Extra $$ for Filet Mignon on RCCL

EjMc325

Ok, this was our first cruise with RCCL (on AOS) and I was shocked to find out that I would have to pay an extra $19.95 for filet mignon! The last time we cruised was 3 years ago on Carnival and this was not the case. Is this something that RCCL does or is this now standard across the board for all cruise lines due to rising costs?

They also placed a laminated picture/price board with 3 choices, filet, lobster or filet and lobster ( which was around $45!) on each table in the dining room which looked like Chinese take out menu- very tacky! Used to be that surf and turf were standard fare. We paid a lot of money for this cruise and was very disappointed in the food overall.

Since the advent of "specialty" restaurants, the food quality and selection have gone down....folks are willing to pay extra for certain things, so the cruise line has decided that getting extra money for what USED to be included is a great thing!

We were in the MDR, not the specialty restaurant. I do see your point about the advent of specialty restaurants impacting the MDR food. I don't mind paying maybe one night for a well known restaurant that is on board, but it would still be nice for those that aren't interested in these restaurants to have the same cruising experience as before. :rolleyes:

We were in the MDR, not the specialty restaurant. I do see your point about the advent of specialty restaurants impacting the MDR food. I don't mind paying maybe one night for a well known restaurant that is on board, but it would still be nice for those that aren't interested in these restaurants to have the same cruising experience as before. :rolleyes:

It would also be nice for the cruise lines if they could charge the same prices as before.

I am very curious to know how much you really paid for this cruise.

When I started working on ships in the mid 1970's, a 7-day Mexican Riviera voyage from Los Angeles (in an outside cabin with 2 portholes) was the same price as a new Buick automobile.

That price was per person. Nobody had to pay upcharges for anything on that cruise.

So how close to the price of a new Buick was your cruise fare?

Since the advent of "specialty" restaurants, the food quality and selection have gone down....folks are willing to pay extra for certain things, so the cruise line has decided that getting extra money for what USED to be included is a great thing!

Actually, the food quality and selection on cruise ships have been going down since the Beatles broke up.

I blame Yoko Ono for all of this.

And my reasoning on this issue is about as solid as yours.

Ok, this was our first cruise with RCCL (on AOS) and I was shocked to find out that I would have to pay an extra $19.95 for filet mignon! The last time we cruised was 3 years ago on Carnival and this was not the case. Is this something that RCCL does or is this now standard across the board for all cruise lines due to rising costs?

They also placed a laminated picture/price board with 3 choices, filet, lobster or filet and lobster ( which was around $45!) on each table in the dining room which looked like Chinese take out menu- very tacky! Used to be that surf and turf were standard fare. We paid a lot of money for this cruise and was very disappointed in the food overall.

The up charge is only on nights when its not on the regular menu. The upgrade is for the chops quality steak. You can still get free steaks and free lobster on their respective nights.

+1

I haven't yet been to the steakhouse (Chop's?), but isn't the price to get the "specialty menu plates" the MDR more than it would cost to go to Chop's for the full experience?

No, the price is lower than the regular chops price. They are offering this as an upsell for those that want a better steak any night of the week but perhaps the rest of their group does not want to go to chops.

• 1 year later...

We were on RCCL Explorer last week and ordered the Chops filet ($16.95) twice in the MDR. It was perfectly grilled, juicy, thick, and worth every penny. We shared one on lobster night and had surf & turf for much less than going to Chops. Will probably do the same on the Getaway in April.:D

Royal isn't the only one that has the "upsale items" on their mdr menus. Both trips we had on Carnival in the last three years had them as well.

I did order one of the Filets on our Oasis trip a few months ago and it was very good. I was happy with the regular menu, but was craving a good filet and had plenty of obc to use up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums