Non RC excursion String Rays/Snorkel

SugareeSunflower

Looking for reliable tour for String Rays and snorkeling. I have been to Grand Cayman in the past but did an excursion through Royal. Looking to have a better experience and save some money this time around. Thanks for the help.

See my post in this recent thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332857

I did lots of research. Chose Dexter's. $40 per person and sail back [wind permitting]. Will report back in a couple weeks.

You are aware that Dexter is not actually personally running his tours at the moment due to health issues? (though people are giving very favorable reviews of fill-in Captain Astor)

Just FYI

We've booked a custom jet ski tour (max 5/6 jetski's) with Ebanks Watersport.

We've chosen the stingray city and snorkel tour. The stop at Stingray City was amazing, we could hold a stingray and had enough time to look around and take photos. The stop for snorkeling was just ok, there wasn't much to see. But overall a great excursion, especially for our husbands who liked riding the jetskis.

Well dang. We go in June. So I guess I'll let YOU know how it goes instead. LOL ;)

We have booked Stingray Sailing for April 14th, so I'll report back when we get home from our cruise. Michelle has been great to deal with so far through e-mail and the process of making the deposit was very easy.

• 3 weeks later...
We have booked Stingray Sailing for April 14th, so I'll report back when we get home from our cruise. Michelle has been great to deal with so far through e-mail and the process of making the deposit was very easy.

We just returned from our Freedom of the Seas cruise yesterday. We're so happy that we booked with StingraySailing and highly recommend them. The ship arrived at 8:00 Florida time, which was 7:00 local time, since Grand Cayman does not observe daylight savings time. Tendering was a breeze and we were off the ship by 8:10 ship time. Tendering was very efficient because they disembarked passengers onto tenders from two gangways, one toward the front of the ship and one from the aft and the tenders ran frequently.

We easily found Captain Chip at the predetermined meeting spot an hour before the scheduled meeting time of 8:15 local time. The catamaran was comfortable and Captain Chip and his mate were great. We arrived at Stingray City before many of the other boats arrived and he stopped at a spot away from others. We were impressed with how the crew respected the stingrays and did not mishandle them. We saw a variety of fish at the snorkeling spot at the barrier reef, which was close to stingray city. We were so glad that we booked with StingraySailing and were not on one of the overcrowded boats that we saw. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have about this private excursion.

Edited by marys350

We just returned from our Freedom of the Seas cruise yesterday. We're so happy that we booked with StingraySailing and highly recommend them. The ship arrived at 8:00 Florida time, which was 7:00 local time, since Grand Cayman does not observe daylight savings time. Tendering was a breeze and we were off the ship by 8:10 ship time. Tendering was very efficient because they disembarked passengers onto tenders from two gangways, one toward the front of the ship and one from the aft and the tenders ran frequently.

We easily found Captain Chip at the predetermined meeting spot an hour before the scheduled meeting time of 8:15 local time. The catamaran was comfortable and Captain Chip and his mate were great. We arrived at Stingray City before many of the other boats arrived and he stopped at a spot away from others. We were impressed with how the crew respected the stingrays and did not mishandle them. We saw a variety of fish at the snorkeling spot at the barrier reef, which was close to stingray city. We were so glad that we booked with StingraySailing and were not on one of the overcrowded boats that we saw. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have about this private excursion.

Great to hear.

Since you are taking questions :) :

1. How long was the snorkeling stop? (more than 30 minutes?)

2. Did they let a rope out during the snorkeling that you could use to work your way back to the boat?

3. What was the order of the stops? (Snorkeling 1st or last)

4. Was riding on the Far Tortuga bumpy/choppy/lots of motion either motoring out or sailing back? (i.e. any sea sickness concerns)

5. Finally, was there plenty of water to drink?

Edited by NightOne

Snorkeling was at least 30-45 minutes. Mask and snorkel, fins, left vests, life jackets, and noodles were available.

2. Did they let a rope out during the snorkeling that you could use to work your way back to the boat?

Water was calm the day we went and the boat was anchored. They did not let out a rope for people to use to work their way back to the boat, but nobody had any difficulty swimming back to the boat on their own. Michelle was great about answering any of my questions when I emailed her, so you could check with her.

Stingrays first, then snorkeling.

4. Was riding on the Far Tortuga bumpy/choppy/lots of motion either motoring out or sailing back? (i.e. any sea sickness concerns)

We had perfect weather conditions and a very smooth ride on the catamaran on the day that we went.

There was a cooler filled with complimentary bottles of water. Beer was $5.00 each and soda was $2.00 each. They also served complimentary sliced apples and oranges.

Snorkeling was at least 30-45 minutes. Mask and snorkel, fins, left vests, life jackets, and noodles were available.

Water was calm the day we went and the boat was anchored. They did not let out a rope for people to use to work their way back to the boat, but nobody had any difficulty swimming back to the boat on their own. Michelle was great about answering any of my questions when I emailed her, so you could check with her.

Stingrays first, then snorkeling.

We had perfect weather conditions and a very smooth ride on the catamaran on the day that we went.

There was a cooler filled with complimentary bottles of water. Beer was $5.00 each and soda was $2.00 each. They also served complimentary sliced apples and oranges.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm looking forward to this one later this year. :)

We used Nativeway watersports (based on recommendations from CC) last week in Grand Cayman and they were wonderful. We did the stingray, snorkel and starfish tour and it was amazing. There were 11 passengers on the boat, including my family of 4. We went out to stingray city and it was crowded so we reversed order and snorkeled first We dropped anchor all by ourselves in coral gardens and were there at least 30 minutes, probably more like 45, they threw out a life preserver, handed out equipment and off we went. Eventually, more boats and jet skis joined us, but it was very awesome snorkeling. We thoroughly enjoyed stringray city and finished at starfish point.

Sheldon and TJ were our tour guides and they were just great, and it was so nice to be in a small setting. I just can't say enough good things about dealing with this company.

We made the unfortunate decision to book our sting ray / snorkel tour once off the cruise ship last week. We booked with Blue Ray tours. Nothing was as they said it would be. Told 35 people. There were 50+. Told 45 minutes at sandbar and 45 at snorkel stop. Got 15 minutes snorkelling. Focus was on selling the photos they took of passengers with the ray. Told all equipment. They had masks and snorkels but no fins! I doubt the snorkels were disinfected between uses. Glad I had my own equipment. I learned my lesson and will do my research and book prior to arrival next time.

• 1 month later...
We used Nativeway watersports (based on recommendations from CC) last week in Grand Cayman and they were wonderful. We did the stingray, snorkel and starfish tour and it was amazing. There were 11 passengers on the boat, including my family of 4. We went out to stingray city and it was crowded so we reversed order and snorkeled first We dropped anchor all by ourselves in coral gardens and were there at least 30 minutes, probably more like 45, they threw out a life preserver, handed out equipment and off we went. Eventually, more boats and jet skis joined us, but it was very awesome snorkeling. We thoroughly enjoyed stringray city and finished at starfish point.

Sheldon and TJ were our tour guides and they were just great, and it was so nice to be in a small setting. I just can't say enough good things about dealing with this company.

I have booked with them for my excursion in a couple weeks, while double checking the details, I noticed the return time was 4:45 central time. Did you go on the afternoon excursion? If so, what time did you actually return? Was the tender covered up? What ship were you on and did they go by central time too? I normally book morning excursions, so I do not have a concern of missing the ship.