best place to eat?

map92

This one is tough to answer. Depends on what you mean by "best"? Best food? Best crowd? Cheapest? Best ambiance?

I would say "Le Select", a bar and burger joint in the middle of Gustavia is probably the most famous. You can't miss it. Jimmy Buffett's song, cheesburger in paradise, was composed after it. Cheapest you'll get in Saint Barth. with ~20 euros for burger and fries.

If you want "best ambiance", I would go to "La Plage" on Saint Jean Beach, or perhaps Eden Rock or Nikki Beach on the same beach. All very casual, beachside "shacks", with barefoot, beautiful people crowd, also with definitely the best food, but very expensive (count 100 -- 150 euros per person for lunch at those places). Many people would say these are some of the best casual lunch places in the world. People come from all over the world on mega yachts to eat there.

Edited by sbgoddess

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
This one is tough to answer. Depends on what you mean by "best"? Best food? Best crowd? Cheapest? Best ambiance?

I would say "Le Select", a bar and burger joint in the middle of Gustavia is probably the most famous. You can't miss it. Jimmy Buffett's song, cheesburger in paradise, was composed after it. Cheapest you'll get in Saint Barth. with ~20 euros for burger and fries.

YES, lots does depend on how you define "best" for your personal needs and the size of your wallet. As detailed on my live/blog below, we did not dine during our evening and then during the daytime of the next day. BUT, we saw several places of interest. Below are some of my visuals to illustrate a little on the character and/or setting for these locations. More St. Barts "eye candy" are posted on the thread of "St. Barts: Media Profile, Our Experience, Pix's!!"

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 27,842 views for these postings.

Here is my picture/memory from standing on the outdoor patio at this location celebrated as the place where Jimmy Buffet came up with his famed "Cheeseburger in Paradise" ballad. Cool signage?:

StMaartBartsA23_zpsptn1twce.jpg

Here are two samples of Shell Beach on St. Barts that is just a few blocks from the main harbor/downtown. First is my night view of this location. Second is the view from the covered tables looking out towards the water and beach. Priceless views, but like most places on St. Barts, nothing is cheap here.:

StMaartBartsA15_zpsp2xom7qo.jpg

StMaartBartsA31_zpshv8sndys.jpg