best beach in Tortola

Mandy412

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Are there any beaches in Tortola that you can walk to from the ship. All the beaches sound wonderful. We also need a very calm waters....my husband does a long distance swim about an hour, so any waves would not be good....what would then be our best bet?

We went to Cane Garden Beach and though it was crowded, I didn't feel like we were to close to others on the beach or in the water.

Reading posts we may want to try Brewers next time, just to compare.

The ride to CGB was an adventure itself, steep climbs, deep turns and a slight role back down when the driver changed gears. Glad when we arrived to the beach, it was worth the roller coster trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Taxi to Brewers or CGB is about 20 minutes and ~$8pp each way, drivers that drop folks there will arrange for a pick-up at a predetermined time.

So no worries! There's a youtube video of the ride all the way there if you want to check it out.

This wall has been great. Thanks for all the info. Leaning towards Brewers as we love snorkeling. Usually book things through the ship though. If your taxi doesn't come back, is there more there. Our ship gets in early, but leaves at 3. Just concerned about getting stuck and missing the ship. Seen too many left running down the pier. Also, is there any snorkeling gear rental in the area for our friends (not sure if they have there own gear). Thank you.

Hi

Are there any beaches in Tortola that you can walk to from the ship. All the beaches sound wonderful. We also need a very calm waters....my husband does a long distance swim about an hour, so any waves would not be good....what would then be our best bet?

No beaches are within walking distance from the cruise dock. Nanny Cay is probably the shortest taxi but I would look at other beaches.

The north side beaches are beautiful and typically calm, but they can also be very rough during sea swells and in the winter months. Not sure when you are there, but there's no guarantee of calm waters at any of the beaches.

But Brewers Bay or Smuggler's Cove would be my recommendation, Cane Garden Bay will be very busy. Brewers has one beach bar and you will see many others there from the shop, while Smuggler's is more secluded and should be very quiet. Nigel may be selling drinks and food at Smuggler's.

Another option is Long Bay, Beef Island. Long Bay, West End is a picture postcard long walking beach, but it can be rougher there. There are no facilities at LB Beef and more a locals beach.

Taxi to Brewers is $8pp each way and the driver will return. Taxi to the other beaches mentioned is a little more and you definitely need the driver to return.

Brewers would be a good choice unless you want a more secluded beach like SC or LB Beef.

Edited by blue_water

Is the taxi ride to Long Bay the same route as to Brewers or CGB? It has been said, not for the faint of heart. I do not like mountainous roads and this would not be fun for me. Is Long Bay the same type of ride?

No you'll travel along the coast toward Soper's Hole (West End) on a mostly flat road, then go over Zion Hill Road to meet the North Coast Road. That hill is much smaller and less steep than the main spine you go over to get to the other beaches. You'll see on the map in the link below that's also the narrowest point to cross. Long Bay is to the left over a small knoll.

http://jpcole.com/jpcole/Tortola-Road-Map.gif

Another option with a relatively flat drive is Marina Cay, you'll find mention of that in my posts in other threads here if interested...

Thanks so much. Can you clarify something... I found 2 Long Bays. I found the one you were talking about at the west end but found another on the other side by Lambert Bay.

Do you know the cost of the taxi to the Long Bay in the West end? Do you know how long it takes to get there?

How long of a ride to get to Marina Cay. I found info on taxi prices and the 15 min ferry ride. How long to Trellis Bay?

I like your suggestion of Long Bay without the steep mountainous roller coaster ride. Thanks.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

We've not been Lambert Bay/Long Bay. If you look further east you'll see another Long Bay by the airport. This is Long Bay, Beef Island. Gorgeous beach frequented more by locals, no amenities at all there.

Taxi to both Long Bay, West End and Trellis Bay is $14pp one way for 2 ppl or $12pp for 3 or more, both about 25 min.

Edited by blue_water

Do the cabs/restaurants/other people & places take credit cards? I'm trying to gauge how much tangible cash I'll need in Tortola, if we are there for the day, doing some sort of excursion to a beach/beach bar.

Which beach is the water the clearest, that has a bar/restaurant, with beach chairs and shade? We have 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 6 & 10 going next week!

Reading some of the reviews of the Baths has me a little nervous about the strenuous parts, as our 70 year old grandfather is going with us too....

• 4 weeks later...
Yes the NCL Escape is the only ship in port on both June 1 and Oct 5. However I've seen large groups on cruisecritic planning to go to Brewers, and that can change the experience drastically. For that reason we like Long Bay (West End) when there's a large ship in port.

However if you want to include snorkeling Brewers Bay is a better option. Just check your ship roll call so you'll know if there are any larger groups planning on BB so you're not surprised and waste precious time going to another beach from there.

Does BB have snorkel equip? a restaurant to eat lunch? beach bar? chairs with waiters?

thanks