Oasis Western 7/18-7/25...a few thoughts

I have enjoyed and benefitted from the information on Cruise Critic for a few years and wanted to try and return the favor so here goes....

My husband and I are Emerald on RC and have taken six cruises on the Oasis class ships.

EMBARKATION was a bit more crowded than usual but we did arrive later than normal. We drive down approximately five hours cruise morning. Highly recommend Park N Go. Very professional, courteous, near the port and best of all they charge about half of the port cost. Have used then every time we've sailed out of Ft Lauderdale.

CABIN was a hump balcony on deck seven. Husband and I both agree, this was a perfect location. Asked for a lounger on the larger balcony but was turned down as a safety concern...oh, well. Booked a regular balcony cabin for the next cruise. Would switch to a hump only if we could get a great deal again.

DINING was the late seating in the MDR. We were lucky to have two eager to please, smiling waiters and wonderful table mates. Food was very good and ate in the MDR every night. Soups were my favorite! HIDDEN GEM is Vintages and their al a carte tapas menu. Ate there one afternoon and husband and I both agree, BEST food on the ship! Since the MDR was very good, this is saying something!

PORTS were a been there done that BUT we booked the western leg because we LOVE Labadee. Beautiful water, a floating mat and a few Labadoozies and you have my paradise!!! Falmouth has a wonderful outdoor restaurant called the Spice Kitchen and Bar right at the port. Please walk past the establishment that you can go to in the states and you will discover great food, friendly locals and a true Jamaican atmosphere. Jerk chicken and a Red Stripe...that's all. Cozumel was strictly a little duty free shopping with a stop a Señor Frogs. Enjoyed a near empty ship after our brief trip ashore.

SHOWS were good. Oasis of Dreams in the Aquatheater is a must see, the Sand Artist in the Ice Show is another and the cast and sets of CATS were spectacular (comparable to the show I saw on Broadway). Also went to the Adult Comedy...always feels good to laugh.

ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT was the relocation of the nightly Cigar Bar. Previous trips on the Oasis class, the Cigar Bar was located on Deck 17 above the Solarium. Great relaxed, quiet atmosphere for an end of evening cigar/nightcap. This trip the Cigar Bar was located at the Pool Bar on the port side. My husband and I attempted to enjoy on two different evenings but both were unsuccessful. Drinking cognac out of a plastic cup (we're on the pool deck) and trying to have a conversation with an unending stream of younger, towel wrapped guests (we're talking after 10:30-11:00pm) getting soda refills and then pouring on another's head kind of ruined the ambiance. Yes, I did speak to Guest Services. Definitely didn't ruin our cruise by any stretch but do hope they consider moving the Cigar Bar back on future cruises.

DISEMBARKATION is always such a sad day for me but we did book the Harmony for 12/16 so it was a wee bit better! Cabin to curb was about 30 minutes. We walked off about 8:00ish.

We had a fantastic cruise and can't wait for our next.....any questions? I'll be happy to answer if I can!

Thanks for posting, I'm going on Oasis in October so I've been watching for recent reviews.

Shame about the cigar area. They keep making it worse. I wasn't even a big fan of it being up top because of the high winds we got up there a couple of the nights. Now it sounds like they've made it virtually unusable. I don't smoke cigars often, but occasionally my friend and I will take a few on a cruise. It's odd that the biggest ships in the world couldn't spare one small lounge for cigar smoking. They've got them on the smaller Freedom and Voyager classes.

Edited by DarthGrady

I have enjoyed and benefitted from the information on Cruise Critic for a few years and wanted to try and return the favor so here goes....

My husband and I are Emerald on RC and have taken six cruises on the Oasis class ships.

EMBARKATION was a bit more crowded than usual but we did arrive later than normal. We drive down approximately five hours cruise morning. Highly recommend Park N Go. Very professional, courteous, near the port and best of all they charge about half of the port cost. Have used then every time we've sailed out of Ft Lauderdale.

CABIN was a hump balcony on deck seven. Husband and I both agree, this was a perfect location. Asked for a lounger on the larger balcony but was turned down as a safety concern...oh, well. Booked a regular balcony cabin for the next cruise. Would switch to a hump only if we could get a great deal again.

DINING was the late seating in the MDR. We were lucky to have two eager to please, smiling waiters and wonderful table mates. Food was very good and ate in the MDR every night. Soups were my favorite! HIDDEN GEM is Vintages and their al a carte tapas menu. Ate there one afternoon and husband and I both agree, BEST food on the ship! Since the MDR was very good, this is saying something!

PORTS were a been there done that BUT we booked the western leg because we LOVE Labadee. Beautiful water, a floating mat and a few Labadoozies and you have my paradise!!! Falmouth has a wonderful outdoor restaurant called the Spice Kitchen and Bar right at the port. Please walk past the establishment that you can go to in the states and you will discover great food, friendly locals and a true Jamaican atmosphere. Jerk chicken and a Red Stripe...that's all. Cozumel was strictly a little duty free shopping with a stop a Señor Frogs. Enjoyed a near empty ship after our brief trip ashore.

SHOWS were good. Oasis of Dreams in the Aquatheater is a must see, the Sand Artist in the Ice Show is another and the cast and sets of CATS were spectacular (comparable to the show I saw on Broadway). Also went to the Adult Comedy...always feels good to laugh.

ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT was the relocation of the nightly Cigar Bar. Previous trips on the Oasis class, the Cigar Bar was located on Deck 17 above the Solarium. Great relaxed, quiet atmosphere for an end of evening cigar/nightcap. This trip the Cigar Bar was located at the Pool Bar on the port side. My husband and I attempted to enjoy on two different evenings but both were unsuccessful. Drinking cognac out of a plastic cup (we're on the pool deck) and trying to have a conversation with an unending stream of younger, towel wrapped guests (we're talking after 10:30-11:00pm) getting soda refills and then pouring on another's head kind of ruined the ambiance. Yes, I did speak to Guest Services. Definitely didn't ruin our cruise by any stretch but do hope they consider moving the Cigar Bar back on future cruises.

DISEMBARKATION is always such a sad day for me but we did book the Harmony for 12/16 so it was a wee bit better! Cabin to curb was about 30 minutes. We walked off about 8:00ish.

We had a fantastic cruise and can't wait for our next.....any questions? I'll be happy to answer if I can!

Thanks for your thoughts. they can get rid of the cigar lounge altogether!!!

Thanks for the review, we will be on Oasis but not until November 2016. I agree that Park and Go is convenient but please be aware that they do not have any wheelchair/handicap accessible vans. My husband cannot get out of his chair so the van driver and my son lifted him in his chair into the van. It was scary and potentially very dangerous.

Tweety63-

Thanks for the info. We are on the Oasis western itinerary departing this Saturday. Glad to read your comments about Vintages. It's one of our favorite spots on RCCL ships.

Can you confirm that the formal nights were days 2 and 5? Or were they different days?

Why was Solarium Bar closed every night?

FYI - your Cigar Bar was moved from Deck 17 because that is now the Suite Sundeck. Our guys are vacation cigar smokers so if they don't like the Pool bar for it, they will probably just wait and do it in port or in our Labadee cabana.

The Cigar Bar only opens after 7 every evening. That area has always been reserved for suite guests during the day but at night they opened the area up for the Cigar Bar on all five of our previous Oasis class cruises. This cruise the area was completely closed. No one in the bar area and we went asking, everything was shut down and dark. The Pool Bar was less than ideal especially if you have enjoyed the previous location...

We have always gone to Nellie's Beach. It's not a bad walk but the tram runs by also. Floating mat station is nearby. Not as rocky as the other side, Adrenline Beach. You will have some sea grass on the sea floor as you go deeper which is harmless but pretty blue water and comfy beach chairs. Don't forget to bring towels with you from the ship.