Windows 10 Q&A

pierces

Thanks, Dave, I'll try again with the memory card.

Regarding the password...no one uses the computer except for me and my husband so I wasn't concerned with having it locked. Is there a possibility it may be accessed remotely?

The main problem with no login password is . If the laptop is stolen someone has access to all the your files including passwords for your web browsing.

They can do identity thief very quickly before you even know it. Also someone can use your computer (net ) id to hack or broadcast computer virus etc.

The intruder can setup your computer for remote access and then leave it where you left it . Then collect the keys you type and then sell your financial info to third parties for identity thief.

Unlocked computer is a big problem in the world of cyber security .

Edited by Kamloops50

Kamloops50,

Evidently I didn't think it through about not having a password being a security issue (it's a desktop). It's an annoyance but I'll get used to it.

Dave, I tapped on auto play and selected Photos and keep getting the message "there is nothing new to import from this device". I did format my card and took some new pictures before doing this. I'll keep trying...

ok, I see them in the Photo app, but when I go to my computer..my pictures...there is no album created there. Before there would automatically be an album under "my pictures" with the date on it. I hope I'm explaining this right, a little confused right now. :confused:

ok, I see them in the Photo app, but when I go to my computer..my pictures...there is no album created there. Before there would automatically be an album under "my pictures" with the date on it. I hope I'm explaining this right, a little confused right now. :confused:

DO you have your camera set to continue the numbering sequence from where it left off each time or do you let it reset to DSC0000.jpg (or some other letters plus the sequence) each time? I fyo are letting it reset the sequence and already have a xxx0001 in your photos, it will think there aren't any new images. You can also (probably) set your camera to save to a new folder based on the date each day:

DCIM

ETC.

Dave

I have my camera set for contnuius numbering even after download and reformation. The number has the date as part of the number.

Did you hear that bell go off in my head?

The Photos app uses the user Pictures directory to store images by default: C:\users\yourloginname\Pictures\datepattern

I just loaded some files from my card and they went to: F:\Users\Dave\Pictures\2015-09 (my pictures directory is on my F drive)

Dave

Well I've been trying different things and not having much luck. Unless I can change the default settings to the previous way, I'll have to change my mindset here and upload a new way. Windows 7 was very streamlined and a couple clicks and 10 feels like a process. I may be doing it the hard way, not tech savvy as I would like to be. Now I upload with PSE7, and it automatically puts a folder in "my pictures". So at least it's there.

(my camera is set in sequence where it continues the numbering)

Thanks for your help, appreciate any input.

Well I've been trying different things and not having much luck. Unless I can change the default settings to the previous way, I'll have to change my mindset here and upload a new way. Windows 7 was very streamlined and a couple clicks and 10 feels like a process. I may be doing it the hard way, not tech savvy as I would like to be. Now I upload with PSE7, and it automatically puts a folder in "my pictures". So at least it's there.

(my camera is set in sequence where it continues the numbering)

Thanks for your help, appreciate any input.

The Windows 10 Photos app is evolving and it doesn't have an easy way to set the default upload directory. It assumes a new install where the new Photos location exists without the old "My Pictures" directory which will still be there if you upgraded. It is supposed to be an app for light users that don't use other, more fully-featured apps to manage their photos. I have registered a suggestion about the default directory setting on the windows insiders forum and have found them to be pretty responsive to suggestions.

Meanwhile, I will poke around and see if there is a way to change the default without a degree in computer science. :)

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your time and help with this. No, definitely no computer science degree here, food science maybe...but that's another forum. But at least I have a way that does work, although a little cumbersome, it works; and like you said, things evolve and the process may change. thanks.

Sue

Dave,

Thanks for your time and help with this. No, definitely no computer science degree here, food science maybe...but that's another forum. But at least I have a way that does work, although a little cumbersome, it works; and like you said, things evolve and the process may change. thanks.

Sue

You might try Google's Picasa app. It can be set to open automatically for import in response to inserting the card and you can choose your Elements as the default editor. It has built-in tools for exposure, cropping, straightening and other light adjustments. I used it for years before moving to Lightroom and found it to be a great organizer that was easy to use and had great features.

http://picasa.google.com/

It's free. Give it a try.

Dave

It's worth a shot, I've used Picasa before and found it very user friendly.

I've sent Microsoft my feedback and there seems to be quite a few people unhappy with the Photo App. Time will tell...in the meantime, I'll learn something new :)

thanks.

There is hope for Photos. The first beta version in the Windows 10 preview was horrible. It has improved a lot. They really seem to be listening this time around! So strange to a 20+ year Windows user! :)

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay

It took me a few months to decide to change over one computer to Windows 10.

First it took the computer (which had windows 8.1 on it) 3 1/2 hours to make the change.

It is slow. Don't have my normal tool bars -- only partial too bar.

There is no "E" on the task bar to log right into IE 10 and go to my favorites.

I hate it!! JMO

Is it possible for me to take the tower to my Geek Squad and have them change that computer back to IE 8.1?

You can, but within the next 6 - 8 months MS is going to force you to change to Windows 10. I really can't figure out the issues you have talked about today, it sounds like it hasn't completed the install.

I worked through a few more problems.

But still can't copy and paste items.

Don't have a bar at the top of the page that has these items:

File, Edit, Favorites, Tools, Help.

in any Windows program, you can copy and paste using keyboard shortcuts regardless of whether the application has options for those actions.

Press the Ctrl key and "C" simultaneously to copy any highlighted text or picture then switch to the destination and press Ctrl and "V" to paste.

I have been using Edge (new Internet Explorer) and find it to be functionally pretty much the same as the old version.

You can import your favorites from Chrome or use your IE favorites.

Go to the menu (... symbol at the top right)

Choose "Settings"

Choose "Favorites Settings"

Set the "Show the favorites bar" to On

There are also options there for importing.

You can always go download Chrome here:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

It you want the familiar E on the taskbar, press the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt at the bottom left of your keyboard) > type "edge" to find the program > right-click on the Edge menu icon at the top of the list and click "pin to taskbar". This can be done with any often used program.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thanks Dave

Before I read all your wonderful information, I sat down at that computer again and started playing around with everything.

I found and got the "E" on my task bar. Everything popped up the way I am used to seeing it.

Good thing my hair is already grey -- or would have been by now.

I am much happier. :)