Gibraltar - Any Ideas?

Never been to Gibraltar before :) very excited, but unsure what to do, my family has mixed ages from 29 - 76 years old.

We enjoy taking tours which provide information about the port, as we have never been here before I was wondering is there a reliable tour you would recommend or locations to go to?

We will be in Port on 23rd October 2016 9am - 6pm on the Carnival Vista

Never been to Gibraltar before :) very excited, but unsure what to do, my family has mixed ages from 29 - 76 years old.

We enjoy taking tours which provide information about the port, as we have never been here before I was wondering is there a reliable tour you would recommend or locations to go to?

For your first visit to Gib I would suggest you do the minibus Rock Tour - lasts around 90 minutes and you will see all major tourist sites (Caves, Rock, Apes etc.) with info given by knowlegable local drivers/guides; no need to pre-book as there will be many buses parked outside the port terminal building and their fares are cheaper than identical tours booked on board. We were in Gib on Monday and seem to remember the current fare was £25.

At the end of your tour you can either return to your ship or be dropped off at Casemates Square which is the bottom of Main Street which is the principal shopping street (think M&S and BHS lol). From Casemates Square it is around a 15-20 minute walk back to the port but, for people who cannot walk so far, the port run a shuttle bus - we paid £4 or 6 euro return on Monday so would expect a single fare back from the Square to the ship would be half of this.

You could also pre-book a tour through http://gibraltar-rock-tours.com/ - scroll down the page to find trips specifically for cruise passengers. One of their very interesting longer tours includes the Seige Tunnels.

Another good trip for anyone interested in history is to the Seige Tunnels.

Edited by campolady

Campolady's suggestion of starting with a tour of the Upper Rock, then either being returned to the ship or getting dropped at Casemates Square in town, is absolutely the way to spend a first visit to Gib.

As long as you are off the ship ahead of or with the main herd, you can share a minibus (van) with others on the pier, the marshal organises that.

If you are late off the ship there may not be any vans left, or you may be delayed waiting for others to fill the van.

Price mentioned by Campolady is a small increase on last year's price, and payable in euros or GBP (I don't know about USD). Includes all admission fees, nothing to add bar an optional tip for the driver.

BTW, as well as St Michael's cave & the apes den, that tour includes the Great Siege Tunnel & galleries (1779 - 1782).

It doesn't include the WW2 tunnels. You pass the entrance as you drive back down to town, so if you want (& have the time) to take a tour of the WW2 tunnels, ask the driver to let you off there. After that WW2 tour you can the walk down to town past the Moorish Castle, or take a bus from near the Moorish Castle.

BTW Campolady, BHS is no more. Went bust, the liquidator unable to sell it as a going concern. I'm assuming the Gib branch is in the same boat. Has caused a lot of anger about the way it was managed & the huge dividends the fat cats were taking out of the business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36437445

JB :)

Yea take a tour, but make time for an afternoon tea at The Caleta Hotal. Do book in advance.

BTW Campolady, BHS is no more. Went bust, the liquidator unable to sell it as a going concern. I'm assuming the Gib branch is in the same boat. Has caused a lot of anger about the way it was managed & the huge dividends the fat cats were taking out of the business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36437445

BHS was still open when we docked in Gib last week John - we were surprised as had expected it to have closed with the rest of the company branches. Prices were high, and clothes far from stylish, and I didn't see many people buying so wouldn't be surprised if the shop does close before much longer.