Tokyo - private guide recommendations

MalibuCA

My husband and I are spending six nights pre-cruise in Tokyo before embarking our Crystal cruise in April 2015. We are looking to book a private guide for city tour sightseeing and possibly one or two day trips outside of Tokyo. We are seeking a private guide, who can provide us with both the history and culture of the "must see" sights as well as a glimpse of the "daily life" of the locals in Tokyo. Excellent English skills are essential. We are interested in both tour companies that employ guides that fit our description as well as individual, independent guides. Any recommendations? Thanks so much for the help!

Shelley Bayer

I've read good things on this forum about Tokyo Free Guide although I've never used them myself.

We used the Tokyo Free Guide services while in Tokyo last May and found them to be very good. We had two different guides because we requested two half days tours and both guides were knowledgeable, very caring and spoke English very well.

Although we would highly recommend Tokyo Free Guide for sightseeing tours of Tokyo, I do not know if TFG does tours outside of Tokyo.

We used tours by locals ...Izumi in particular and she is fantastic....To the point that we are returning to Tokyo this winter(a year later) and have hired her again....she is knowledgeable.FLEXABLE.....AND And most pleasant.she has been giving tours for quite awhile and lives in Tokyo. We are touring again in Tokyo and the outskirts this winter with her. Her email is izumishoot@yahoo.co.jp

URL:http/Tokyo-walking talking.com

She is a national licensed English speaking tour guide.

Thank you so much! Does she have a driver if we want to take day trips from Tokyo, or does she do only walking tours. I'm sure she could accompany us on the subway, but wondering whether a private vehicle is an option.

Thanks,

Shelley

We were looking for a car and guide in Japan also. Because of the regulations for guides (must pass a qualifying exam) and limo/taxi drivers (must have a commercial driver's license) a guide may not use their own car for transportation. We have a guide with car in the Kyoto area that I am looking forward to using in March 2015 for those historic cities.

I know for a fact if you are looking for a licensed guide....Izumi is a national licensed and English speaking guide...as far as a car and driver I am pretty sure she could arrange that as she works for tours by locals...a world wide company that does this all the time..... She is wonderful to work with and a highly recommend her... We are hiring her for the second year in a row...

• 2 weeks later...
We were looking for a car and guide in Japan also. Because of the regulations for guides (must pass a qualifying exam) and limo/taxi drivers (must have a commercial driver's license) a guide may not use their own car for transportation. We have a guide with car in the Kyoto area that I am looking forward to using in March 2015 for those historic cities.

Hi. I wonder if there is any way for you to post the name of your guide (with car) for Kyoto. I am looking for the same. Thanks in advance.

I also posted on your Kyoto inquiry akirafd at gmail dot com is the address for Takakazu. I have not used him but his reviews are terrific. We have him booked for March 4-6, 2015. We will be on Azamara Quest Bali to Osaka.