checking thru from LHR to FAI

brian1

hI,we are flying from LHR on the 1st Sept to SEA and on the 2nd to FAI,both with Delta.Will they check our hold luggage straight thru or do we have to lug them to hotel overnight,cheers,Brian.

hI,we are flying from LHR on the 1st Sept to SEA and on the 2nd to FAI,both with Delta.Will they check our hold luggage straight thru or do we have to lug them to hotel overnight,cheers,Brian.
Here's what Delta's Contract of Carriage says...

Passengers making connections to the first available Delta flight departing from an intermediate point may reclaim their baggage at the intermediate point if the connection exceeds six hours, but is less than twelve hours. If the connection time exceeds twelve hours, the passenger must reclaim his baggage at the intermediate point.

(My bold.)

In any event, the OP would have to reclaim the luggage at SEA whatever the duration of the stop. This is because he is arriving from LHR, and when he gets to SEA he must clear immigration, collect bags, and clear customs at that point - regardless of what his onward travel arrangements are. (I'm not aware of SEA being a place where bags can make an ITI connection without being reclaimed, but the OP is not doing an ITI connection anyway.)

In any event, the OP would have to reclaim the luggage at SEA whatever the duration of the stop. This is because he is arriving from LHR, and when he gets to SEA he must clear immigration, collect bags, and clear customs at that point - regardless of what his onward travel arrangements are. (I'm not aware of SEA being a place where bags can make an ITI connection without being reclaimed, but the OP is not doing an ITI connection anyway.)
Hi,thanks for info.We land at 13.30 and our connection is 22.00 on the 2nd,so I suppose that gap would be too big to recheckin at SEA.Cheers,Brian.ps whats an ITI connection?

ps whats an ITI connection?
Sorry: international-to-international.

At some US ports (like Miami), if you are doing an immediate international-to-international connection and your airline is part of the scheme, you may be able to have your bags through-checked so that you don't need to collect them at Miami and they are transferred straight through. You still need to clear immigration, customs and security, but you don't need to trouble with your bags.

This doesn't apply because AFAIK Seattle does not do this, and in any event your connection is neither international-to-international, nor immediate.

This doesn't apply because AFAIK Seattle does not do this...

I've been trying to find a list of US airports with ITI baggage procedures in place and can't find one. I know the list is growing, but I presume it requires status as a major hub with lots of international connecting traffic. AFAIK right now only Delta offers same-carrier ITI connections at SEA (AMS/CDG/LHR - Asia) and even same-alliance (e.g. Skyteam, Star Alliance, Oneworld) connections are very limited. So probably it will happen at SEA but hasn't yet.

Edited by Gardyloo

Hi,thanks for info.We land at 13.30 and our connection is 22.00 on the 2nd,so I suppose that gap would be too big to recheckin at SEA.Cheers,Brian.ps whats an ITI connection?

You'll be landing in the North terminal.

You'll go through Passport control and immigrations, then collect luggage and proceed through Customs.

Since an earlier poster indicated that you'll have to take your luggage with you, you'll then board an underground tram to the main concourse or terminal.

When you exit the train you'll come out in the airports regular baggage claim area. In that area is a place where you can store your luggage for a small fee, just like at LHR.