Waterproof Camera suggestions (under $200)

fletch1027

Hello, we will be cruising next month and last cruised 2 years ago. On my last 2 cruises I used (and still have) a Nikon Coolpix S31 that worked very well for the price. The only drawback seemed to be the amount of light needed to get good underwater pics (10-12 feet down of fish and stuff while snorkeling).

I now see that there have been 2 new generations come out (S32 & S33), and the only differences I see are:

* 13 megapixel on S33 (vs. 10 on S31)

* CMOS sensor (vs. CCD on S31)

Looking for an opinion if the differences are enough to justify either buying an S33 for $100 or looking at another option as opposed to keeping what I've got now.

Below are some samples from last cruise using the S31:

12916741033_b4d0838aac.jpg

8589051839_40d8c08283.jpg

If yours still works perfect use it. Very little difference between old and new IMHO in final 4 x 6 photos.

The newer ones might have a better focus system that what you have.

I got the wife a small Fuji UW camera and she loved it, $150 16mp.

framer

If yours still works perfect use it. Very little difference between old and new IMHO in final 4 x 6 photos.

The newer ones might have a better focus system that what you have.

I got the wife a small Fuji UW camera and she loved it, $150 16mp.

framer

Thanks, I know there isn't a huge noticeable difference between the 10 & 16 megapixel for things like I would be shooting.

My big question (not knowing a lot of deep down camera info) is would there be a large noticeable difference between a 2013 era CCD sensor vs. a 2015 era CMOS sensor - especially in the area of better light intake for underwater photos (1-10 feet down).

Do you have any samples you can post from your Fuji?

Thanks!

Hi! I also am looking for a waterproof camera, but not planning on deliberately plunging it under the sea! I'll be on small boats where it will get splashed. Should I just get proper waterproof rather than splashproof?

In that case, you may want to look at an inexpensive waterproof cover for your camera or waterproof pouch for a smartphone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch,

My underwaters using an older version of the Olympus Tough camera look like yours, very blue and not showing the true colors. I thought it was because I was new at it and didnt change to an underwater setting.

Have you seen Mitsugirly's underwater photos? They are stunning. She uses a newer version of the Tough but it is over your $200 price point.

D

Fletch,

My underwaters using an older version of the Olympus Tough camera look like yours, very blue and not showing the true colors. I thought it was because I was new at it and didnt change to an underwater setting.

Have you seen Mitsugirly's underwater photos? They are stunning. She uses a newer version of the Tough but it is over your $200 price point.

D

I found some and they do look great!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959571&page=17

Fletch,

D

Now that I have started digging up photo samples, I may have to "bump up" my price point a little! :D

Currently on Amazon, both the Olympus Tough 860 ($249) and the Nikon Coolpix AW130 ($279) seem very similar. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I have another cruise coming up in mid May so will give my old Tough one more shot, and be mindful of the settings, and see how it does. If not much improvement, I will have a different one in the future. A friend it borrowing my camera in April for their cruise so will see if he gets better results and maybe STILL get a new one for this years trip.

I have fried 2 Olympus underwater cameras, one time was my fault, as the door came open. After that, I put a small piece of duct tape over the door latch and lock. I had read that this was a problem, especially since many of us put it into our suit top or pocket until we are set. I have no idea what happened the 2nd time, as the door was still shut and locked, but alas, the warranty had expired.

Today, looking at Target, they had a Panasonic Lumix TS25 for $109 and I bought the extended warranty for 2 yrs for $18. The reviews on this camera on Amazon are pretty good. I see the camera runs much higher on Amazon though. Just a thought to check out clearance items at the box stores.

The Olympus tough cameras is good and has the settings for underwater an d numerous other setting but you can also salvage and make the older camera underwater pics show nice and clearer with using a couple different techniques editing with photoshop.

The Ump

John

It's ironic that the original title to this thread I started had "under $200" in it, because as my research expanded, so did my budget! :D

I ended up pulling the trigger yesterday on the Olympus TG-4 (currently $348 on Amazon). If anyone is interested, here are the reasons why:

- center mounted lens (I'll be less likely to get a thumb in a shot) :)

- the TG series has the option (for $19) to get a conversion adapter ring which adds to benefits (lens cap and filters) - bought a set of 3 filters (UV, CPL, ND4) for $14 mainly to get the polarizer which should help for sunny beach pics

- option to play with raw file format (Photos on my MacBook supports raw format from the TG-4)

- pulls in more light than others in same range which will help with underwater shooting

Can't wait to get it and have some time to play with it before our cruise in 2 weeks! :)

Great choice! Will be curious to see how you like it and how the photos come out. Be sure to come back after your trip and post some up! With RAW it gives you the ability to mess with them in post as well. Might be interested after I hear what you have to say!

Theres a few big sellers on Ebay with 10s of thousands of customer reviews with 98% or higher positive reviews. They sell the Olympus TG-4 for $305 brand new.

A few weeks ago the Olympus TG-870 was just released and its pretty much a newer replacement of the TG-860 with added time-lapse recording and GPS that the TG-860 does not have but still no RAW recording on the TG-870 though.

and the new TG-870 is going for $280ish on amazon.

I have the TG-4 because of the features over the TG-860.

TG-4 has manual exposure control, aperture priority, timelapse recording, GPS, faster lens and lower aperture. all big points with me as my main camera is a Nikon D5200 DSLR so having manual controls is important with me as well as RAW recording.

the TG series has the option (for $19) to get a conversion adapter ring which adds to benefits (lens cap and filters) - bought a set of 3 filters (UV, CPL, ND4) for $14 mainly to get the polarizer which should help for sunny beach pics

Now i'm looking for this conversion adapter ring kit and filter. Amazon? where?

Edit: nevermind Found it

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-CLA-T01-Conversion-Lens-Adapter/dp/B0080DIYZW/ref=pd_sim_421_33?ie=UTF8&dpID=31al1Y1eMdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=14K1ME3CZM0ZQZF6BPFD

Thanks for telling me about it.

Edited by Jeepenfun