Snorkeling from the beach

Kmix78

Hi Everyone,

We will to be on Grand Cayman this coming October, with three kids aged 12, 13 and 9.The kids have snorkeled previously, but only very close to shore in Cabo San Lucas, and I was wondering if they would be able to have a decent time snorkeling from the shore at 7 mile Beach? I was considering booking an excursion through our cruise ship, but I don'twant to risk it in case they are afraid of swimming in the open water.

Also I have never ever snorkeled before, and I have never even tried to breathe through a snorkel. It's on my bucket list though, and I would like to try it with them,and we are planning to purchase snorkels and masks for them before our trip. The other question I have is whether flippers are necessary? Everything I see on the Internet seems to be contradictory, with some saying they would never attempt to snorkel without fins and others saying that it is a personal preference. I saw that there were some well-known snorkel sites very close to shore, within 100 yards. Our fence necessary for a swim of that length? Or is the water there calm enough to give it a go without it. Of course, since we are going from the shore and not from a boat we will only be going for a short periods at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you wanted to do sting ray city it's only waist deep and an amazing experience. You could also stop it at starfish point or even coral gardens. Coral gardens is 15-20 feet and I'm terrified of deep water. Not here though. The water is SO CLEAR it doesn't feel that deep. It felt small and private and safe to me. In fact this month in bringing my 8 year old to try it!

Also my first snorkel experience was here and I truly didn't have a need for my flippers. Maybe it was because we didn't go that far and there was no current though. We still used them lol

Fins are not strictly necessary most of the time. They do make a difference, reducing the effort required to swim. When snorkeling in waters with currents, I consider them necessary.

Ship snorkeling excursions always hand out and require the wearing of a flotation device. Usually this is some sort of inflatable vest. If you are not confident in open waters partially inflate the device (vest).

I do not recall any decent snorkeling off of 7-mile beach. But it is a long beach :), and I have not seen it all.

There are two commonly snorkeled sites just off shore of George Town. In fact one passes them on the tender ride in. One is a wreck, the other a reef. These are likely the sites you are asking about. While one can swim to them from shore, I would suggest joining a cruise excursion. The boats will take you to each site, provide gear (mask, snorkel, fins, flotation vest), and keep an eye out. You can use your own mask & snorkel.

• 2 weeks later...

On our last cruise, my husband and I mapped out every single snorkeling site from 7 mile beach back towards the port. We stopped at the most distant one via taxi, looked for each marker, snorkeled, and so on... None of the sites were worth it and would be tough for a beginner as they were all about 100-150 yards off of the beach.

The best snorkeling in Grand Cayman in my opinion is actually within a few blocks of the port at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto. Basically get off the tender, leave the port gates, and take a right. You can't miss it! The sea life is amazing, rentals are cheap ($14 pp for vest, mask, snorkel, and fins), and it even has a teeny tiny beach where you can see your ship!

I refuse to snorkel without fins. With currents in many areas, the fins are necessary for safety and being able to move efficiently.

Edited by lucyddr

Your kids are the perfect age for the Stingray City and snorkeling excursions. The one we did went to Coral gardens. It was beautiful and way nicer than anything off beach.

Choose a small private operator and they will help you even if you've never snorkeled.

Fins are needed when there is a current. That can change from day to day and even from hour to hour.

I've been thinking about Stingray City & Starfish Point

You know that for those spots you're going to have to book an excursion, right?

Stingray City is out in the ocean, and you need a boat to get there.

Starfish Point is nowhere near Seven Mile Beach or the port area, and you'd need a rental car (45 minute drive from town) or an excursion that stops there by boat as part of a Stingray City trip.

The best snorkeling in Grand Cayman in my opinion is actually within a few blocks of the port at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto. Basically get off the tender, leave the port gates, and take a right. You can't miss it! The sea life is amazing, rentals are cheap ($14 pp for vest, mask, snorkel, and fins), and it even has a teeny tiny beach where you can see your ship!

A couple of questions, Lucy, if you don't mind:

Do you remember the cost to get in? We have our own snorkel equipment so won't be renting, didn't know if the rentals is how they make their money. Is Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto close to each other or enter water at same place to swim out to see both? Do these 2 places have store fronts or do we just look for 'sign' to enter. Thank you very much for any answers you can provide and feel free to add any info that I didn't think to ask that you think will help. This is exactly what I have been looking for to do this summer in GC. Again, thank you in advance. Janie

KMix, I just realized this thread was started with your post with very specific questions. I do believe I just did the infamous 'thread hijack'. I am sorry!

Edited by mamieof3

there is no charge to snorkel for any of these places ... access to the water is free.

For Eden Rock, just look for the dive shop sign. If you need to rent equipment or want to hire a guide then there will be a charge, but if you have your own gear just jump in. Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto are basically two parts of one stretch of reef.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/shore.html

Same applies to Sunset House just down the road .... with the added benefit of "My Bar"

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

http://www.sunsethouse.com/

Edited by Capt_BJ

That's ok mamieof3! I appreciate any and all info, since I haven't made a decision yet and still in the research phase of my planning :)

one thing about Eden and Sunset House

this is probably NOT the best place for beginners. While current is almost unheard of most of the time, this is a deeper area. Water will be over your head and can be 40' depending on where you go ... standing on coral is always a no no, but you won't find any shallow sandy spots here . . . these are popular shore SCUBA sites.

Sunset House does have their 'sea pool' which is a good place for beginners to get acclimated but even this is more than 6 feet . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

one thing about Eden and Sunset House

this is probably NOT the best place for beginners. While current is almost unheard of most of the time, this is a deeper area. Water will be over your head and can be 40' depending on where you go ... standing on coral is always a no no, but you won't find any shallow sandy spots here . . . these are popular shore SCUBA sites.

Sunset House does have their 'sea pool' which is a good place for beginners to get acclimated but even this is more than 6 feet . . .

Thank you Capt, This is good to know! I swear a big part of the fun for me is the planning. I love getting everyone's advice and perspective. Thank you all! Janie

• 3 weeks later...

We did Coral Gardens, Stingray city and starfish point with Native Way Sports last month and they were great. 11 guests on our boat, 2 guides. My kids are 13 and 15 and had no problem snorkeling, but the kids can stay on the boat if they don't want to jump in and the guides will throw out some food to bring the fish closer to the boat. We loved stingray city much more than I thought we would.

Hi there

I have been snorkeling at "cemetery beach". The snorkeling is pretty good, but...

you have to swim out about 100 yds. somewhat to the left to get to the reef...there really are no markings. There may be others swimming there as well and you could ask. So it would depend on how strong the kids are if they would be comfortable. The reef is not too deep here, so if they had life vests they would be able to see some nice (not great) reef and fish.

the beach area is very beautiful and quiet but there are no facilities just some trees to get out of the sun. I believe there is a store along the main road.

It is a little further north past 7 mile beach...the public bus stops at the cemetery or you could take a taxi.

have a great cruise

A couple of questions, Lucy, if you don't mind:

Do you remember the cost to get in? We have our own snorkel equipment so won't be renting, didn't know if the rentals is how they make their money. Is Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto close to each other or enter water at same place to swim out to see both? Do these 2 places have store fronts or do we just look for 'sign' to enter. Thank you very much for any answers you can provide and feel free to add any info that I didn't think to ask that you think will help. This is exactly what I have been looking for to do this summer in GC. Again, thank you in advance. Janie

KMix, I just realized this thread was started with your post with very specific questions. I do believe I just did the infamous 'thread hijack'. I am sorry!

Sorry! I'm just now seeing this, but others did answer. While neither charge, we have always bought a few drinks just to support the business. I will say that this is "big boy and big girl" snorkeling and is not appropriate for novice snorkel lets and non-swimmers. I personally would never snorkel somewhere like this without fins, and currents vary and can't always be predicted.

Hope you have fun! We plan to snorkel Eden Rock in September...can't wait!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just returned from GC on a cruise.

We had our own gear and did Eden rock. It was GREAT.

We experienced a strong current, so pay attention and go into the current first and drift back as you tire out.

Exit the tenders and turn right... follow the road 300 yards to the dive shop. Access is free via their swimming pool style ladder. Watch out, there sea urchins in the rocks at the foot of the ladder.

Again...not a place for total beginner or weak swimmers.

You can easily snorkel and then stroll the town for a bit and no taxi needed.

The shop rents lockers or you can just leave stuff on the picnic benches. AYOR

I'd be very happy to come back here.