Visiting the cemetery and Barrachina's

cruizinisthebest

Appreciate some help here.

We will be visiting San Juan next Summer. This will be my family's 3rd trip but we've never been to the famous cemetery or Barrachina's. Can someone advise me exactly the best way to get there leaving from the cruise port that DOESN'T involve walking? Two of the people going have mobility issues. My husband and I have walked to the fort before, but I know it will be too much for at least a couple of people in our group.

Is the cemetery next to El Morro? I remember going to El Morro taking pics and looking down on a cemetery. Was that the one everyone talks about? And if so, exactly how do you get down there? And how do I get to Barrachina's?

Thanks for your help!

You don't say which cruise port you are leaving from, but San Juan has cobblestone streets & is hilly, so the people traveling with you might have a hard time walking the area.

Barrachina's Restaurant is located at 104 Calle de la Fortaleza not far from the Carnival's cruise dock.

I haven't been to the cemetery.

You might be able to hire a cab/van.

The cemetery is next to El Morro and is the one you look down on. The entrance is off the main road in front of the fort. There is a drive that goes down and under the outer wall. In the photo you can see the drive lined with cars above the cemetery to the left of the walkway to the fort entrance. The cemetery is very interesting. If you don't have bags to drop off at barrachina, you might want to take the taxi to the fort and then walk downhill after.

DSC00213_zpsmvd4gybi.jpg

DSC00212_zpspqcn6jde.jpg

The cemetery is next to El Morro and is the one you look down on. The entrance is off the main road in front of the fort. There is a drive that goes down and under the outer wall. In the photo you can see the drive lined with cars above the cemetery to the left of the walkway to the fort entrance. The cemetery is very interesting. If you don't have bags to drop off at barrachina, you might want to take the taxi to the fort and then walk downhill after.

DSC00213_zpsmvd4gybi.jpg

DSC00212_zpspqcn6jde.jpg

Thank you for the pics!

• 3 weeks later...

you can take the free trolley & get off at the stop before you hit El Morro. However, the cemetery is not open to the public. You can only look in through the gates or over the walls. To get to the cemetery is a long kind of steep driveway/street/ which means walking uphill when you want to get back to the main street.

you can take the free trolley & get off at the stop before you hit El Morro. However, the cemetery is not open to the public. You can only look in through the gates or over the walls. To get to the cemetery is a long kind of steep driveway/street/ which means walking uphill when you want to get back to the main street.

Really? Ugh. Ok thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I just checked out the Barrachinas Cemetery on TripAdvisor, and there are several very recent reviews that state it is open to the public, but it really depends on the when you go.;)

I just checked out the Barrachinas Cemetery on TripAdvisor, and there are several very recent reviews that state it is open to the public, but it really depends on the when you go.;)

Do you mean what time of day you go? Or what day of the week? etc. I will check out trip advisor. Thank you.

Do you mean what time of day you go? Or what day of the week? etc. I will check out trip advisor. Thank you.

I live in PR and rest assured, the cemetery is open to the public during the day. The walk down and back up the street that leads to the gates might post a challenge if there are mobility issues in the group. I'd suggest you take a taxi straight to the gates and gauge the walk up before going to Barrachina. If the walk is too much for those in the group one person can hail a taxi on the upper street and take it to Barrachina (it's a steep walk down to Barrachina at some parts). If you can all make the walk up from the cemetery, go to the nearest trolley stop on the El Morro side of the street and that trolley should take you very close to Barrachina.

I live in PR and rest assured, the cemetery is open to the public during the day. The walk down and back up the street that leads to the gates might post a challenge if there are mobility issues in the group. I'd suggest you take a taxi straight to the gates and gauge the walk up before going to Barrachina. If the walk is too much for those in the group one person can hail a taxi on the upper street and take it to Barrachina (it's a steep walk down to Barrachina at some parts). If you can all make the walk up from the cemetery, go to the nearest trolley stop on the El Morro side of the street and that trolley should take you very close to Barrachina.

Thank you for your reply. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Do you think we could get a taxi to take us to the cemetery from the port, wait for us, then drop us off at Barrachina's? Then we could take a taxi back to the port from there. Is that possible or even necessary to ask a taxi to wait for us? Honestly I'm not sure I wanna wait for a trolley. This will be in August! Your thoughts?

Also, where is this bad part of town by the cemetery that everyone keeps talking about? Sorry but even though I've been to San Juan before, it's kind of hard for me to picture how all of this is laid out in my head. All I know is that we've been to El Morro before, and I remember us looking down on a cemetery off to my right - not far from where you begin the long walk up to the fort entrance. Maybe if I can get back to that part of the fort, someone will be able to direct me how to get to the cemetery.

Yes I'm slightly fascinated with cemeteries. I just wanna see it. Also, can you tell me the name of it. Maybe I can do some research and find out a little more about the people laid to rest there. I'm not creepy I promise. I just like certain historic things. ;) Thank you.