Wundermunde, Rostock or both?

We booked a tour through Alla Tours (St. Petersburg-based) to see Warnemunde and Rostock. Since we docked in Rostock instead of Warnemunde we couldn't to the typical tours to Schwerin. I'm not sure if this was available only because we couldn't dock in Warnemunde but it might be worth asking about. We did walking tours of both places with lunch in Rostock.

We are on the same cruise on June 1 out of Copenhagen. We will be in Warnemonde on June 6th and are taking the Mega Mecklenburg tour with Friends of Dave. Search them on Trip Advisor, amazing reviews.

If you book, let him know David Campigotto referred you.

We visited both Warnemuende and Rostock last summer on our cruise. We prefer sightseeing on our own and here's what we did:

Our ship was one of the few which docked in Rostock instead of Warnemuende. It didn't really matter because the cruiseline (HAL) offered a free ferry from the Rostock port to Warnemuende. Once we reached Warnemuende, we walked a short distance into the center of town and rented bicycles. There is an excellent bike path which runs along the coastline out of Warnemuende to some pretty little towns. The scenery on this path is lovely! Bike rental was only 9 euros for the whole day (but we only rode about 3 hours.)

After getting some fish sandwiches for lunch, we walked around Warnemuende a little (pretty town, but crowded in summer) and headed to the train station to catch the S-bahn to Rostock. In Rostock, we walked from the train station to the old Stasi Prison. ("Stasi" was the East German Secret Police). The prison is now a free museum and it was fascinating, especially if you have an interest in Cold War history. The exhibits are primarily in German, but there is a free audiotour which you can take. We were here about 90 minutes and then walked into the center of town and did some shopping and sightseeing along the pedestrian zone. We then picked up the free bus which HAL provided to take us back to the ship.

If we hadn't had our hearts set on the bike trip and the tour of the prison (we are big Cold War history nerds), we probably would have spent this day going to Schwerin. The train to Schwerin from Rostock takes only about an hour and, if you leave after 9am, there are special group rates. (Last summer the RT group fare was 35 euros for up to 5 passengers--a great deal!) If your boat docks in Warnemuende, it's easy to get to Rostock--just take the S-bahn which is about a 20-minute ride. Since your ship is in port so long, you'll have plenty of time for a nice trip to Schwerin.

If you want more information on Schwerin, take a look at the thread by "Travelanni" called, "Welcome to NE Germany--happy to help you enjoy". Travelanni has a lot of helpful info on how to get to Schwerin and what to do there.

You can walk 10 minutes down the road to get a bus to take you to Bad Doberan where you can board the Molli steam train that takes you through the streets and out in to the country.This ends on the coast at Kuhlungsborn where you can walk along the beach, get lunch at one of many eateries, get the steam train back to Bad Doberan. Cross the platform and get the train to Rostock, then the tram to the city centre. Walk round (or whatever), get the tram back to the station then the train back to Warnemunde. The whole thing will cost less than €25 ($30) each (as all transport except for the steam train is on one ticket) plus lunch and spending money. Its a great day out! If you want to know how to do it, drop me an e mail for a 'how to do it' reply.

Simon

Anni used to post quite often on this board, but she's stepped back a bit. BUT we do have the good luck to be able to use her website geared for cruise ship passengers and how to DIY for Warnemunde and environs.

http://travelanni.webs.com/ This is a wealth of information including train timetables and other ways to get around.

Anni used to post quite often on this board, but she's stepped back a bit. BUT we do have the good luck to be able to use her website geared for cruise ship passengers and how to DIY for Warnemunde and environs.

http://travelanni.webs.com/ This is a wealth of information including train timetables and other ways to get around.

Thanks Sauer-kraut. I have 'stepped back a bit' over winter due to other commitments but am now back in harness.

In future I intend to expand the web site to cover most of the questions I have been asked and hope that people will look there first to save answering the same questions over and over again but I will still be happy to answer specific questions on my thread 'Welcome to NE Germany - Happy to help you enjoy' if the answer cannot be found on the web site.

To Donna_In_India.

Warnemunde is not a city, it is a seaside suburb of Rostock. For details see my web site.

Happy cruising,

Anni.

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni--I have seen some comments about other tour providers for our stop in Warnemunde/Rostock/Schwerin/Mecklenburg, but are wondering if you could suggest other tour companies for this area? We've been to Berlin when we lived in Germany (fantastic 3 years in the early '80s), and would like to explore the WRSM neighborhood.

Thanks Sauer-kraut. I have 'stepped back a bit' over winter due to other commitments but am now back in harness.

In future I intend to expand the web site to cover most of the questions I have been asked and hope that people will look there first to save answering the same questions over and over again but I will still be happy to answer specific questions on my thread 'Welcome to NE Germany - Happy to help you enjoy' if the answer cannot be found on the web site.

To Donna_In_India.

Warnemunde is not a city, it is a seaside suburb of Rostock. For details see my web site.

Happy cruising,

Anni.

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

City is a generic term for city, town, suburb, village, etc. :)

After advice, we have done Berlin so do not want to do there, can anyone suggest any other travel excursions "apart from Friends of Dave"? doing Rostock on our own is plan B, after other options, please! :)

Thanks

Sarah

The option we did (see post 5) is still a great day out in my opinion.

Simon

Are you interested in biking around Warnemuende? If so, read my posting in #4. We had a really enjoyable 1/2 day of biking and a 1/2 day of sightseeing (mostly the Stasi Prison) in Rostock.

I'll be glad to go back to my trip notes and find the info on the bike shops, etc. if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Last June we had a lovely day visiting both. Got off the ship in Warnemunde and did a walk-about in the town center, made my obligatory church-of-the-day visit, a bit of shopping and then got a group (there were 4 of us) ticket for the train to Rostock. This ticket was very inexpensive and included the local transport system in Rostock. Got the local tram to a brewery and the zoo (across the street from each other). Lovely lunch at the brewery and self guided tour of the facility. Took the tram back to town center and street market. Great strawberries! More church visits and lovely architecture around the square. Trained back to Warnemunde and re-boarded in time for a local band performing on the ship and a beer and brats feast. Only disappointment: the shops in Warnemunde close at 18:00 - we had hoped to buy a great pair of shoes we had seen earlier but alas, we were 10 minutes late.