Little French Key

Robert Strobel

I read some amazing reviews and saw some beautiful pics of this place..

Havent read that many threads here though ??? was wondering if any

have done and what were their thoughts as opposed to other tours for the day... thanks in advance for any info.. :)

my GF and I went on a cruise to Isla Roatan in April. I had looked around but had not found much that appealed to the both of us. We were traveling with my family, my dad, brother and his girl went to bannarama to snorkle. Sister and her girlfriends went to the beach right by the cruise ship. About 2 weeks before we sailed I happened to catch a review about a place called Frenchy's 44. Someone had said the food delicious and the service excellent, and you could even go to a private island and hang out on the beach.

They didn't even do this place justice by saying that! Frenchy's 44 is the same as the French Key. Its absolutley beautiful and tranquil. The grounds appeal to everyone, of every age. The owner of the cafe that you start at and the island is the one who picks you up on his boat and takes you to the island. He is the one that served us lunch right overlooking the ocean. His island has 2 bars on it, one that you can jump right into the water off of, with a good 12-15 foot drop. The food was amazing, our lunch consisted of filet minion, chicken, shrimp, lobster tail, rice, fried plantains, and coleslaw. There are 3 private beaches, VERY clean bathrooms, a small little zoo almost. They have a few monkeys you can go in and play with also. Also the owner is a diver, he found the island while diving the reef's, so there is snorkeling right off the key, and the owner will take you there once your on his grounds

All and all, I will say that i have been on 4 cruises, and this is one of the best experiences i have ever had. I would advise anyone to go here. I personally would book any cruise from here on out that has this port in it, with the only sole purpose being to get back to this place! Its a MUST DO!

If you want to get there, when you get off the boat walk to the top of the port, just when your about to walk out of the port there are some kiosk desks and rent a car stands...ask at the information booth for a taxi ride to Frenchy's 44.

my GF and I went on a cruise to Isla Roatan in April. I had looked around but had not found much that appealed to the both of us. We were traveling with my family, my dad, brother and his girl went to bannarama to snorkle. Sister and her girlfriends went to the beach right by the cruise ship. About 2 weeks before we sailed I happened to catch a review about a place called Frenchy's 44. Someone had said the food delicious and the service excellent, and you could even go to a private island and hang out on the beach.

They didn't even do this place justice by saying that! Frenchy's 44 is the same as the French Key. Its absolutley beautiful and tranquil. The grounds appeal to everyone, of every age. The owner of the cafe that you start at and the island is the one who picks you up on his boat and takes you to the island. He is the one that served us lunch right overlooking the ocean. His island has 2 bars on it, one that you can jump right into the water off of, with a good 12-15 foot drop. The food was amazing, our lunch consisted of filet minion, chicken, shrimp, lobster tail, rice, fried plantains, and coleslaw. There are 3 private beaches, VERY clean bathrooms, a small little zoo almost. They have a few monkeys you can go in and play with also. Also the owner is a diver, he found the island while diving the reef's, so there is snorkeling right off the key, and the owner will take you there once your on his grounds

All and all, I will say that i have been on 4 cruises, and this is one of the best experiences i have ever had. I would advise anyone to go here. I personally would book any cruise from here on out that has this port in it, with the only sole purpose being to get back to this place! Its a MUST DO!

If you want to get there, when you get off the boat walk to the top of the port, just when your about to walk out of the port there are some kiosk desks and rent a car stands...ask at the information booth for a taxi ride to Frenchy's 44.

Thanks so much for the response... SOLD !!!!! We are both very excited ,

the place does look beautiful... thanks again ....

Just looked through some of my cruise stuff, i have the contact info for Frenchys 44, if your interested in speaking to them before you get to roatan, not that you will need to.

who just booked this as an excursion? where did you book it through? The cafe and the island all belong to the same person. The cafe is on the land and the owner gives you the ride over for like 14$$ to his island. Or you can buy the package for 44$$$ it includes the ride, your lunch, snorkeling, and your first drink.... maybe a few other things. However the owner of this establishment is more interested in generating business through word of mouth. He said he would not open this place up to the cruise ships. He only wants word of mouth travelers to make their way over.

Have fun, i could post some pictures for you if you would like, but one of the best parts of this for us was the fact that when we got off the boat and headed over there, we had absolutely no idea what to expect. We really thought we were going to be getting some island lunch and few brews...

I just booked this directly with the owner. Here is the response.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your kind words...We are an independent family run facility.

Our mission is your enjoyment.

We open as soon as the cruise ship gets in.... so you will be fine arriving

as early as you wish.

Thank you for your interest in Little French Key Private Island

Resort and Frenchy's 44 Restaurant. Our driver, Dave, can pick you up

from the port and bring you to Frenchy's 44, our Roatan waterfront

Restaurant.

Then we will take you on a boat transfer aboard our comfortable

party barge with groovy music and Garufuna conch shell horn to the

Private Island from the Frenchy's 44 Restaurant Dock on the main land

Roatan (near Iguana Farm).

This also includes tour of private zoo, friendly, tame and talking Parrots

and Macaws and friendly and tame Monkeys and use of all sort of

comfortable Beach

chairs and chaise lounges. There are plenty of shade areas available as well.

We offer three options for the visiting cruise ship guests.

Option 1:

Our full package is for $65 which

would include a lunch of delicious marinated breast of chicken,

shrimp, lobster and beef fillet brochette with rice and bean, freshly

made Yucca Chips, fresh salsa and salad and a local beer or soda of

your choice as well as the use of all non motorized water activities,

Kayaks, snorkeling equipment, floating chairs....and the daily entrance

fee for the use and enjoyment of the Private Island, as well as the

transport from and to the cruise ship port.

Option 2:

For $44 you get all of the above less the transport from and to

cruise ship port. Can use your own rent a car or Taxi service, but it may

cost more.

Option 3:

$18 Just Entrance Fee to the Private Island

Kids 12 and under are at 50%.

You are also welcome to eat the Frenchy's 44 Restaurant and then go to the

Private Island as or Vice Versa as another option.

Motorized water activities Jet Ski tour @ $70 per half hour, Banana

Boat tour at $15 per person, guided Reef snorkel tour with boat and

guide @ $20 per person as well water ski, knee board and floater bed

is also available.

We also now offer Helicopter Island Tours which takes off from the private

Island and returns at $70 per person, three person minimum

and Canopy Zipline tours @ $55 per person available as well.

Price of a gallon of gas is over $6 here FYI.

Please advise if you want us to pick you up, we are looking forward to

serving you and our mission is your enjoyment. Welcome to paradise.

Kaveh Lahijani

Little French Key

Roatan, Bay Islands

sounds like they have upgraded a few of the activities offered on the island. Pricing is pretty much exactly the same. When we were there they were not yet offering the shuttle to and from the port. We did do the package, and snorkeling was included if we wanted to. We chose to just relax in the loungers all day. None of us were big on snorkeling. Have a blast when you go!!! hopefully you enjoy it as much as we did!!! Its money well spent, and you really don't have the cruise crowds. And like they said, it is a family run business. Apparently there are a lot of political troubles on the island and if you go to the west end, most bars and what not are owned by the government there now. One of the bartenders and Frenchys talked to me about it a little bit while we were there. I would much rather give my $$$ to a family business!

tired to bargain for a taxi while we were at the port, and were told that everyone was going to be the same amount to get there. I cant remember how much it was exactly for the cab, i think we paid somewhere around 16 or 18 per person round trip. I believe that the cabs are regulated in this port so there is no competition, which i happened to enjoy. The ride to Frenchys from the port is not very long, maybe 20 mins. We did have an older couple that spent the day there also that had rented a moped and gotten themselves there, however you spend so much time on the French key that i personally wouldn't spend the $$ on the moped.

I just booked this directly with the owner. Here is the response.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your kind words...We are an independent family run facility.

Our mission is your enjoyment.

We open as soon as the cruise ship gets in.... so you will be fine arriving

as early as you wish.

Thank you for your interest in Little French Key Private Island

Resort and Frenchy's 44 Restaurant. Our driver, Dave, can pick you up

from the port and bring you to Frenchy's 44, our Roatan waterfront

Restaurant.

Then we will take you on a boat transfer aboard our comfortable

party barge with groovy music and Garufuna conch shell horn to the

Private Island from the Frenchy's 44 Restaurant Dock on the main land

Roatan (near Iguana Farm).

This also includes tour of private zoo, friendly, tame and talking Parrots

and Macaws and friendly and tame Monkeys and use of all sort of

comfortable Beach

chairs and chaise lounges. There are plenty of shade areas available as well.

We offer three options for the visiting cruise ship guests.

Option 1:

Our full package is for $65 which

would include a lunch of delicious marinated breast of chicken,

shrimp, lobster and beef fillet brochette with rice and bean, freshly

made Yucca Chips, fresh salsa and salad and a local beer or soda of

your choice as well as the use of all non motorized water activities,

Kayaks, snorkeling equipment, floating chairs....and the daily entrance

fee for the use and enjoyment of the Private Island, as well as the

transport from and to the cruise ship port.

Option 2:

For $44 you get all of the above less the transport from and to

cruise ship port. Can use your own rent a car or Taxi service, but it may

cost more.

Option 3:

$18 Just Entrance Fee to the Private Island

Kids 12 and under are at 50%.

You are also welcome to eat the Frenchy's 44 Restaurant and then go to the

Private Island as or Vice Versa as another option.

Motorized water activities Jet Ski tour @ $70 per half hour, Banana

Boat tour at $15 per person, guided Reef snorkel tour with boat and

guide @ $20 per person as well water ski, knee board and floater bed

is also available.

We also now offer Helicopter Island Tours which takes off from the private

Island and returns at $70 per person, three person minimum

and Canopy Zipline tours @ $55 per person available as well.

Price of a gallon of gas is over $6 here FYI.

Please advise if you want us to pick you up, we are looking forward to

serving you and our mission is your enjoyment. Welcome to paradise.

Kaveh Lahijani

Little French Key

Roatan, Bay Islands

Thank you so much for all that info! I will contact them about the pick up, as this is new offer for them, ill be there 11/13,

:D

• 3 weeks later...

This place looked amazing to us so we contacted them and booked the option #1 for six of us. Last time on Roatan we did one of Victor Boddens which turned out to be out best and favorite port day of our cruise,but didnt have time to do any snorkeling. This will be on the list while at LFK. If anyone has been or plans on snorkling while there, appreciate any followups on how the snorkeling is there.

Edited by ondebyou

Just returned from a one week stay on Roatan.

1. You can definitely negotiate with the taxis but they will try to charge as much as they think they can get. We paid $25.00 total for the two of us and our luggage and dive gear from the airport to Infinity Bay. Not per person - but total. On our first visit (on a cruise ship) we paid $15.00 per person (for 3 of us) to have a taxi take us to West End Village, wait for us while we did a dive with West End Divers, take us to lunch, wait and then wait again while we did some shopping in West End. Then he took us to West Bay Beach (Bananarama access) and wait for us while we spent some time at the beach and then drive us back to the ship. So $45.00 for pretty much the whole day for 3 of us. So - don't just accept a price - negotiate.

2. After looking at the pics online - I have to say I think West Bay has better visibility for snorkeling. May be just my opinion..... but it sure looks that way.

3. After spending one week on this island, I truly don't think you can have a BAD time anywhere :D

Just returned from a one week stay on Roatan.

1. You can definitely negotiate with the taxis but they will try to charge as much as they think they can get. We paid $25.00 total for the two of us and our luggage and dive gear from the airport to Infinity Bay. Not per person - but total. On our first visit (on a cruise ship) we paid $15.00 per person (for 3 of us) to have a taxi take us to West End Village, wait for us while we did a dive with West End Divers, take us to lunch, wait and then wait again while we did some shopping in West End. Then he took us to West Bay Beach (Bananarama access) and wait for us while we spent some time at the beach and then drive us back to the ship. So $45.00 for pretty much the whole day for 3 of us. So - don't just accept a price - negotiate.

2. After looking at the pics online - I have to say I think West Bay has better visibility for snorkeling. May be just my opinion..... but it sure looks that way.

3. After spending one week on this island, I truly don't think you can have a BAD time anywhere :D

Thata what I am starting to think doesn't look that clear...

• 1 year later...

1 I,m bringing my own snorkel gear should pay the extra $10 to go to the reef.

2 I have a seafood allergy our package comes with lunch , I see they have more than shellfish , but is it buffet style or should I bring some extra food.

3 we get 2 drinks but is it okay to bring your own beer , and if so is there a store near port you can grab a couple cold one ahead of time. I hope someone is still reading this post thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously you haven't read my review on here :p

Click on the link in my signature line and you will get one heck of a LONG review with TONS of pictures of this place. It is simply paradise. We had the most amazing day there when we went last year. I would HIGHLY recommend it. It has to have probably the prettiest crystal blue water I have ever seen!!

They take you out to the reef. You can't really get to it without going with them. You can snorkel around the island and see some fish but to see the coral, spend the money! Go to YouTube and google Little French Key. I put a short video up of the coral.

Tell them about your allergy. They will give you just steak and chicken. They are very accommodating and nice.

They sell beer and cocktails there, I felt the prices were reasonable. I do not believe you can bring coolers.

• 1 year later...
1 I,m bringing my own snorkel gear should pay the extra $10 to go to the reef.

2 I have a seafood allergy our package comes with lunch , I see they have more than shellfish , but is it buffet style or should I bring some extra food.

3 we get 2 drinks but is it okay to bring your own beer , and if so is there a store near port you can grab a couple cold one ahead of time. I hope someone is still reading this post thanks

Please tell me how your trip to Little French Key was with regard to your seafood allergy. Were they able to accommodate you? And did you eat the food there without a reaction? I ask because my sister is newly diagnosed with a crustacean allergy(cannot have lobster, crab, shrimp, or crayfish) and has not eaten a meal in a port of call since her diagnosis (subsists on granola bars). But she would like to be able to eat with us at a restaurant ashore if possible. Please tell us your experiences ashore regarding your seafood allergy. I presume that you have completed your trip. Thanks.