RCCL ends contract with Academy Bus

kjclosson

Just spoke to my TA, said as of 12/31/15 RCCL was terminating their service with Academy Bus. She asked if RCCL was working with another company and said she received the answer no but she hopes something will change. Lots of people utilize the bus service especially to Bayonne. Would hate to think this wasn't going to be an option in the future.

We were unable to secure a bus transfer for our cruise on Anthem out of Bayonne on 1/3/16. We will prob do a stay, park, cruise package as a result.

Just spoke to my TA, said as of 12/31/15 RCCL was terminating their service with Academy Bus. She asked if RCCL was working with another company and said she received the answer no but she hopes something will change. Lots of people utilize the bus service especially to Bayonne. Would hate to think this wasn't going to be an option in the future.

We were unable to secure a bus transfer for our cruise on Anthem out of Bayonne on 1/3/16. We will prob do a stay, park, cruise package as a result.

That's sad news. The service wasn't always well used but it was priced well. I had some good trips with them and some bad trips. One time our driver missed the GW Bridge exit and we had a tour of Queens, Brooklyn, Williamsburg Bridge, and Holland tunnel. Another time the bus went from Braintree to Woburn to Framingham to Worcester in MA and then on to Springfield and Hartford and arrived at CL at 2:15, which was a bit close for comfort for a 4 pm sail.

I guess it's back to Amtrak or driving/public transit for me.

Few years back we had a driver who chain smoked cigarettes at every stop to pick up people and at the rest stops. He had a running conversation on his cell phone in Russian, drove in the left hand lane all the way from RI to Bayonne (the lane that says no buses [emoji6]) and got there in less than 3 hours. It was the best ride we had ever taken. I'm pretty sure we made some turns on 2 wheels.

I just got the call from Academy. My wife and I were booked to go down to Bayonne in February for the 2/6/16 Anthem cruise. I have no idea what we're going to do now and I'm pretty pissed off. We live in Rhode Island so flying would be a ridiculous waste of time and money (it would probably take us less time to drive). From what I'm hearing, parking is a nightmare there. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm in the same situation in January jd10367. From Rhode Island and we have decided to do the stay, park and cruise option at a nearby hotel. 138east told me about trinityreservations and the cost would be less to stay overnight at the hotel and a shuttle takes you to the port the morning of the cruise, it's $110 a person for the bus from Academy anyway. I think it's $202 with taxes uncluded, It covers hotel room night before cruise, parking for up to 21 days and the shuttle to the cruise port. I was pissed when I found out too, we had relied on this bus service in the past.

If you don't love the look of the hotel or want a better area say for shopping or dinner the night before there are lots of park, stay, cruise websites and offers out there. We are 4 people and we are doing the Country Inn & Suites, it's across from the Jersey Mills shopping area and there are walking distance restaurants for us. Plus the weather here in New England is delightful so maybe going down the night before is a good option.

I just got the call from Academy. My wife and I were booked to go down to Bayonne in February for the 2/6/16 Anthem cruise. I have no idea what we're going to do now and I'm pretty pissed off. We live in Rhode Island so flying would be a ridiculous waste of time and money (it would probably take us less time to drive). From what I'm hearing, parking is a nightmare there. Does anyone have any ideas?

Who is telling you parking is a nightmare? We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 13 times. They just opened a brand new covered parking garage right next to the cruise terminal and it's wonderful We just parked there October 22 - November 1st.

If you don't want to drive, I assume, your only other option would be Amtrak.

The new garage at Bayonne opened about a month ago. I haven't used it yet but from what I hear, it's really not bad. I'd drive down and park there.

I just gave you the train answer on the other thread. The park/sleep option is fine as well. Drove down in June and had no problems parking at the port. However, I did get a flat tire and that was a real problem going home.

I arrived at 9:45 am, parked by the 911 Memorial and visited that, and actually parked around 10:30. There was traffic at the terminal, but not on the access road. My experience has been that it's much better if you arrive by 11 am.

We were on the LOS September 19 sailing (prior to opening of the new garage). Parking was a breeze. Drove up the day before and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Newark (took the NJ Transit train into NY that evening and saw a show; $5.00 each way). Drove to the port in the morning arriving around 11:20; no traffic issues (it was a Saturday). Everything was well-organized. Dropped off luggage and proceeded to parking. Maybe a 2-3 minute walk back to the terminal, but there are also shuttles. We were on the ship at noon. Disembarkation was just as easy. We were off the ship and on the road in no time.

• 3 weeks later...

So I called C&A and expressed my displeasure about the canceling of the Academy Bus contract, especially since I made final payment and three days later was told the bus wouldn't be running. I was informed that they are not going to offer ANY bus service to Bayonne. I said, "So you mean to tell me, Royal Caribbean wants to make Bayonne New Jersey a port, and they want to headquarter one of their newest ships there, but they don't provide ANY transportation options aside from an airport shuttle? When you have thirty million people in the northeast for whom flying is a ridiculous option? That sounds like the stupidest business plan I've ever heard." The response I got was pretty much, "Yup."

• 2 weeks later...
Decided the simplest option was to take the Amtrak that morning from RI down to Newark Penn Station, and just take a cab from there to the ship.

If the weather prediction is bad, consider changing your tickets and going down the night before. I did this last Jan (just as a matter of principle and not because of bad weather) and stayed at the Robert Treat in Newark for a very reasonable amount. Instead of a cab to the port, I took PATH from Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place, the light rail to Bayonne, and a cab to the port. Not for every one, but totally accessible and seats all the way.

Well, at least I got an answer here, even if it's not what I wanted to hear! I've left 3 messages with Academy Bus and gotten no reply; my TA also hasn't replied but in fairness I did email her right around Christmas!

Not sure what we're going to do but this thread has given me some ideas. We're booked on the March 27, 2016 Caribbean cruise and are from the Springfield MA area. Anyone else going our way?

Well, at least I got an answer here, even if it's not what I wanted to hear! I've left 3 messages with Academy Bus and gotten no reply; my TA also hasn't replied but in fairness I did email her right around Christmas!

Not sure what we're going to do but this thread has given me some ideas. We're booked on the March 27, 2016 Caribbean cruise and are from the Springfield MA area. Anyone else going our way?

You're on a 12 day cruise. Parking at Cape Liberty would be $228. You are 3 hours from Bayonne and leaving on a Sunday. I'd suck it up and do the drive, which would be easy on a Sunday. I can provide the cars only directions through New York City.

I wouldn't rely on Amtrak for the morning of the cruise. By the time you pay for the train tickets and the cab to and from the pier, you can drive and park.

I've taken Academy many times and was planning on taking it again in April. I was following this, hoping for suggestions. The best I've come up with, is Peter Pan out of Providence. It's about half the price of Academy, but will have to take a cab to the terminal. I just have to get a ride to Peter Pan.

You're on a 12 day cruise. Parking at Cape Liberty would be $228. You are 3 hours from Bayonne and leaving on a Sunday. I'd suck it up and do the drive, which would be easy on a Sunday. I can provide the cars only directions through New York City.

I wouldn't rely on Amtrak for the morning of the cruise. By the time you pay for the train tickets and the cab to and from the pier, you can drive and park.

138east

Would you be so kind as to post those directions ? I am also in Springfield area and have never driven to Bayonne, New York ,or Boston for that matter.

It is a bit daunting for some of us from small towns....

In the past I would drive down to Bradley airport, (40 minutes from home )and fly to Florida ,getting really sick of flying :(

Thank you!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

138east

Would you be so kind as to post those directions ? I am also in Springfield area and have never driven to Bayonne, New York ,or Boston for that matter.

It is a bit daunting for some of us from small towns....

In the past I would drive down to Bradley airport, (40 minutes from home )and fly to Florida ,getting really sick of flying :(

Thank you!

Reader

These are the directions from Boston. You would join the route on I91.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). You This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit ( left exit - stay in right lane and follow signs onto the bridge) Once on the Brudge slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

These are the directions from Boston. You would join the route on I91.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). You This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit ( left exit - stay in right lane and follow signs onto the bridge) Once on the Brudge slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

Carol

Thank you so much...

Will let you know when I get up the nerve to try it..lol :)

Reader AKA Gail

Edited by Reader0108598

WOW! not a good WOW! - just another disappointment from Royal Caribbean. Booked Anthem for April 8 with a plan in mind to take Academy bus, as I did number of times for Bermuda cruises. Yesterday went on RC web site - great news - I see they added more pick up location from MA - Woburn - 15 min from the house. Got on Academy bus website - no dates to pick from, hmmm. Called the bus company to find your - no more bus service. Call RC - wonderful CS didn't know there is no bus service, couldn't explain why they still have on their web site. No options are offered. Now we will have to figured out how to get to port.

I have 3 other Anthem cruises booked - all will be canceled. Planning this cruise is turning out to be the most hassled planning from the day one. Always something is not right.

WOW! not a good WOW! - just another disappointment from Royal Caribbean. Booked Anthem for April 8 with a plan in mind to take Academy bus, as I did number of times for Bermuda cruises. Yesterday went on RC web site - great news - I see they added more pick up location from MA - Woburn - 15 min from the house. Got on Academy bus website - no dates to pick from, hmmm. Called the bus company to find your - no more bus service. Call RC - wonderful CS didn't know there is no bus service, couldn't explain why they still have on their web site. No options are offered. Now we will have to figured out how to get to port.

I have 3 other Anthem cruises booked - all will be canceled. Planning this cruise is turning out to be the most hassled planning from the day one. Always something is not right.

Are you considering driving down?

I am traveling with another couple. Now we are discussing other options - most likely will be driving and maybe even day before. I don't think we want to be too stressed out, driving the same day.

I've done the drive the same day from the Boston area. It's about at the limit of what you want to do same-day, but it's also definitely not a ridiculous idea to leave the night before and find a nice cheap suburban hotel somewhere in southern Connecticut. (Or even an Airbnb on the route -- there's one in Sleepy Hollow that we love.)

We've done the same day drive, but find it too stressful, as we like to arrive at the port with ample time to board and enjoy our first day on the ship. Coming for SE MA, following the Rt 95 corridor is our route, so we stop in Old Greenwich for the night before the cruise at the Hyatt Regency. Sometimes, you can snag a good rate, though we tend to use our Hyatt points. It's a beautiful hotel with excellent amenities - just think of the $$ as part of the cruise. Unlike some of the larger hotel chains in the immediate area, they do not charge for parking - the hotel appears to have a parking toll gate, but whenever we've stayed there, there hasn't been any charge. In fact, they share a large parking are with adjacent businesses. It's easy off and on Rt 95 at exit 5, and there are some very good restaurants along Putnam Ave.

The last time we took a cruise out of NYC, it was with another couple. It was a bit tight with all the luggage, but sharing the ride and cost of parking at the pier make up for it. We checked into the Hyatt about 3: and took a walk around the area, then went to dinner nearby. The following day after a nice hotel breakfast, we re-loaded the luggage and set off to NYC, arriving by 11: and ready to board the ship.

Over the years, we have stayed at a variety of hotels on our way to NYC - some were really gross and not the way I wanted to start a vacation.

Darcy

We've stayed a number of times in Stamford or Rye. I like the Hampton Inn in Stamford and the Courtyard in Rye.

Be sure to print out the driving directions in post 17. You should not leave the NY/CT area before 9 am on a Wednesday morning. Paying the extra toll is critical to avoiding the overall traffic on I95 and the bottleneck at I95 & I87.

Edited by 138east