Underwater Video/Camera Recommendations

I've had a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 for a while now.

It takes pretty good pictures. We use it at home around & in our pool as well as on vacations and cruises.

Prices are all over the place for this model if you look on Amazon.

There is a newer model - DMC-TS30 - seems very similar and can be had for as little as $99.00.

Mike

I have a LUMIX DMC TS-6. Waterproof down to 43 feet, shock-proof, 16 mega pixel, take great photos on or out of water. Heard good things about Olympus and Nikon cameras too.

Edited by Raxter54

I hear the newer generations of Fuji XP series are quite the bang for the buck on this area. Not that expensive but quite good with underwater pictures. I personally use a Nikon AW110 which serves its purpose as my go-to underwater camera right not while snorkeling. You can see some pictures on my Liberty review for August 2015 in the signature below (shameless plug...lol:D). The newer Nikon AW series are also very good but a but more expensive than the Fujis. But if you shop around (especially on the E-auction website) you might find some around your price point.

Be aware that with basically any waterproof point and shoot camera, the clarity of the pictures you take depend on multiple factors including the clarity of the water, the time of day, depth and even the angle of the sun (or light source). Any way, with camera technology these days, as long as you stick to the well know brands, you will likely get good pictures with any of them. Good luck and have fun!

I have an Olympus Tough camera. I don't know the model because it's at home, but it's blue and takes beautiful pictures and videos. HD and all. I've had it probably about 3-4 years.

We bought this one as well (model TG-860) and it works great. paid about $200

We bought this one as well (model TG-860) and it works great. paid about $200

I second this one, just purchased this prior to a December cruise. It took great underwater pictures and video in Grand Cayman. Totally satisfied with it and it has a large flip LCD screen to takes easy selfies. Sometimes it's hard to get pictures of my husband and I together and this made it so much easier. It was nice not having to worry about getting the camera wet or submerging it in the ocean or pool water. The battery power also was very surprisingly good, although I ordered a spare for back-up. I got this also on sale for $199, but they just brought out the next one in the series I think it's the TG-870, so prices for the TG-860 might start to drop, there really isn't much of a difference in the newer version. But good luck in your shopping, haven't even used my Sony high dollar camera since purchasing this one, lol.

I have a Nikon Coolpix aw110 (??) It's a little over your budget, but I'd rather spend a little more on a camera that lasts.

I also have an older model Olympus Tough that I was quite happy with for many years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I have a Aw110 I want to prob sell. It is a good camera but I also have a cannon which I like. The one thing I didn't like about the Nikon was the large screen, tends to reflect the sun while snorkeling making it hard to see what is in the picture. Having said that it takes good pictures and works great out of the water as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Once again, I would like to stress how much we like our LUMIX.

Here is a picture of the camera...

ImageUploadedByForums1452359359.149208.jpg.c5c03826bef2eea553a4bb6f101629a9.jpg

I'm getting ready to order the newer model for my daughters birthday so she can have it for our upcoming vacations.

Mike

I have been looking at the gopro as well, do you know if the picture quality is good?

It's pretty good! It's not professional video quality, but for consumer use to document your vacation stuff, it's pretty good. There's a good video here that shows actual GoPro Hero footage in various environments:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] Edited by knagl