Embarkation : Advice for first time cruisers

Judain

We have our first ever cruise next month, inside passage Vancouver to Alaska on the Volendam. Our itinerary suggests embarkation at midday. What is the general advice here, do we get here well before this time or well after to avoid the queues?? Any advice appreciated.

There are differing opinions/philosophies. Boarding for most ships will commence sometime between 11:30 and noon. Getting aboard as early as possible allows you to enjoy more time on the ship and have an early lunch aboard (which is included in your cruise fare). Most of the time (and there are plenty of exceptions) those who get aboard early will have their luggage delivered pretty early so one can get unpacked and settled long before the ship departs the port.

On the other hand, Vancouver is a fantastic city with much to see and enjoy. So you could also make the case to board after 2:00 (the queues will be much smaller) and enjoy a few extra hours in the city. There is no right or wrong, but just a matter of personal preference.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

My main embarkation advice is to get to the port city a day ahead of time, so you can do some sightseeing and not stress about missing the ship.

Print your luggage tags ahead of time for the ship (off HAL site), and affix them either at your hotel in Vancouver or at the terminal, before you surrender them to the ship's porters. Don't put them on before you fly! The hotel will give you a stapler or tape to affix them to your luggage. Surrender everything at the pier but the piece that has your meds, jewelry or electronics. Put that one in your room, put valuables in the safe, and then you are free to explore the ship.

As for embarkation time, as Hank said, it's personal preference. Since this is your first time cruising, I'd recommend getting to the ship no later than 1 PM. Then get some lunch, make reservations at the spa and specialty restaurants, and have a great time checking out the ship. Enjoy!

Edited by Nanner

We like to get to the cruise terminal before 11 AM and get through security and check-in.

As a rule HAL tries to have the cabins ready by 11:30 when boarding begins. This gives you a chance to drop off your carry-ons and then do whatever you want -- have lunch -- tour the ship --etc.

We too like to get to the ship about 11AM, go through security and check in. Since you are on the Volendam sailing on a Wednesday, you probably will not have to deal with any other ships at Canada Place. When there are one or two others, the security is a zoo since everyone goes through he same lines. Our experience in Vancouver is that HAL usually starts boarding about noon so the earlier you are checked in and waiting, the earlier you can be on the ship and start your cruising vacation.

Our first cruise departed from Vancouver . . . I am sure you will have an enjoyable time! I don’t remember if it was HAL or my travel agent, but they told me that if I got there for early boarding we would beat the crowds. (In 2007, I believe that was 10:30-11am? Double-check this, but as others have said, if you don’t care about sightseeing on this day, getting there early is better). We arrived and were some of the first on board. Be sure to give your luggage to the correct handlers for your ship! On our first cruise, I almost gave mine to another line:>)

The Lido will be packed as more passengers arrive, so if there aren’t many aboard when you embark, you may want to take the opportunity to eat. On subsequent cruises, you will be able to attend the Mariner's Embarkation Lunch, although some passengers report the MDR (main dining room) may now be open to all at lunchtime the first day. It can be much less crowded than the Lido buffet.

You are able to take carry ons with you, with temporary storage in the Lido should your cabin not be ready (these days, they are ready much earlier than they used to be). Even if the all clear for cabins has not been announced, yours may be ready upon arrival. It doesn't hurt to check, as long as the crew is not working in the room.

We like to take those first few hours to get acquainted with the ship, view MDR seating (if you're in As You Wish), make specialty dining reservations, etc. You will be given a map of the ship upon check in (I always make extra copies from the HAL cruise planner in advance, too). You will have a number of embarkation day activities available to you. The Spa usually has a giveaway in the afternoon (they will have the schedule of Fitness Seminars available). The Culinary Arts Center usually has an open house (the host may have the schedule of cooking shows during your cruise). You may be able to find out about upcoming special meals (there is usually an outdoor BBQ of some sort, like a Salmon Bake on the Terrace Grill, etc. Watch your daily On Location guide for listings).

I wish you all the best! Our Alaska cruise out of Vancouver was our first, and we've been cruising ever since.:)