first time cruiser

Threecruise

Hi,

We are cruising on the Allure in August. Can someone please explain the formal/casual nights to me? I'm not sure I understand. Is it only is you choose a restaurant that is having a formal night you wear formal or is it across the whole ship? We were thinking we would mainly eat in the MDR or the buffet as we have a 1 year old, does it apply to this?

I am okay if it does just want to ensure I pack accordingly.

Thanks

Formal night is in the MDR. The number of nights varies depending on the length of the cruise, usually two formal nights per 7 day, 1 night per 5 day. ( shirt/ tie, coat ( optional) dress pants for him. Gown, cocktail dress, pants and sparkly top, or another nice dress for you. Casual Nights are just that, cruise casual. You will likely see Capri pants, nice shirts, skirts, sundresses, etc. Men sometimes wear nice shorts or khakis and golf or polo shirts. In the buffet, shorts and tee shirts are fine. Signature Restaurants, you will want to dress up a little, maybe khakis and a golf shirt for him and a sundress for you. These of course are just guidelines on what's worked for me. I've seen others in the MDR dress.a lot less informally.

Edited by LMW1330

And just in general, even if its formal night, a lot of people will get dressed up for the MDR, but then once they are finished, will change into more comfortable clothes. No need to stay formal for the entire night, unless you want to. :)

And not sure how it is on the Allure, would think it would be similar to Carnival, but I've seen a lot of Dockers and a nice Hawaiian shirt on the guys for formal night. Totally fine.

On Allure and other RCCL ships dressing formally only applies to the Main Dining Room ... which actually doesn't require truly formal clothes. ;)

Enjoy your cruise! :)

LuLu

Yes, this is what I was trying to get to but was getting wordy. I meant formally instead of informally. No need to go all out ballgown unless you want to.

Edited by LMW1330

We cruise RCCL most of the time and for a 7 night cruise there will be 2 nights designated as formal. This is what we wear:

Casual nights - I wear leggings/tunics, capris/nice top, sundress, skirts and blouse. My husband wears jeans and button down shirts

Formal nights - I wear a cocktail dress and my husband wears dress pants, sport coat and tie.

For shoes I bring a pair of dressy sandals that will work for all nights. I also bring a wrap because I can get cold in some of the public spaces