Windows 10 Q&A

pierces

Have you upgraded and are a bit lost?

Maybe haven't pulled the trigger yet out of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt?

Didn't know it was free?

Post your questions here and I'm sure we'll get the usual great input from the more tech-savvy members.

Personally, I have had zero issues with three upgrades here at home, including the one from the pre-release version to the final version Even with the smoothest rollout, sh...stuff happens and sometimes computers are like a 2-year-old and will say they hurt but can't or won't give you any details to work with.

Happy upgrading!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Tried yesterday to update my laptop to Windows 10, kept saying try again later. So this morning at 5 o'clock i finally received my windows 10, only took 2 hours to complete. Could not add my roadrunner email, will research and figure it out. Glad I switched to the Mac when they got rid of windows XP, so much faster and easier to navigate and work with apps. Even though still enjoy have windows XP programs to use on the Mac, best of both worlds, Quicken works best on XP. LOL. Look how times they changed since windows XP and for me still have a ways to go.

Also Dave did you ever get a backup camera for your A6000, upcoming cruise? Wish Sony had reacted quicker with the upgrade camera. I decided to buy (good deal) the Sony A5100 to share lens with my A6000.

Mac Pro forever

Tom :cool:

Edited by c230k

Also Dave did you ever get a backup camera for your A6000, upcoming cruise? Wish Sony had reacted quicker with the upgrade camera. I decided to buy (good deal) the Sony A5100 to share lens with my A6000.

Mac Pro forever

Tom :cool:

No update yet. I am holding out until mid-September to see if the new model shows up. If not, I'll just grab another A6000 body and maybe resell it when the other shoe drops. The A6000 may qualify as the best "worst-case" scenario ever!

Dave

Edited by pierces

So far so good. I put it on my main desktop and my "travel" laptop last weekend. No issues with upload or anything. As of now all of my programs are playing nice with it.

I am finding that when I log in to any website where I use a password (bank, etc.) a few of them have asked for one of my security questions.

This weekend after I updated to Windows 10, when using Lightroom, it kept locking up each time I exported a photo.

After some Google-ing, I found I had to go into Lightroom > Book > Preferences > Performance , then uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" and restart Lightroom.

Don't know exactly what the deal was, but it worked, and it appears to be an issue with some folks, luckily the fix is out there for the finding already.

Otherwise, I like it pretty well. Using the Edge browser, mostly good but some annoyances (probably like me I guess :D)

Edit: It did wipe the product key from my Blue Iris surveillance software, so I had to recover that to get it up and running again.

Edited by shootr

Depending on your video card, the ability of Lightroom and Photoshop to use the GPU for rendering may or may not be supported in the initial rollout driver. I had a similar issue at first but the Nvidia driver update for my GTZ 960 must have fixed it since it is now gone. (I just wrote off the minor delay to a big, fat library database :) )

Check the manufacturer's site for updated graphics drivers an see if it fixes the issue.

So far so good. I put it on my main desktop and my "travel" laptop last weekend. No issues with upload or anything. As of now all of my programs are playing nice with it.

I am finding that when I log in to any website where I use a password (bank, etc.) a few of them have asked for one of my security questions.

I also had to do this with Edge. There is no record of you logging in from what amounts to a "new" device. The security question or two-step verification will validate the new connection.

Dave

Depending on your video card, the ability of Lightroom and Photoshop to use the GPU for rendering may or may not be supported in the initial rollout driver. I had a similar issue at first but the Nvidia driver update for my GTZ 960 must have fixed it since it is now gone. (I just wrote off the minor delay to a big, fat library database :) )

Check the manufacturer's site for updated graphics drivers an see if it fixes the issue.

There was a driver update for my laptop video card/chip but it still wasn't playing nice, so a-googling I went and found the above bandaid. Thing is I don't honestly know what it's using now - the performance is the same, if not a little better as it is configured now. No matter to me, as long as it works.

Been using the LR/PS 30 day trial up until now, but I'm sold - it'll be very much worth the $10/mo. over Elements.

I uploaded Win 10 to six computers with the only glitch being the driver for my NVIDIA GTX 960 video card. The PC with the GTX 960 was updated at midnight on Win 10 roll-out day. NVIDIA had an updated driver by noon the next day for my card.

Computers performance seems to have taken a step up in speed. Cortana is pretty cool.

Lightroom seems to be quicker when using the video card processor. I have read that the combo of Photoshop and Win 10 can only use video cards with the R9 standard (AMD cards), or better, and NVIDIA GTX 750 or better.

Have you upgraded and are a bit lost?

Maybe haven't pulled the trigger yet out of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt?

Didn't know it was free?

Post your questions here and I'm sure we'll get the usual great input from the more tech-savvy members.

Personally, I have ha[sIZE="7"][/size]d zero issues with three upgrades here at home, including the one from the pre-release version to the final version Even with the smoothest rollout, sh...stuff happens and sometimes computers are like a 2-year-old and will say they hurt but can't or won't give you any details to work with.

Happy upgrading!

Dave

photo section

photo section

Believe it or not computers are an integral part of photography now

Yup.

We also discuss digital video here, despite the forum title. :)

Without a computer of some sort, digital photography is a pretty limiting medium. I'm sure there are a growing number of people who capture images exclusively on their phone and only view and post them there but that isn't the demographic that frequents this forum.

This thread for Windows 10 was in response to a lot of emails with success stories and questions about (surprisingly few) little problems that friends and co-workers have had while upgrading. Add an adoption rate that has already established a third place position behind Win 7 and 8, favorable online reviews and the price (free!) and it makes sense to assume that a lot of the Windows users here will be upgrading. Posting tips and solutions to the inevitable issues that arise seemed like a good idea, especially in a friendly, responsive place like we have here.

Dave

Yup.

We also discuss digital video here, despite the forum title. :)

Without a computer of some sort, digital photography is a pretty limiting medium. I'm sure there are a growing number of people who capture images exclusively on their phone and only view and post them there but that isn't the demographic that frequents this forum.

This thread for Windows 10 was in response to a lot of emails with success stories and questions about (surprisingly few) little problems that friends and co-workers have had while upgrading. Add an adoption rate that has already established a third place position behind Win 7 and 8, favorable online reviews and the price (free!) and it makes sense to assume that a lot of the Windows users here will be upgrading. Posting tips and solutions to the inevitable issues that arise seemed like a good idea, especially in a friendly, responsive place like we have here.

Dave

Believe it or not computers are an integral part of photography now

There's only one name on my "IGNORE" list on this forum - and I think you now see why :D

Here's a tip for all of you that decided to jump to Office 365 or one of the other new "Ribbon Bar" versions of Microsoft's office suite along with your shiny new operating system.

WHERE THE HELL IS PRINT? :)

There's no "Print" icon in any of the standard ribbons and other than customizing a ribbon to add it, you have to dig into FILE > PRINT from the menu bar. One of the reasons is that MS put print options on the Quick Access Toolbar up in the top left corner.

To add the "Print Preview and Print" and "Quick Print" icons to the QA bar, click the little down-arrow (red arrow below) to open the customization menu.

p1408728453.jpg

Click on them to add the check mark to the menu and the icon to the bar. You can only add or remove one at a time so you'll have to repeat the process for the second one.

p1408728471.jpg

"Print Preview and Print" (left circle) opens the print dialog and allows you to change settings or printers if needed while "Quick Print" (right circle) just sends the document to the current default printer as is.

This option is available in all the Office apps but needs to be set in each one as needed.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Here's a tip for all of you that decided to jump to Office 365 or one of the other new "Ribbon Bar" versions of Microsoft's office suite along with your shiny new operating system.

WHERE THE HELL IS PRINT? :)

There's no "Print" icon in any of the standard ribbons and other than customizing a ribbon to add it, you have to dig into FILE > PRINT from the menu bar. One of the reasons is that MS put print options on the Quick Access Toolbar up in the top left corner.

To add the "Print Preview and Print" and "Quick Print" icons to the QA bar, click the little down-arrow (red arrow below) to open the customization menu.

p1408728453.jpg

Click on them to add the check mark to the menu and the icon to the bar. You can only add or remove one at a time so you'll have to repeat the process for the second one.

p1408728471.jpg

"Print Preview and Print" (left circle) opens the print dialog and allows you to change settings or printers if needed while "Quick Print" (right circle) just sends the document to the current default printer as is.

This option is available in all the Office apps but needs to be set in each one as needed.

Dave

First there is nothing new about the ribbon. It has been around for almost 10 years.

The correct way to print is to click the file tab to open backstage view and then click print. Edit the QAT is a waste of time. If you are going to do that edit the ribbon and add another tab that contains printing details. It works the same in Office 365 or any of the versions of Office since Office 2007. (BTW expect the release of Office 2016 before the end of the year.)

First there is nothing new about the ribbon. It has been around for almost 10 years.

The correct way to print is to click the file tab to open backstage view and then click print. Edit the QAT is a waste of time. If you are going to do that edit the ribbon and add another tab that contains printing details. It works the same in Office 365 or any of the versions of Office since Office 2007. (BTW expect the release of Office 2016 before the end of the year.)

I guess you missed the "FILE > PRINT from the menu bar." part...

A significant number of home users are still on office 2003 (the last easily pirated version) and with the introduction of the new subscription services, many have only recently moved to the newer versions with the ribbon bar. This tip was not meant for grizzled, seasoned, vastly knowledgeable users such as yourself but towards folks who may not use Word every day and would like to add a visual cue to the screen that doesn't change when you switch ribbons.

Perhaps you could add illustrated instructions on adding a new section to the ribbon bar.

Or we can all just use Ctrl+P... :)

Dave

but should I upgrade my system to get better photos? its a Pc 6200 wgs

No. The operating system will have no effect on the quality of your photos. Monitor calibration is probably the most impactful change you can make to a PC to help get the most out of your photos.

Dave

The big thing I've noticed is many things/program that I get local in Win7 I have to logon and load from the cloud and pay to have the ads removed. It's free because they want your CC# to start charging you for apps and extra cloud storage. Win7pro works perfect for all my photo/photoshop CS6 needs. I'm sure I will be forced at some point to move on. I've also been a user of OpenOffice for years now and prefer it to MSOffice.

My business uses a Linux based software which is free. I really use MSWin7 for photo processing and a game or two.

If you are using 4GB or less of memory in your computer consider the 32bit version. It's more compatible with older programs. All Nikon software I've tested seem to run fine with the 32bit version of Win10, I have some small issues with the 64bit version with some older programs.

I passed on the upgrade for now.

framer