British Airways

Woobstr112G

The AARP discount is only good through next March -- the BA sale is through August. To get the AARP discount you need to enter BA through the AARP site. I did a dummy booking for Feb and when the BA price came up it showed " discount" by the fare. When I then did a dummy booking for the same flights directly through BA's site it showed the business class fare as $400 more per person. When I did the booking through the AARP website for June the price was not discounted by $400 for biz class.

The AARP discount is only good through next March -- the BA sale is through August. To get the AARP discount you need to enter BA through the AARP site. I did a dummy booking for Feb and when the BA price came up it showed " discount" by the fare. When I then did a dummy booking for the same flights directly through BA's site it showed the business class fare as $400 more per person. When I did the booking through the AARP website for June the price was not discounted by $400 for biz class.

That must have changed in the last few hours. Earlier today I booked our flights for next June using the AARP link and it took $400 off.

Let me correct that. Between last night and now they changed the deadline for the AARP discount -- it now shows it going through Oct 2016. Since I just booked my BA flights less than 24 hours I might see if I can call and cancel and rebook with the additional discount. Last night when I was trying to book my tickets their website was having major problems -- you could search for flights, put them in your cart but when you went to purchase them there was an error message. Finally after an hour I called (15 minutes on hold) and a very nice gentleman booked my flights ( PHX -FCO next June biz class ) for under $2000 pp and waived the telephone fee. Great deal even if I don't get the additional $400pp discount.

Thanks everyone for the clarification on the AARP. That really makes this a fantastic deal.

Usually AARP hasn't provided me with any good discounts other than two things; British Airways and also MedJet but the savings from those alone are far greater than the membership fee.

I guess I just didn't go all the way through when I went to the BA site this AM from the AARP site.

Keith

The flights I booked last night are no longer available. The alternative options are cumbersome so I will stick with what I have and be quite happy. But yes, to those still trying to book and layer the AARP discount you must go through AArp's website -- go to travel, them member discounts and then air travel. From there you will see the BA deal. Click onto it and it will explain the parameters. To check schedules and prices then click the book now option. A few hoops to jump through but worth it.