Best Restaurants Port Canaveral?

roll-tide-mom4

So, next January, I'm taking my husband on a cruise for our anniversary, but I want to take a night before the cruise and get a nice beachside hotel room, take him to a couple cool local places, yada yada, but I have all that picked out. I was really hoping for some good restaurant suggestions for port canaveral or somewhere nearby that we can go for a great meal!

HAs anybody been around there and have any good suggestions? No food allergies or anything fancy. We love all different kinds of food and are up for trying something new too!

Thank you guys for anything you think might be good :)

In Port Canaveral the only place i would really suggest is Fishlips. If you like Thai food....Thai Thai just outside the port is a solid choice. About 20-25 minutes south an A1A if you want a real "foodie" meal...The Fat Snook. If you are looking for a solid seafood meal but not picky about location....Jazzy's Mainely Lobster down A1A in the heart of Cocoa Beach(keep in mind...not fancy but not cheap...sorta cross between seafood shack and eclectic local place that when my hubs was a boy...was a gas station!). I am a transplanted New England girl....so give me a lobster roll and onion rings and I'm golden!

Well there are several good restaurants in the port

All have good food IMO

We have been to them all as we winter at the port all are casual atmosphere. All with water views.

MIlligains - The best view of the cruise ships in port from the inside bar and a fun outside bar/ deck excellent food very nice

Rustys -long time seafood house great raw bar very good fish big outdoor deck -our favorite

Grills - good all the way around outside deck bar and food best Maihi IMO

Fish lips -big 2nd floor deck ok menu and food it's the big 2nd floor deck that draws

If you want local fun "dive" bar with great fish tacos then get to the Sand Bar in Cocoa beach Close to Ron Johns 1 block north of 520

Have fun!

Hotels ? when we have friends come and want a room on the beach we send them to the La Quinta not fancy it is beach front and right next to the cocoa beach pier lots to do several eateries and bars on the pier good beach and close to port and lots around there is fancier moving south down into cocoa beach.

Edited by H2opilot

Rustys -long time seafood house great raw bar very good fish big outdoor deck -our favorite

Grills - good all the way around outside deck bar and food best Maihi IMO

Fish lips -big 2nd floor deck ok menu and food it's the big 2nd floor deck that draws

These are the ones we have been to and agree on all counts. Grills is still our favorite because of the Mahi and because we have had some good times there with family. You will have more good restaurants than days to try them which is another reason to cruise again.

you want 'good places' or the standard fare

what's been mentioned so far are the standard port places. Decent but nothing special. I like grills, but not for "a night out"

for better dining consider (assuming you'll have a car or willing to pay taxi/uber)

Fat Snook http://www.thefatsnook.com/ good enuf to get Emeril to stop by ... A1A near Patrick AFB

Heidelberg https://heidelbergcocoabeach.com/ been here long time and always at the top of local "best" lists, attached Jazz Club for entertainment after dinner; downtown Cocoa Beach

ULYSSES PRIME STEAK HOUSE http://ulyssesprime.com/, "Historic Cocoa Village"

if you stay in the port, go to grills for the lion fish .... I prefer it as an appetizer but you can get that way or as dinner. As an app' you just get the fish .... leaving room for something else. If not familiar, lion fish is an invasive species decimating the sport fishing and Carib' sport diving industries as they eat EVERYTHING and nothing seems to eat them! Sport divers are encouraged to take them (spear, they won't take a hook) and it has been discovered that they are tasty! A nice mild white flaky fish .... grills prepares the whole fish with an oriental glaze ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

you want 'good places' or the standard fare

what's been mentioned so far are the standard port places. Decent but nothing special. I like grills, but not for "a night out"

for better dining consider (assuming you'll have a car or willing to pay taxi/uber)

Fat Snook http://www.thefatsnook.com/ good enuf to get Emeril to stop by ... A1A near Patrick AFB

Heidelberg https://heidelbergcocoabeach.com/ been here long time and always at the top of local "best" lists, attached Jazz Club for entertainment after dinner; downtown Cocoa Beach

ULYSSES PRIME STEAK HOUSE http://ulyssesprime.com/, "Historic Cocoa Village"

if you stay in the port, go to grills for the lion fish .... I prefer it as an appetizer but you can get that way or as dinner. As an app' you just get the fish .... leaving room for something else. If not familiar, lion fish is an invasive species decimating the sport fishing and Carib' sport diving industries as they eat EVERYTHING and nothing seems to eat them! Sport divers are encouraged to take them (spear, they won't take a hook) and it has been discovered that they are tasty! A nice mild white flaky fish .... grills prepares the whole fish with an oriental glaze ....

I always forget about Heidelberg! Haven't been in a long time....I think I know where I'm going this weekend!:)....thanks

Wow! Thank you guys so much! So many great options around there, I had no idea. I may try to convince my husband to come here for two days just so we can try more than one

So far, I think that I'm leaning towards Fishlips, Fat Snook, or Grills just based on your recommendations. Sounds like you guys like all three alot

And if we go to Grills, I'm def getting the lionfish, Capt_BJ! That sounds awesome, and I've never seen that before. Which means I've never eaten it, and I think both my hubby adn I will be really pumped to try it

Thanks guys and happy cruising! :D

Wow Captain, that is a scary looking fish. We are headed down Saturday for our Majesty cruise on Monday so we have two evenings to eat out. I always get the mahi at Grills but I may have to give that lionfish a try. For those who have not been, Rusty's, Grills, and Fishlips are on the causeway so if you time it right you can watch the ships sail out while you are there. We always enjoy waving at the ships the evening before sailing and then waving back to the crowd when we sail by. I know it is a bit touristy, but it is part of our tradition. :)

.. that is a scary looking fish .....

actually, in the water it is a beautiful fish .... and another of its problems as the top spines inject a venom at the slightest touch .... VERY VERY OUCH .... unaware divers who touch usually learn a hard lesson. But divers who 'take' these are careful and wear gloves .... to cook, they snip the top of the top fin spikes ... that's where the "bad stuff" is . . (btw, that's dd after a lionfish harvest dive in Curacao . . .)

lionfish.jpg

savereeflicenseplate.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Staying at the Radisson next week Sept 3rd. Is grills walking distance or does anyone know how much a taxi or uber would be? We won't have a car and hubby and I are looking for a good place for dinner :-)

It is walking distance but I do not recommend walking. You must cross a busy busy road (traffic coming off the highway to city roads ... they are often FAST) and then thru industrial area .....)

If the hotel is not running a shuttle (they seem to change on this regularly ... perhaps if they have a driver or not) a taxi will be "little" the distance is less than a mile as the crow flies. And we do have UBER around here if that's your thing.

depending on what time you arrive ..... Grills is fun when the cruise ships are leaving ... between 4 and 5 on days there ARE ships ... and gets very popular with the local crowd for happy hour and beyond on Fri and Sat ... which can make getting an outside seat difficult (inside less so).

If you are getting in later, Kellsey's Pizza is on your side of the street and above average IMO for both family Italian and 'za .... and a terrific Greek Salad. A local/family operation with several local spots ... I go at least once a month. YUM

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thank you for the response :-) I will keep that is mind. Another person said it was walking distance but didn't say anything about crossing a big highway lol. We will look into a taxi or uber or hopefully the hotel will have a shuttle that would be nice :-)

• 7 months later...

Hey, everybody! I know it's been a while but I wanted to check in and say that I went to Grills after overthinking it way too long (lol)!

It was AMAZING. Great atmosphere, not too pricey, and perfect at sundown for a romantic yet laid back evening. So many great recommendations to try, though! Def going to check out others over the summer. :)

We LOVED the Rock Shrimp at Florida's Seafood Bar & Grill. A very "lively" family type joint, noisy, bright, fun florida decor. But what we really loved was the sweet little rock shrimp they served in a number of different flavors! Yum!

We LOVED the Rock Shrimp at Florida's Seafood Bar & Grill. A very "lively" family type joint, noisy, bright, fun florida decor. But what we really loved was the sweet little rock shrimp they served in a number of different flavors! Yum!

Rock shrimp is amazing! What a shame that it's only seasonal, right? :( Maybe they'll have it next time I'm in town. Where is Florida's Seafood Bar & Grill in relation to the port?

Grill's seared tuna is to die for, if you get the opportunity to try it. Actually, seared tuna in general is great! I bet loads of restaurants have it in the area, with the port right there

hate to burst your bubble but any seafood you eat in Canaveral was previously frozen after being caught far far away

Our local fish processing businesses collapsed years ago and were replaced with cruise terminals.

We will be at Residence Inn on Astronaut Blvd. next Saturday before our cruise. No car we have shuttle in from MCO. Any suggestions on restaurants to walk too? If the weather is nice we would like to avoid a cab.First time for us at CoCo Beach so not familar with the area.

Thanks

Good choice!

Five very good restaurants are about 0.5 miles from the hotel – safe and easy walking.

Preacher Bar is an interesting concept – classy yet eccentric with a different kind of menu!

Kelsey’s serves popular Italian food.

Zachary’s is Greek with a home-style menu.

Thai Thai (you have to cross busy A1A) has the best Thai food in the area.

Zarrella’s Pizza offers both Brick Oven and Wood Fire pizza as well as other Italian food.

There are also McDonalds (MD), Burger King (BK) and Subway (SW) nearby.

The Florida Beer Company is THE brewery in the area with tours and a wide selection of beer on tap.

Racetrac sells affordable gas/diesel as well as wine, beer and fast food.

neighbor-map-3.jpg

spend a couple of bucks on a taxi or UBER and go to "the Cove"

several water side places to eat ... I prefer Grills but there are a half dozen places to choose from .....

portcanav.jpg

or for something a lil further away but ocean side

100_0141_zpsgcrwklbo.jpg