Videos of The White Pass & Yukon Route railroad to Carcross, YT

Cornishpastyman1

Thank you for this post. Our group is going to Alaska next summer and we have been researching what excursions to do. We had narrowed it down and were leaning very much towards using Chilkoot for this exact trip. Now I am convinced!

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Thank you for this post. Our group is going to Alaska next summer and we have been researching what excursions to do. We had narrowed it down and were leaning very much towards using Chilkoot for this exact trip. Now I am convinced!

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes, you'll have a great day on that tour. There's plenty of complimentary bottled water on the train and a great brochure of the WP & YR railroad. The journey is narrated as you go, but annoyingly they did not put speakers on the external platforms so you can only listen to it inside the carriage :(

I'd heard it was best to get sit on the left going up, right coming down for the best valley views and while that is technically true, the difference is very marginal, and as you can move around or go outside any for photos anyway I wouldn't bother making any special effort to claim those seats.

Lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Point is very welcome, after all it will be the thick end of 5 hours since you last ate :D and it's good - decent BBQ chicken leg and thigh (veggie option available when you book), coleslaw, as many bread rolls as you can handle and doughnuts, all washed down with coffee. You'll spend about an hour/70 mins there so plenty of time to eat and have a good look at the wildlife museum and the dogs.

We spent about 40-45 mins at Carcross, and if you want wifi there's a decent signal at its Visitor Information Centre (no password needed)

All the best (and to renee and Keith too) Tony

The previous day at Juneau - Whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier/Nugget Falls - NB the last Glacier Express bus back to the dock area is at 6 pm, not 7 pm as I say in that post.

http:// http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085122

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

The WPYR train runs along the shore of Lake Bennett for better than an hour between Bennett and Carcross...the train is only way you can see this beautiful country. We did that (Bennett Scenic Adventure) on July 16 and loved every minute!

Nice videos - thanks for sharing.

Also note that people here are talking about two different tours - the first is the one described in the videos - train to Fraser bus to Carcross and return.

The second is the train all the way to Carcross via Bennett (with a lunch stop there) Bennett was where most all of the boats were built - overnight the town went from boom to bust - the ice thawed. Carcross is at the other end of the lake. Bennett is also where the Chilkoot and White Pass trails came together. I can honestly say I have hiked the end of the Chilkoot Trail :D