Best snorkeling in cozumel

woohoo1

Eagle Ray Divers does a nice snorkel tour, done that a few times. If you want to do it on your own go to Chankannabb I see a lot of the snorkel companies stopping right off of their beach. Once we found Cankannabb we no longer booked through the snorkel companies

Lonnie

Eagle Ray Divers does a nice snorkel tour, done that a few times. If you want to do it on your own go to Chankannabb I see a lot of the snorkel companies stopping right off of their beach. Once we found Cankannabb we no longer booked through the snorkel companies

Lonnie

I agree. We went there last month. Easy quick cab ride, nice beach with lots of facilities and pretty good snorkeling by just walking down the metal steps. No currents or waves to deal with.

There is excellent snorkeling at the Money Bar too, right off the shore. Just a $10 or so cab ride and no entrance fees. There is a rocky beach and very rocky shore, but once you get into the water there, the snorkeling is excellent! It is the Dzul-Ha reef. I agree too though that the snorkeling at Chankanaab is also excellent, but there is a $20 or $25 entrance fee into the park, but there are other things to do in Chankanaab to justify that cost.

Edited by valentinebaby1

I just did the Palancar Reef snorkel last week. It was very deep and you couldn't easily dive down and see anything. It is also a drift snorkel where the boat trails along behind the group as you drift for nearly an hour. They started us in about 30' of water and it quickly went to 40', 50', 60', 80' (and after 80' they said there was a drop-off! :eek: ) We had a couple of new snorkelers onboard and I really felt sorry for them that this was how they were introduced to snorkeling. I enjoyed the snorkel, but if I were going to go back I'd try a different snorkel/reef because it was just too deep.

Bev

I just did the Palancar Reef snorkel last week. It was very deep and you couldn't easily dive down and see anything. It is also a drift snorkel where the boat trails along behind the group as you drift for nearly an hour. They started us in about 30' of water and it quickly went to 40', 50', 60', 80' (and after 80' they said there was a drop-off! :eek: ) We had a couple of new snorkelers onboard and I really felt sorry for them that this was how they were introduced to snorkeling. I enjoyed the snorkel, but if I were going to go back I'd try a different snorkel/reef because it was just too deep.

Bev

I completely agree. We did Palancar and Columbia reefs last week and thought they were very deep for snorkeling. And the water was very choppy. Don't know that I would recommend it for a beginner.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Chankanaab twice and love the snorkeling there. It's easy and you do it on your own...plus being at a nice National Park helps too with other things to do. I have 2 reviews with tons of pictures in my signature line if you are interested in seeing what the snorkeling is like.

Another option would be to check out the Money Bar (which is a lot smaller and just a restaurant off the side of the road with small man made beach sitting above).

• 1 month later...

Mitsugirly, I couldn't find your reviews. I'd love to see the snorkeling photos. Have you tried swim with Dolphin in Chankanaab or Dolphinaries? I couldn't decide which one is better. They both have snorkeling too. At Chankanaab (Dolphin discovery), snorkel rental is $15 and pay for lunch vs. at Dophinaries, rental is free and lunch included. I would love to see if anyone tried both and tell me which one is better.

Mitsugirly, I couldn't find your reviews. I'd love to see the snorkeling photos. Have you tried swim with Dolphin in Chankanaab or Dolphinaries? I couldn't decide which one is better. They both have snorkeling too. At Chankanaab (Dolphin discovery), snorkel rental is $15 and pay for lunch vs. at Dophinaries, rental is free and lunch included. I would love to see if anyone tried both and tell me which one is better.

The reviews are all the links in her signature.

Money bar, Corona Beach Club, and Tikila bar (just north of the International pier) are all good alternatives to Chankanaab with decent snorkeling and easy water entry that are free to snorkel, just buy a couple of beers and some nachos. Chakanaab can be a bit pricy, especially if you don't intend to stay very long.

All my reviews are listed in my large signature line. :D I have 2 reviews of Chankanaab and 1 of the dolphin swim. <---so yes, I have done the dolphins at Chankanaab and we really loved it and will do it again some day when my little one is older.

All my reviews are listed in my large signature line. :D I have 2 reviews of Chankanaab and 1 of the dolphin swim. <---so yes, I have done the dolphins at Chankanaab and we really loved it and will do it again some day when my little one is older.

I thought cameras weren't allowed at the dolphin swim? How did you manage to get pictures? I must know your secret! LOL. We were considering doing this excursion but the cameras not allowed discouraged me.

I thought cameras weren't allowed at the dolphin swim? How did you manage to get pictures? I must know your secret! LOL. We were considering doing this excursion but the cameras not allowed discouraged me.

You use to be allowed to use your own cameras.