Help me price compare RSSC to others

jsmeeker

I've been reading this sub forum a lot lately, and the more I do, the more I want to cruise RSSC. To date, I have one cruise under my belt. On NCL, to Hawaii. (on the Star back in May 2003). We had a balcony cabin, and the cruise was great. (really, it was)

Anyway, I was in Miami a few weeks ago and saw the cruise ship terminal and lots of ships in port and I got the itch to cruise again. Poking around, it seems RSSC would be ideal for me. Sure, I may be younger than the typical RSSC passenger, but I was one of the younger people on my NCL cruise, too. I'm not worried about that part at all.

So, pricing. If I look a ship like Voyager, it seems that the best way to compare a standard cabin on that ship to something on Princess or Celebrity or whatever would be to look at some sort of "mini-suite" on those mass market ships. Is this pretty valid? I'm assuming it is. Once I do this, the pricing starts to come into the same ballpark if I look at RSSC's "2 for 1" deals. I even see free air from them for some cruises, adding even more value. I know RSSC includes tips (typically about $10 per person per day on others) and includes wine with meals (I like to drink wine with meals). So, there are two less things to spend money on, bringing the prices even closer. What else am I misisng? The RSSC website seems a bit "thin" when it comes to the "extras" that they include.

Of course, I don't expect RSSC to be a cheap cruise. But I am looking for a great value when it comes to accommodations, food, service, and overall experience. Personally, I value a larger, nicer room when it comes to travel. I'll never tell anyone "don't get a nice cabin. you'll never be in it"

Am I on the mark? What should I look for when it comes to a "deal"?? Any partiuclar time of year? Any particular itinerary? For practical purposes, a 7 day cruise is the easiest to swing, but a trans-canal cruise would be a really, really nice to do.

Bear in mind the size of the entry level suites with Radisson,on the Voyager 350 sq.ft.,and the Mariner 300 sq.ft.,are unbeatable.

Alcoholic drinks are only included with dinner.

The best deals,in the main,accompany the issue of the following year's brochure.

We cruised last April on the Voyager,and were very impressed.It compared very favourably to Seabourn,and Silversea.

All restaurants are open seating,but Signatures,and Latitudes,are reservation only.

For solo travellers,the Social Hostess holds a cocktail party,followed by dinner,on the first night .

For really detailed information,I recommend the Berlitz Guide to Ocean Cruising.

First, has anyone noticed how many recent posts have been by "younger" people looking to cruise on Radisson? Folks...You are the people cruising on Radisson!

Now, as for pricing, the suites on Radisson are superior to the mini-suites on Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity but a bit below the suites on Seabourn (but many on RSSC have real balconies).

I have personally made the comparisons for my family of 4 and find that when considering gratuities, drinks (soft and liquor), wine with dinner, etc., it can be less expensive to sail in 2 cabins on Radisson (sold as suites on the major lines) then say a Celebrity Suite on Celebrity (which is a bit bigger and nicer than the standard Radisson cabins); remembering that on Radisson all four are paying full price and on Celebrity the 3rd and 4th pay a reduced price. The exercise is obviously similar with the other lines.

I think you will also find the cruise experience is a bit better (much in some areas) and that many times the ports are more interesting and if you are inclined to take ship's tours, they quality is higher and there are less crowds (also making for a better experience).

As for which particular itinerary, you have to narrow what you are looking for or you may drive yourself mad! There are some great Trans-Canal prices, but many times that is because they are at off-demand times, so it is hard to compare RSSC to the larger lines as they do not make that cruise at the same time.

Hope this helps.

As a single, when I booked my Amazon cruise, the price for a single on Radisson was within a couple hundred dollars of Princess room with a balcony.

While some talk of the drinks with dinner, I like the "free" water :p and soft drinks. I have a friend that is related to a Princess employee and he was tell me about his first cruise (dec last year) and people standing in line 15+ minutes to get a table at dinner. No wait on my cruise. And no matter what the cruiselines say... there are lines on ships with 2000+ passengers. The ONLY waiting I did was for Customs and Imm. at San Juan the morning we docked there. All passengers had to pass thru them even if you were NOT getting off the ship... like me. :)

As far as time of year, my DH the super shopper has found that fares in December (before the holiday cruises, so you're back in time for Christmas) tend to be among the lowest of the year. Plus we get to skip all those potlucks and gift exchange parties and don't feel obligated to hang Christmas lights or bake cookies. ;)

We are going transcanal (L.A. to Ft. Lauderdale) Dec. 5 on Navigator, 2 for 1 plus fee air, which works out to a wonderful deal. We have not been on RSSC before, but from all accounts it should be a great experience.

As far as what else is included in the fare, I have read (here and other boards) that (1) the alternative restaurants are no extra charge, (2) all soft drinks, coffee, tea and bottled water (for cabin and shore excursions) are included, (3) the stateroom comes stocked with a no-extra-charge minibar, including soft drinks, beer and two bottles of liquor of your choice, (4) complimentary champagne is served at embarkation, (5) very good wine and other alcoholic drinks at dinner are no extra charge, plus a trolley comes through the dining room with cheese and port, and a tray comes by with chocolate truffles, (6) there are always dance hosts for solo ladies and a bridge instructor aboard. I'm sure the experienced passengers can add to or correct this list.

When I look at lines like Royal Caribbean, the surcharge brings things in line with Radisson or higher.

Having gotten off the Radiance last month, I had forgotten how much I dislike the crowds........how do you figure that into the price. Getting off the ship was by number and took forever. I cant wait to get back on the RSSC Voyager on Dec 5th...no lines, no crowds, just a class act.

Tom

We have a group of 8 couples that have been cruising together since 2003.

Started with Paul Gauguin.

Some of the group was worried about RSSC pricing and if we should maybe look at lower priced cruises.

Two of us had the chance to go on NCL Dream 02/2004. It was awful!!

Everything you did was wait in lines. Get charged for everything. Even long lines just to get a piece of pizza!! Only thing positive about the cruise was meeting up with other cruise critics on board and having a good time together.

We have learned our lesson. Radisson, Silver Seas, Seaborn, or nothing.

Another thing to think about is WHY you are on a cruise. If you gotta have a rock climbing wall, R/S/S are not for you. I go for the ports, the balcony and food. I did not make it to the "major show" on my 12 Mariner cruise. Sitting on my balcony and watching the world go by was the reason I was there in the first place.

After 15 cruises, I go for the ports first.....

Tell me more about the other perks you don't pay for on RSSC.

I understand now that wine is complimemtary at dinner only and that I can get a cocktail at dinner free of charge. So, this means wine costs at say, lunch time. I think I've read that sodas are free. True? At all times, or just during set meal periods?

I know about the tips. But what else is there? Just trying to think of the "nickle and dime" stuff I paid for on NCL, like up-charges at some of the alternative restaurants.

Why do I go an a cruise? I think it's a nice, relaxing vacation. It's so convenient. Like a resort, but it moves around. For me, ports aren't super important. For example, in the Carribean, I just see it all as more or less the same. It's nice to see it, but it's not really imperitive that every single stop is very unqie and very different than the previous. I'm interested in on-board experience, just like I would be intrested in what it is like to spend a whole vacation on a land based resort without going outside the gates, so the speak. to me, it's a great way to relax.

We are going transcanal (L.A. to Ft. Lauderdale) Dec. 5 on Navigator, 2 for 1 plus fee air, which works out to a wonderful deal. We have not been on RSSC before, but from all accounts it should be a great experience.

:)

Funny.. I was actually eyeing that exact cruise last night while waiting for my flight from LAX back to Dallas. I was trying to find a comparable cruise (same approx. dates and same approx duration) on another line. I think I found one almost identical on Princess. But they have a ton more cabins, and I was tryingto figure out which cabin class on Princess would compare the the lowest cabin class on RSSC. That's what made me start this thread.

If only I had the vacation days left and someone to go with. I would have actually thought about pulling the trigger on it. :)

When you arrive at your cabin ,unless you are a single,

There will be a bottle of each passengers choice of liquor or wine in the room.

If you want a premium brand they may only give you one bottle per cabin.

The mini frig will be stocked with water, soda, and a couple of beers. The water and sodas will be replaced as you use them.

There also will be a bottle on ice of champagne on the table.

RSSC ships may have specialty restaurant that need reservations, but there is no extra charge to eat there.

If you like to bring your own liquor on board do it. No problem with RSSC.

They use to offer beer and wine at lunch, but do not anymore.

At dinner you do receive your choice of wine, beer, or drink.

As long as you are in the restaurant they never charge you.

The captains welcoming party lasts for a reasonable amount of time.

No charge. If you don't like what they are walking around offering just ask.

When you arrive at your cabin ,unless you are a single,

There will be a bottle of each passengers choice of liquor or wine in the room.

Same for singles just one order of two standard or one premium liquors. Also a bottle on ice of champagne on the table even if single.

I think you will find there is not only the included items, but the way they are included that will add to your experience. You know the way the major lines have bottles of water waiting for you to purchase as to head off to an excursion, well on Radisson the bottles are there for you to just pick up.

The tours are almost always substantially less expensive than on the major lines...and there are less people on each tour as they are capacity controlled to be much less than a full busload.

Think about the times you just felt like a soda or fruit juice and said to yourself, "Naw, I don't need to spend $3 on that." On Radisson you just ask.

You can pour yourself a pre-dinner cocktail in your suite and then take it with you to one of the lounges. Or just sit on your balcony and have a cold one...just spur of the moment.

You see, it is not just a dollars issue; it is a quality of cruise issue.

Let's not forget the free laundry room - including soap. On another line, I had to pay $5 for the tokens for the washers and dryers. I figure I saved enough on Diet Cokes to pay the difference - in the room, at the bar, at lunch and dinner [and breakfast if you want], at the shows. Those are $1.50+15% on most cruise lines. And that doesn't include the judgemental factors like better food or better service, where I also think Radisson wins.

David

I think you will find there is not only the included items, but the way they are included that will add to your experience. You know the way the major lines have bottles of water waiting for you to purchase as to head off to an excursion, well on Radisson the bottles are there for you to just pick up.

The tours are almost always substantially less expensive than on the major lines...and there are less people on each tour as they are capacity controlled to be much less than a full busload.

Think about the times you just felt like a soda or fruit juice and said to yourself, "Naw, I don't need to spend $3 on that." On Radisson you just ask.

You can pour yourself a pre-dinner cocktail in your suite and then take it with you to one of the lounges. Or just sit on your balcony and have a cold one...just spur of the moment.

You see, it is not just a dollars issue; it is a quality of cruise issue.

This is pretty much what I am looking for. I'm not really expeceting the total dollar cost to be cheaper than say booking a modest suite on a mass market line like Princess or Celebrity, but rather overall "value" of the total cruise experience. It seems that if it was just a matter of pure dollars, a suite on Celebrity might be less, overall, even after adding in all those little "nickle and dime" things like sodas and bottled water. BUT, like you say, it's overall experience. Celebrity will want me to dine at the same time every night. I don't really like that. To me, it's worth it to pay a bit more to get more.

:)

If only I had the vacation days left and someone to go with. I would have actually thought about pulling the trigger on it. :)

I can't do anything about your vacation days, but having someone to go with does not need to be a deal killer where cruises are concerned. I understand from this board that RSSC treats solo cruisers very well and makes sure you are well taken care of, have dinner companions, dance hosts, etc. I sailed on HAL solo several times and had a wonderful time each trip.

Then, while sailing as a single, I met my DH on the Prinsendam, and he of course insists on coming along. ;)

In any case, if you do come on our cruise, we'll be there to say hi. :)

okay, I don't think anybody is choosing Radisson because they don't want to pay for water or wine at dinner. You can cruise a mass market line for about $300-500 less per day. That's some expensive water! :D

So forget the beverages. I don't get how mass market lines can charge for soda but not milk, but that's for another topic. And forget the gratutities. These little things maybe account for $50 a day in expenses, which in itself doens't justify the much higher cruise fare. What does, imo:

Your room.

Your amenities in that room .

The guest-crew ratio (more people to fuss over you.)

The guest-space ratio (more space for people to fuss over you.)

Being treated like a GUEST instead of a low-life pig with a credit card.

You can cruise a mass market line for about $300-500 less per day. That's some expensive water! :D .

I am not sure where you are getting your figures. :confused: I don't think we are talking about comparing an inside cabin on a Carnival 4 nighter to the Bahamas versus a Radisson suite on a 10 nighter exploring 5 European countries and 8 ports!

But even still, as I tell my clients, if you pay $199 for a cheap cruise you will assuredly double or triple that in on board and other charges just trying to make the cruise something sort of close to what you expected.

I can not talk of all Radisson tours, but on my Amazon/Caribbean cruise, every tour bus/boat had a Radisson rep onboard with their backpacks of things. I know Princess in Europe did this at one time BUT not in the Caribbean. It is nice having a rep on each bus.

While some lines try to sell you water it is grab and go on Radisson

0289.JPG

I am not sure where you are getting your figures. :confused: I don't think we are talking about comparing an inside cabin on a Carnival 4 nighter to the Bahamas versus a Radisson suite on a 10 nighter exploring 5 European countries and 8 ports!

But even still, as I tell my clients, if you pay $199 for a cheap cruise you will assuredly double or triple that in on board and other charges just trying to make the cruise something sort of close to what you expected.

We're not. Well, I'm not. I'm trying to do as close to an "apple to apples" comparison as possbile. Since there really is no "class system" in cruising these days (with a few exceptions), the one main thing that differentiates price is cabin/stateroom. On a ship like RSSC Voyager, it seems the "cheap" staterooms are comparable to mid level (or higher??) suites on other lines. (at least square footage wise). That's one thing I'm trying to compare when looking at a cruise on RSSC vs. something else. Comparable sized state room on a compareable itinerary (be it a 7 day Carribean cruise out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or a 14 or so day west coast/east coast canal transit.

Obviously, comparing an outside 300+ sqft. balcony cabin to a very small inside isn't fair, and it's not what I'm after.

I said per day. You can cruise Carnival much cheaper PER DAY than Radisson on similar iteneraries in similar rooms

Yes, but comparing a Carnival cruise to a Radisson cruise is NOT comparing apples to apples. It's like comparing a Best Western to a Ritz Carlton. No matter how much you upgrade your room, you are still on a Carnival ship, with all of the mass-market annoyances that go along with that. So that in and of itself is worth the price difference.

Before I took my first RSSC cruise, I did a very careful price comparison of a similar Celebrity itinerary, as I'd cruised Celebrity before. Of the mass-market lines, I would say that Celebrity is closer to a Radisson experience than any of the other mass-market lines. When I factored in all of the nickel-and diming, including wine w/ dinner, tips, soft drinks, bottled water, mini-bar, specialty restaurants, and the cost differential between similar shore excursions, it turned out that my Radisson cruise was less than $20 more a day! And I tried to be as realistic as possible.

The fact is, when I'm on vacation I like to enjoy myself -- yes I like that before-dinner Cosmopolitan (free on Radisson -- they gave me a bottle of vodka and also the mixers and shaker in my cabin!), yes I like wine w/ dinner, and a glass of port afterwards. I like to bring bottled water with me on an excursion. I like to have diet soda when sitting around the pool. I like to try all the restaurants. I know what I will spend on a cruise, so I had a pretty good idea of what I would be getting for free on Radisson.

So in my dollar-for-dollar, apples-to apples (as much as possible) comparison, it was less than $20 per day difference...and I feel I got WAAAY more than $20 dollars per day in value!

LeeAnne

I agree that useful comparisons are based on more than square footage.

A balcony with a teak deck, sturdy furniture and proper cushions does not compare to a rubberized deck with naked lawn furniture.

A bed with a duvet, thick towels, nice toiletries, proper glassware, a filled ice bucket, relatively comfortable seating, a cocktail table that rises so you can truly dine ensuite, etc. all are simply not available on Carnival. To a good degree they are on Celebrity and in some degree on HAL (though I find HAL to be very distant in many respects).

Overall, as I originally said, I think you will find an exact match hard to make, but in certain combinations Celebrity will come out markedly less expensive (Sky Suite vs. Radisson standard room) even with the semi-inclusives for a couple, but in other instances they come out with RSSC equal or better value. I cruise both and enjoy both. (Of course I also cruise on Seabourn and there is no comparison!)

Archived