Great Stirrup Cay cabana

mom2girlsVT

There are 14 small cabanas, numbered 11 through 23, in a row, with #11 being the first cabana you encounter as you walk (or ride a tram) from the tender boat dock. I think the views from all the cabanas are similar, but that is of course my unqualified opinion since I really only experienced the view from #21. It just seemed like the all views would be similarly very nice.

As far as location, most people would obviously say it's better to be closer to the restrooms and the food area, which would be the lower-numbered cabanas starting with #11. However, even being at the further end (#21), I didn't feel it was a long walk to the nearest restroom area or to the food area. But if anyone in your party has mobility issues, they might feel differently.

A couple of notes:

Although there are a secondary food area and a secondary bar (which are nearer to the cabanas than the primary food and bar areas), these secondary areas are not open when the Sky visits GSC. Apparently they're only open when the larger ships visit. I'm not 100% sure whether this is ALWAYS the case for the Sky, but reports from CC posters seem to confirm it.

If you book your cabana online, it does not allow you to select a specific cabana number. The numbers are probably assigned in sequential order as the reservations are received. And I'd recommend that you do reserve your cabana online as soon as you are able to (rather than waiting onboard), because you always run the risk of them selling out.

Still several months away, but have a great time on your cruise and GSC!

Great post. Can confirm all of it!

Would add that the first small cabana has two paths on both sides and may feel less private (although they all face the beach and are quite open) but it's the closest to the cabana's bar. Also tram stop #3 is near the lower numbered ones and stop #4 near the lagoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question, if you book a cabana, would it be a good "centralized" spot? In other words, DH and I would LOVE to have the cabana. A bit of sun, then shade. But our adult kids and their spouses might not be as into that. Would a cabana rental be convenient that as they wanted to take a break from whatever it was they were doing, to come back and hang out with us?

• 1 month later...
We are on the Getaway 2/7/16 and I just booked a large Cabana today.

We will see you there! We also have a large cabana booked for that sailing. Have you found our roll call page yet?

• 2 weeks later...
My husband & I are sailing on Breakaway over Thanksgiving week, 2015, and I'd love to share a cabana & its cost with another couple. My question is, for a small cabana, is there sand directly in front of it? I am a beach bum and prefer sand while my husband prefers a lounge & shade.

I was curious about the exact same thing... we are sailing a month earlier than you, otherwise I would be all over sharing this!

Yes, I saw -- thank you. I was hoping for a wider angle view, but I think I can see what I need from the map. Thanks!

It's a small bay/beach, rocky bottom, the large beach is a three minute walk.

Found an aerial;

NPI-gallery-900x400-06.jpg

See the patch of grass in the middle, with some trees and rocks? To the right of that are the small cabanas.

It's a small bay/beach, rocky bottom, the large beach is a three minute walk.

Found an aerial;

NPI-gallery-900x400-06.jpg

See the patch of grass in the middle, with some trees and rocks? To the right of that are the small cabanas.

Outstanding - thank you so much!

• 1 month later...
My husband & I are sailing on Breakaway over Thanksgiving week, 2015, and I'd love to share a cabana & its cost with another couple. My question is, for a small cabana, is there sand directly in front of it? I am a beach bum and prefer sand while my husband prefers a lounge & shade.

Luke Saint Joe:

My partner and I are looking to share a cabana. I am a beach bum and like snorkeling and my partner prefers shade too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Are there attendants fro the cabanas? Will they bring drinks and such regularly?

There are 14 small cabanas, numbered 11 through 23, in a row, with #11 being the first cabana you encounter as you walk (or ride a tram) from the tender boat dock. I think the views from all the cabanas are similar, but that is of course my unqualified opinion since I really only experienced the view from #21. It just seemed like the all views would be similarly very nice.

As far as location, most people would obviously say it's better to be closer to the restrooms and the food area, which would be the lower-numbered cabanas starting with #11. However, even being at the further end (#21), I didn't feel it was a long walk to the nearest restroom area or to the food area. But if anyone in your party has mobility issues, they might feel differently.

A couple of notes:

Although there are a secondary food area and a secondary bar (which are nearer to the cabanas than the primary food and bar areas), these secondary areas are not open when the Sky visits GSC. Apparently they're only open when the larger ships visit. I'm not 100% sure whether this is ALWAYS the case for the Sky, but reports from CC posters seem to confirm it.

If you book your cabana online, it does not allow you to select a specific cabana number. The numbers are probably assigned in sequential order as the reservations are received. And I'd recommend that you do reserve your cabana online as soon as you are able to (rather than waiting onboard), because you always run the risk of them selling out.

Still several months away, but have a great time on your cruise and GSC!

We have rented two large cabanas for our group for our cruise in June (we're sailing on the Sky). I understand the attendants will bring drinks, but will they also bring food (outside of what we'll be ordering "extra" off the cabana menu--the food from the buffet?)

Edited by chapchap

We have rented two large cabanas for our group for our cruise in June (we're sailing on the Sky). I understand the attendants will bring drinks, but will they also bring food (outside of what we'll be ordering "extra" off the cabana menu--the food from the buffet?)

Not sure about what you exactly mean;

The pre ordered food (from the credit) will be brought around upon arrival or is waiting in your cabana.

The buffet is self service. No butlers on the island. ;)

There are no a la carte food venues. And if I recall correctly there's no food/snacks at the bars either.

In our experience, your cabana attendant *may* bring items back from the buffet for you. We tipped our attendant well and we had buckets of beer and frozen drinks all day, plus plenty of refills on our chips and salsa, plus the food that we ordered and more. He offered to bring us specific items back from the buffet, but we declined (most of us were stuffed from the food that we had in the cabana and the others wanted to see what the buffet had to offer first hand).

• 2 months later...

I just checked our sailing in March 2017 and it looks like a large cabana is $499! Yikes!!! If you are splitting a cabana with multiple staterooms, will NCL split the cost between staterooms so everyone can apply their OBC? With UBP & SD, not sure we would be interested in spending the OBC on much else. Not to mention $499 is $200 more than the advertised large cabana price.

I just checked our sailing in March 2017 and it looks like a large cabana is $499! Yikes!!! If you are splitting a cabana with multiple staterooms, will NCL split the cost between staterooms so everyone can apply their OBC? With UBP & SD, not sure we would be interested in spending the OBC on much else. Not to mention $499 is $200 more than the advertised large cabana price.

The cabana is a shore excursion and needs to be booked by one and only one person. So splitting via NCL is not an option I guess, sorry.