Alcoholic drinks prices

funky60sflower

We have decided against the £17 drinks package offered on our cruise this month on CMV Baltic trip on Magellan. From the discussion here, it seems clear one would need to be drinking a LOT each day! We have 4/12 days at sea.

So, can you advise what we can expect to pay for a beer or glass of wine please? I read somewhere to expect something similar to UK pub prices? Is there a reasonable range of wine to choose from? My family enjoy a wide range of wine and beer :)

Thanks very much.

Edited by funky60sflower

£17 ????? :confused:

Is that £17 per day?

Extremely reasonable.

Works out at £114 pp pw.

That's about our average spend & we're not heavy drinkers - though with the package we'd certainly drink more ;)

Or is it a typo?

£170 per week?

Still much lower than Thomson, which has vaguely similar bar & wine prices, but it's a chunk more than we'd spend.

Check for terms & exclusions.

it's reasonable to expect champagne & high-end spirits to be excluded, and for only house wine to be included, but if there are supplements for anything other than basic drinks ................

It's 2 or 3 years since we sailed with C&M & no package was offered but I can confirm that then the bar & wine prices were similar to provincial pubs, though I don't recall any details.

C&M is a small cruise line with almost 100% British clientele, and Cruise Critic's membership is overwhelmingly North American, so you may be disappointed with a dearth of info on here, and the same with the RollCall.

You might glean some info by trawling the "other cruise lines" forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218 but if you can't get sufficient info from here, from C&M, or from elsewhere, you might be able to buy the package on-board once you've seen the prices & terms.

In your circumstances if the cost is £170 pw I think that's what I'd do.

JB :)

ps if you want to ask any more questions about the ship, best to quote C&M in the title.

And for info about the ports go to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=192

Note particularly the info & advice about independent tours in St Petersburg. Cruise lines try to give the impression that you have to take a ship's tour or buy a visa (a long, expensive & complicated business involving travel to London or Edinburgh for finger-printing). But tours booked with local operators such as Alla Tours, TJ Travel, SPB Tours, Best Guides, etc have the same visa-free status as ships' tours.

Edited by John Bull

From another cruise enthusiasts' website, don't know how up-to-date:

Bottle of beer £2.70

Soft drinks £2.05

Glass of wine £5

Spirit + mixer £3.50

No service charge.

Higher than I'd expected.

P & O publish their price lists for drinks etc.

If you go to their site : P & O Cruises

Frequently asked questions

type in What is the cost of drinks on board?

and you will get the list to download which is up to date. I don't think any beer is more than £3.75. Wines are around £3 50 / £3.75 and so on...........

P & O publish their price lists for drinks etc.

If you go to their site : P & O Cruises

Frequently asked questions

type in What is the cost of drinks on board?

and you will get the list to download which is up to date. I don't think any beer is more than £3.75. Wines are around £3 50 / £3.75 and so on...........

Hi, silver surfer.

The OP is on Magellan, a Cruise & Maritime ship.

No connection with P&O.

Nice try, but wrong cruise line ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much to everyone here for sharing experience and advice. The recommended links were helpful, found others who had asked the same question for the same ship. It seems that £17pp per day is reasonable but think we're going to wait until we board and see what is on offer. I am not convinced the house wine in the drinks package will be to our liking.