Change of Ruby Princess arrival time in Skagway

lauren0309

Just received an email that our ship is arriving in Skagway at 7:00 a.m. instead of 6:00 a.m. I have a train tour booked with Chilkoot Charters. The tour is going to begin at 7:30. Will I still have time to make it?

Also, does the ship stay on ship time or local time? I don't know what time time zone is there in July.

Edited by lauren0309

You should still have time to make the tour, but it would be a good idea to inform Chilkoot of the change. Many ships get in at 7 AM and people are still able to make those tours. Just be sure you are ready to go when they start letting people off the ship.

The ship will change to Alaska time, which is one hour earlier than Pacific time. If you sail out of Seattle or Vancouver, the change will likely happen on the 2nd night. If you start in Anchorage (Seward/Whittier) then you will start out on AK time and change back to Pacific time on the 2nd to last night.

That is pretty tight even if you are first off the ship, plus it depends on where you dock. They can't hold the train because there are so many running and they have to stay on schedule. Check with your tour operator, but plan on being flexible.

Interesting; we just had notification that Coral will get to Skagway 30 minutes earlier at 0630 instead of 0700 (this is July 26).

We havent booked anything yet and won't be rushing off the ship at 0630!

For me there is great benefit in being off a ship early. But there is plenty to do and occupy your time, no matter when you get off the ship.

I will suggest some people may be interested in Steve Hite's program that some cruiselines will offer later in the day. He is a gifted storyteller with his music and gives a very nice Alaska history program. It will be listed in your ship program, if offered.

That is pretty tight even if you are first off the ship, plus it depends on where you dock. They can't hold the train because there are so many running and they have to stay on schedule. Check with your tour operator, but plan on being flexible.

There will be lots of people from their ship on ship-run tours that include the same train. Just because the tour is scheduled to start at 7:30 doesn't mean that the train leaves then. I'm sure they want to accommodate as many ship passengers as possible.

It's still a good idea to inform Chilkoot of the change, just to be safe.

There will be lots of people from their ship on ship-run tours that include the same train. Just because the tour is scheduled to start at 7:30 doesn't mean that the train leaves then. I'm sure they want to accommodate as many ship passengers as possible.

It's still a good idea to inform Chilkoot of the change, just to be safe.

Don't be so sure. Last time we were there this past summer they ran 11 trains all leaving within a few minutes of each other. We were on a ships tour and the entire train was reserved for people from our ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Called WP&Y to make a reservation directly with them for the 7:30 train with a 7am arrival. They wouldn't accept the reservation. The 7:30 train leaves from the rail yard by the Cemetary. Call Chilkoot, see what they say.

I called Chilkoot earlier this week and explained the situation. She told me we should be ok because 7:00 is the time they start letting passengers disembark, that the actual arrival time is a lot earlier. She also did say that if they could not get us on the 7:30 train, they would try to get us on a later train. Still feel 'iffy' about the situation. We really want to do the train up and bus down, but may have to do the opposite to be safe.

They short tour the Princess if offering is train both ways.

I called Chilkoot earlier this week and explained the situation. She told me we should be ok because 7:00 is the time they start letting passengers disembark, that the actual arrival time is a lot earlier. She also did say that if they could not get us on the 7:30 train, they would try to get us on a later train. Still feel 'iffy' about the situation. We really want to do the train up and bus down, but may have to do the opposite to be safe.

They short tour the Princess if offering is train both ways.

I called and the woman told me we should have time to catch the train. She said just to make sure we're off the ship as soon as they start letting passengers off. I'm debating to whether to change it to the bus up and train down so there won't be so much pressure.

Dinda,

I posted another thread to hear of anyone else's experience with this. Here is his reply

Hi Lauren

That was the exact same situation for us. There is no problem with it at all as there is quite a bit of slack in this part of the schedule. After we (6) were met at the dock the minibus picked up parties from 2 other ships before going to the train station. From memory the train did not depart until at least 8.30. You will have a great day with Chilkoot. There is complimentary bottled water in the train so don't take any from the ship. All the best, Tony