Would like to get into the National Park areas. Choosing between hiking and rafting. Does anyone have experience with either (or something else to recommend)?? Any particular companies you've used? Zadar is not well publicized and I'm struggling. We are in port from 10-6. Thank you in advance!!!

Edited by BermudaBound2014

The two main parks are Krka and Plitvice(further away). Local tours are available but check Tripadvisor for local advice. We visited Krka on a land vacation and it's fabulous. Zadar itself is a charming town, part walled with a lovely promenade and some unusual attractions such as the Sea organ and the Tribute to the Sun. Nice churches and Roman ruins and museum.

• 1 month later...

We're in Zadar next month. Have a look at Zadar Guided Tours .... Doing a private tour to Krka NP & Zadar Walking Tour. Bit different to our cruise optional tour. With ZGT, you enter the park via boat from Skradin. Gave them cruise tImes, what we wanted to do; they came back with the info incl price. Very reasonable compared to that of the cruise (& not a busload of people)

Hi Fitzall,

We will be in Zadar on August 14th from 10-6. Are we on the same cruise by chance?

We're on the Viking Sea, in Zadar on the 21st from 9-5. Our private tour is from 9.3am to 4pm (ish). If you're looking at Zadar Guided Tours to do Krka NP, Leonina will give you an itinerary and you can alter it to suit yourself. I.e we cut out a little of the free time, cut lunch period a little which allows us to get back to Zadar for a quick walking tour with them. €90 p/p incl entrance fees, lunch pack. Very reasonable compared to Cruise tour. Need to pay 10% deposit. Also check if you disembark at Zadar by tender or pier as that could eat up time.

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up booking private tour to Palankaca national pArk through zadar shore excursions for a cost of 80 euro pp which includes. Sack lunch (for when we are hiking)- a special train away from roads, and time left for sea organ. I'm Company was so easy to deal with. Total pleasure- will report back after the trip :) in

I'm also interested for our October stop! Let us know how your tours went and things you loved during the tour? Should we DIY Tour?

Will you be in Kotor & Koper as well? If so, I can give you details of our private tours & report back if you wish to DIY.

We chose the non-cruise shore excursions to the smaller places (as above) so we could see a bit more of the country side without time constraints compared with the cruise offerings. Although Viking offered paid excursions to some of the areas, they were generally dearer and sometimes we'd prefer private tours ( 2 of us, driver & guide), rather than a busload. In these 3 places costs were between €85-€90 p/p with duration of tour between 6.5 hrs to 10 hrs (Kotor)