Favorite snorkel spot in Cozumel

crAZytwinmomma

Any recommendations? We are open to DIY or an excursion (as long as excursion is not a large group)... we have our own snorkel masks but are still beginners to snorkeling.

I do speak decent Spanish so I could navigate a diy adventure if needed.

It will be our first time to Cozumel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From scanning the boards it seems like Money Bar and Chakanaab are options for DIY?

Is that right?

Can we try those sites in the same day ourselves or maybe start as diy at one of those sites and go on boat from there if the off shore snorkel is a bust??

Just looking for an enjoyable day...

We have been to Cozumel more times than I can remember - we cruise a lot. Our "go to" place there is Chakanaab. Great snorkeling and facilities. Be sure to go to their website and print out a discount coupon before you go. It's not much of a discount but every bit helps, right. One MUST is to bring water shoes. The beach is quite rocky and getting in and out of the water will mean climbing up and down some large rocks made up like stairs. However once you put your snorkel gear on and get your face in the water you will be amazed by the variety and size of the fish and sea life you will see. We will be there again in 2 weeks or so and that's where we will be headed.

Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgot to mention... We do DIY... just take a taxi from the port. That way we come and go when we want and likely less expensive than a tour and certainly don't have to deal with any crowds or waiting on other people.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to Cozumel more times than I can remember - we cruise a lot. Our "go to" place there is Chakanaab. Great snorkeling and facilities. Be sure to go to their website and print out a discount coupon before you go. It's not much of a discount but every bit helps, right. One MUST is to bring water shoes. The beach is quite rocky and getting in and out of the water will mean climbing up and down some large rocks made up like stairs. However once you put your snorkel gear on and get your face in the water you will be amazed by the variety and size of the fish and sea life you will see. We will be there again in 2 weeks or so and that's where we will be headed.

Enjoy!!

Hey a couple of questions: I can not find prices for ind. things to do at the park except thru 3rd party excursions. Do you have list of there prices ex. swim with manatees, buffet, spa thing? Also I have read about not taking own pics. if doing say manatee swim but can others watching you take some or can other people not see you while you are doing it. Also on one site it talks about being on a platform but then it talks about swimming with them, any experience with this. Do you actually swim with them? Also is there a dive shop in park and how much to dive?Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Bluegirl, would the beach, or snorkeling, be your biggest interest.

While it isn't a true natural beach, Chankanaab does have an extensive sandy beach area all along. But, from there, you enter the water via rocks, steps, etc... Not a beach where one can wade in. I believe Sky Reef also has a small sandy area... But with limited shade there. You can look at photos and videos of these places!

Since you said that you love the beach, there are several other non-snorkeling beach-club type places. Some are 'fun' beach days with pools, inflatable water play structures, etc... (Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Playa Mia....) or a more exclusive 'quiet' beach club like Nachi Cocom.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems like the area might be extra busy post hurricane since a few ships changed itineraries... we had thought Chakanaab but dislike snorkeling when it is crowded. We opted to try the pearl farm excursion.

Please report back if you do the Pearl Farm. Have often thought about doing this although the price is much higher than it was originally. I haven't wanted to risk it while on a cruise ship day but would like to try on a land vacation. Is this offered through your ship? Let me know how it goes, particularly with timing.

which pier will you be docking at?

I have Snorkeled as El Cid all inclusive resort and at Sand Dollar Snorkel Center thru carnival on our first trip. El Cid had a lot more fish and the Sand Dollar was probably better for new Snorkelers since it was guided the first time out and then they let you explore after the guided section. El Cid is cheaper if you go straight thru them and is about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the Carnival pier. we paid 45 of 50 for the all inclusive day rate which included snorkeling and food and drinks.