we've done before and it was okay).

Thoughts & feedback is greatly appreciated!

Amanda

I recommend doing Valley Church beach,Or Jolley beach which is right next to Valley.Dickerson beach is nice but if there are more than one ship in port you may find that all the excursions go to Dickerson beach.It could be very busy as we once found out.

Thanks so much for your reply! Several years ago we went to a beach at the end of a tour & I was thinking that it was Valley Church. I'm pretty sure now that it was. I lost my balance & had a really hard time getting out of the water. I just kept "rolling" with the tide! Of course my pride was hurt more than anything else. I think we'll try Jolly this time because my DH has arthritis in his hips & it might be easier for him. Thanks again!

Jolly can also be hard to get out of. Dh was supposed to come back in the water to help me but he fell asleep. My exit from the water was also not pretty.