Tri Rail stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami

Rookmoney

Hi is the tri rail between FT Lauderdale and Miami a good option? We are sailing Dec 24th out of Miami. 5 of us will be flying into FLL on the 23rd & 2 coming into FLL on the 24th. I am trying to get the smoothest connection to meet up. If everything goes right the flight on 24th lands at 10:30 am. I can't decide between staying in Ft Lauderdale or Miami on the 23rd. Rental cars are to expensive for all of us to ride together so we will either Uber or shuttle. I have also looked into hotel packages that include shuttle service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't wish to join the shame-on-you-for-flying-in-the-day-of-the-cruise crowd on this board, but...

Christmas Eve? On a Saturday? Forget about "meeting up" anywhere other than heading directly to PortMiami after a 10:30 AM flight arrival. Assuming the flight is even on time by the time they claim their baggage and make the drive to the port--which will be at least an hour in holiday traffic--embarkation will be well under way on your ship.

For once I would even recommend the cruise line transfers; trying to meet up with a shared van, or even hail a taxi, will be rough going that day. If you are truly insistent on meeting up together before embarking the ship, the parties arriving on Friday should stay close to FLL, meet there and ride down together--but that will involve a lot of schlepping around of luggage. If the Friday flight is early enough I would try to find a downtown Miami hotel. But whether you stay in Miami or Ft Lauderdale you need to get cracking now to book for Christmas Eve Eve Friday.

Forget about Tri-Rail. Weekend service is limited and overcrowding is serious; if you have to wait an hour plus for the next train your day is sunk. Remember the streets will be jammed with shoppers from the early hours on Saturday the 24th; here in South Florida we put off everything until the last minute, and Christmas Eve being Saturday gives us an even better excuse.

Thank you! I am not a fan of arriving the day of either! But my daughter is in a masters program and that is the earliest she can fly out and I won't have her travel alone sooo that leaves me to fly out the morning of. You suggest staying in Miami for the other 5?

Stay near FLL and use one of the popular shared shuttles to get all 7 of you from your FLL hotel to POM. Fares start at about $15 per person - check with SAS. QLS, MJS and Go Airport

http://www.sunny.org has lots of tourist and hotel info for the FLL area

Thank you, we are flying southwest so I considered sending our luggage with the 5 arriving the day before and only backpacking on the plane. Most shuttles pick up by noon at least sas does. I just wasn't sure if I should try to uber to their hotel or hotel shuttle or just send them on their way and go straight from airport to port.

Flying from a winter area on the day of your cruise is asking for disaster. If you must fly, fly direct. You have from 10:30 am to 2:30pm to be on board for a 4:00pm sailing. This gives you 4 hours to get to the port. Any extensive delays from your planes departure to finally arriving, then getting from FLL to Miami, a 45 minute ride could put your cruise in jeopardy.

Thank you, we are flying southwest so I considered sending our luggage with the 5 arriving the day before and only backpacking on the plane. Most shuttles pick up by noon at least sas does. I just wasn't sure if I should try to uber to their hotel or hotel shuttle or just send them on their way and go straight from airport to port.

Go directly from FLL to the Port of Miami....do not waste any time. If you really must embark together....have your family meet you at the airport and transfer together from there. Good idea to only backpack on the plane...you really don't have time to wait for bags on Christmas Eve.

Edited by Magellan321

Hello Rook.

I have taken Tri-Rail ($5) to Metro rail($2.25) (plus the easy card $2 each person) to the port of Miami.

Plus the short cab ride from Metro rail to the port. One 1/2 miles.

I rode from the Hollywood station.

For a Party of seven the cost will be almost the same as a taxi van.

Edited by fireofficer5

Hello Rook.

I have taken Tri-Rail ($5) to Metro rail($2.25) (plus the easy card $2 each person) to the port of Miami.

Plus the short cab ride from Metro rail to the port. One 1/2 miles.

I rode from the Hollywood station.

For a Party of seven the cost will be almost the same as a taxi van.

Thank you! That's what I was looking for I was only thinking maybe ride until Miami airport for the 2 flying in on Saturday but it sounds like I better either transfer with carnival or uber

Hi is the tri rail between FT Lauderdale and Miami a good option? We are sailing Dec 24th out of Miami. 5 of us will be flying into FLL on the 23rd & 2 coming into FLL on the 24th. I am trying to get the smoothest connection to meet up. If everything goes right the flight on 24th lands at 10:30 am. I can't decide between staying in Ft Lauderdale or Miami on the 23rd. Rental cars are to expensive for all of us to ride together so we will either Uber or shuttle. I have also looked into hotel packages that include shuttle service.

Dude...You are playing with fire!

You need to call Larry's Limos to arrange a private shuttle for all 7 of you from Ft Lauderdale straight to Port Miami as fast as possible. If you think rental cars are expensive, try missing the ship for two of your party. Flight delays on December 24th are almost a guarantee, so you don't have time to leisurely take the Tri Rail to MIA and then a taxi to the port. If you decide to not heed my advice about Tri Rail, then at least stay at Fairfield Inn, Homewood Suites, Residence Inn or Courtyard which are all next to or across the street from the train station.

The five of you could leisurely take the Tri Rail ahead of the other two and let the latecomers take Larry's Limo, but why?

Thank you! That's what I was looking for I was only thinking maybe ride until Miami airport for the 2 flying in on Saturday but it sounds like I better either transfer with carnival or uber

The Tri Rail ends at the MIA Rental Car facility, which is detached from the airport itself, but again, you really need to forget about this option.

The Tri Rail ends at the MIA Rental Car facility, which is detached from the airport itself, but again, you really need to forget about this option.

Already forgot about it lol just don't know how to delete my question. In a perfect world we would all fly in together and this wouldn't even be an issue but I guess that's what trip insurance is for. Thank you for your reply.