Norwegian Jade Mediterranean Passports?

metsfan47

See here the answer i gave you in the other ports cruise threads you started:

I would carry them.

It's up to you if you do this but you mist be able to identify yourself at any time/moment in any country (and only an official ID is allowed and that's passport or European ID card).

Then if you (let's hope not) end up missing the ship for whatever reason you have to have your passport to get out of that country back home....

Just completed a21 day Med cruise on the Royal Princess. Only took my passport off once in Barcelona because Princess was boarding new passengers and advised everyone to carry their PPs. Did not need it to reboard there and did not need it anywhere else. Did not in fact even need a photo ID on return at any of the 16 ports we stopped in.

There is a difference what the cruise ship advice you to do and what is the law in the country you visit.

By law: in the EU you have to carry your ID with you at ALL times. You must be able to identify yourself at any time, any point.

If you don't carry your ID then you can be arrested (again by law). The chance that you get asked for your ID is very slim (unless you do something prohibited) and the chance that you get arrested even slimmer because most of the time they let you go with a slap in the fingers or otherwise a fine.

And btw:

A Photocopy isn't enough if your asked for your ID by law officers.

This issue has been argued many times on this forum and basically revolves around 2 points. The pro carry people and until this cruise I was in that camp are always concerned that something might happen, the worst being you missed your ship, or were involved in some crime so you needed hard and fast ID which is your passport. The anti carry crowd worries over the risk of theft, particularly being pickpocketed as a man or having a purse stolen and thus losing the passport which you would ultimately need.

I would take yvet's comments for what they are worth and let you make the decision as to what to do. In hundreds of days of European travel I have never been asked for my PP on routine travel days ashore. There are exceptions St. Petersburg being the obvious one. Even on land vacations it is much rarer to be asked for your PP once past the initial port of entry although a hotel in Greece did so last week so I generally keep it available then. I suspect some other euro travelers will leap in here with opinions as well.

If you do leave it on the ship do so in the safe as it will be easy for ships personnel to find if needed. Also I do carry a copy of the photo page with me opposite where the actual PP is, I.e. either on me or left aboard if I take the original. Tho it is not a legal document it at least has all the pertinent information, who otherwise remembers their PP number and expiration dates.

Enjoy your cruise

Most European hotels require a passport for checking in, I have always been asked. Past that only when crossing the border, which you rarely will do in port for the day, have I needed a passport. I carry my drivers licence which is an ID and leave my passport on board in the safe.

• 3 weeks later...

We live in Wales which is in the EU and I have never heard of any law which requires me to carry official ID at all times. UK citizens don't have ID cards and not everyone has a passport or driving licence. We take a copy of our passports in case we are stranded anywhere but our passports stay safely in the cabin safe. I would be scared of losing them.

This is urban myth. Nowhere in western Europe do you need to carry a passport , the only exception is Russia. Off of a cruise ship you do not need to carry a passport, the only thing that you could do is lose it, have it stolen.

My advice is do not carry, you do not need except in Russia, travel light and enjoy!

The ship will notify the pax when carrying your passport is necessary. Read the daily bulletin carefully. Sometimes when crossing a border in Europe during an excursion carrying a passport is recommended. Also because of issues in Europe very recently, procedures may change.