Paul Gauguin Versus Windstar

astridwilson

Use the search feature and you can pull up threads already discussing this. There are only a couple posters who have sailed both in Tahiti. I have, and I far preferred Windstar.

Suggest you research and choose what you would like.

Tattoo boy is another poster who has sailed both and he preferred the PG.

I would suggest that you check out the current windstar sailors as some who have sailed both sailed on windstar some years ago. As we know much has changed in cruising in the last ten years....some for the better and some for the worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Both are ships with full displacement hulls, so the ride is comparable. I would say the key difference between PG and Windstar is the beam width from starboard to port) of the ship. With that wider beam, PG is able to outfit most of her berths with balconies. Especially in the tropics, this is an important feature to me. I absolutely hate air conditioning and its stale, recirculated air, so PG is my pick for that reason alone.

I've had the pleasure of cruising on both Paul Gauguin Cruises and Windstar in Tahiti. They are both excellent cruise vacations.

In order for you to decide which is best for you consider what the ships cater to...

Paul Gauguin Cruises is an all-inclusive six-star luxury cruise. Their focuses is on excellent cuisine, outstanding service, luxurious amenities, etc. The cruise price is higher because most items are included. The only extras you'll pay for are shore excursions, spa treatments and gambling.

Windstar is a sailing ship that offers a more casual, adventure-oriented experience. It's a lovely cruise that focuses more on the destination then how you get there. The rooms are nicely decorated, but simple. The food is good, not excellent. The evening entertainment is basic, but not everyone stays out after dinner. The price is lower and so more items are an extra charge onboard, such as drinks and gratuities.

If you are celebrating a special occasion I would suggest the Paul Gauguin. If you are more budget-minded or want a casual holiday, I would suggest Windstar.

I hope this helps make your decision! Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

I've had the pleasure of cruising on both Paul Gauguin Cruises and Windstar in Tahiti. They are both excellent cruise vacations.

In order for you to decide which is best for you consider what the ships cater to...

Paul Gauguin Cruises is an all-inclusive six-star luxury cruise. Their focuses is on excellent cuisine, outstanding service, luxurious amenities, etc. The cruise price is higher because most items are included. The only extras you'll pay for are shore excursions, spa treatments and gambling.

Windstar is a sailing ship that offers a more casual, adventure-oriented experience. It's a lovely cruise that focuses more on the destination then how you get there. The rooms are nicely decorated, but simple. The food is good, not excellent. The evening entertainment is basic, but not everyone stays out after dinner. The price is lower and so more items are an extra charge onboard, such as drinks and gratuities.

If you are celebrating a special occasion I would suggest the Paul Gauguin. If you are more budget-minded or want a casual holiday, I would suggest Windstar.

I hope this helps make your decision! Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

Denise,

Many of us consider the PG as the best cruise line in FP culturally. It is the only cruise line that is stationed in FP 100% of the time and focuses it cruise itinerary primarily in FP waters. It is the only cruise line in FP with several local host on board, The Gaugines. The PG brings FP on-board better than any other cruise line, IMO, and 100's of others. There are no formal nights and many of us love that fact. Country club casual is about as dressed up as one needs to get for dinner.

Love your additions ;)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

To correct some misperceptions: Windstar is country club casual, no formal nights. Windstar also brings local hosts on board.

Windstar has a beach BBQ and something the PG doesn't, a deck BBQ on the ship under the stars one night of the cruise.

Both ships offer the same linens, toiletries, robes and slippers, etc. One difference is that ALL cabins on Windstar have an iPod docking station, only the upper suites on the PG do.

All non-alcoholic beverages, including bottled water, are complimentary on Windstar. One other thing Windstar has that makes it very special are the sails. There is nothing more wonderful than gliding across the water on wind power.

The Paul Gauguin has an incredible BBQ day on Motu Mahana, it is a fabulous BBQ spread, including of course free alcoholic drinks as it is every day on the PG, although on the BBQ day you can have it in a coconut.

Getting ready for the BBQ

IMG_3371_zpsea4cec98.jpg

The bar is open

IMG_3372_zpscf92b2bb.jpg

My drink in a coconut from Elmo, my favorite bartender

elmo2011_zpscfbadd67.jpg

Even Santa showed up on BBQ day, yes, that is Tiki

santa_zpsa3e22d20.jpg

The Paul Gauguin has about a half dozen local host called 'Les Gaugines'. The Les Gaugines are on the ship the entire time, 24/7. They provide cultural experiences daily and incredible entertainment with their dancing and singing. No other ship does it like the PG.

This is what awaits you when you arrive on Motu Mahana

Les_Gaugines_Perform_At_Tahaa_Private_Motu_zpsc693bf90.jpg

Edited by Tikiintahiti

The PG has Mark Eddowes. That alone should be enough to travel on the PG. The BB Motu as well as Motu Mahana are big draws.

Dont understand the fascination with sails.... but to each his own. I think each line attracts a certain type of person and thats why one tends to enjoy certain cruiselines more than others.

I have seen pics of Windstar and nothing attracts me to them. Outside of FP If I am looking for a smaller sized ship I think that I would be happier on Seabourn or on some of the expedition ships or the Tere Moana.

I would consider the Regent cruises to Tahiti before Windstar. Their ships are all suite plus the service and food is quite good.

We found the food and service in Windstar to be far better than on the PG. Until anyone has cruised both, they really don't have a basis for comparison.

Yes, but have you cruised Windstar in FP?

FP is rather protectionist when it comes to importing goods. Besides the logistics of importing to an island .At one time ( not sure whether it is true now) a good number of the crew had to be from FP or France so the Windstar could be different in FP and elsewhere. All I can say is that Tattoo Boy preferred the PG over Windstar and he has sailed on both lines in FP.

I wasnt comparing the lines as I have not sailed on Windstar but I have sailed on all the Regent ships and I can stay with certainty that they have very nice cabins and the service and food is of a pretty high level. Since I have no fascination with sails and didnt even like the look of the Windstar ships from the outside my prejudiced statement would say. No way Windstar but yes way PG or Regent. The newer Oceania ships are too big for the lagoons (IMO).

Yes, but have you cruised Windstar in FP?

FP is rather protectionist when it comes to importing goods. Besides the logistics of importing to an island .At one time ( not sure whether it is true now) a good number of the crew had to be from FP or France so the Windstar could be different in FP and elsewhere. All I can say is that Tattoo Boy preferred the PG over Windstar and he has sailed on both lines in FP.

I wasnt comparing the lines as I have not sailed on Windstar but I have sailed on all the Regent ships and I can stay with certainty that they have very nice cabins and the service and food is of a pretty high level. Since I have no fascination with sails and didnt even like the look of the Windstar ships from the outside my prejudiced statement would say. No way Windstar but yes way PG or Regent. The newer Oceania ships are too big for the lagoons (IMO).

The majority of the crew we encountered on the PG were from neither FP or France, so I don't think there are restrictions on crew nationalities.

Service is service, and we found it far better on Windstar.

You haven't sailed them, so I don't know how you could criticize a cabin you've never seen. They were almost identical to the PG in terms of style and furnishings, however I preferred the layout on Windstar only because the closet doors don't open to the side of the bed making it difficult for two people to access and move freely at the same time. Minor but it did get annoying at times. I also missed the docking station for my iPod, I like background music in my cabin, which wasn't possible on the PG. An inexpensive detail that I was surprised they don't offer.

I'm not getting into the ridiculous "tit for tat" arguing that goes on here. I have been on both cruiselines in FP, most posters here have not. And, if you haven't your words really hold no validity.

And really, why waste time fighting about what line you like better? Who cares?

The majority of the crew we encountered on the PG were from neither FP or France, so I don't think there are restrictions on crew nationalities.

Service is service, and we found it far better on Windstar.

You haven't sailed them, so I don't know how you could criticize a cabin you've never seen. They were almost identical to the PG in terms of style and furnishings, however I preferred the layout on Windstar only because the closet doors don't open to the side of the bed making it difficult for two people to access and move freely at the same time. Minor but it did get annoying at times. I also missed the docking station for my iPod, I like background music in my cabin, which wasn't possible on the PG. An inexpensive detail that I was surprised they don't offer.

Pg is exempt now as it's run by a Tahitian company Pacific Beachcomber.

As you say I know nothing about wind star and have nothing against them. However if not on the pg I would recommend Regent as I know them well. I didn't criticize the wind star cabin but from what I have read the base cabins are small like the PG. Regent base cabins are substantially bigger and have walk in closets which I find very convenient. Also Very few non balcony cabins on Regent except for the Navigator. I didn't see the balconies in the wind star picture. Do they have any?

Agreed on the iPod docking station.

WOW!

If I'm in paradise I'm not sitting in my cabin listening to an iPod, I'm out on the balcony, enjoying good food, getting free alcoholic drinks, watching us come into a lagoon from deck 7 or 8, out on an excursion ..........

Not to say some might want to listen to music while they are in the cabin but an iPod station? Hummmmmm .......... I place that way down on the pecking order list like between the type of toilet paper and the color of the carpet.

Hummmmmmmmmmm

Windstar - iPod docking station

PG - unlimited free alcoholic drinks, Les Gaugines, Motu Mahana ........

Hummmmmmmmmmmm ......... which one should I prioritize :rolleyes:

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Duckllite

I really don't post many things on C/C. I have to comment on your post.

You are always saying negative things about the Paul/G.

Your quote: "Windstar has a beach BBQ and Paul/G doesn't "

How can you post incorrect information?

The P/G has a wonderful Beach BBQ. As Tiki pointed out.

I really think you should concentrate more on finding that VILLA, that you want to rent when you return to FP.

Zoey4545:

I'm not getting into the ridiculous "tit for tat" arguing that goes on here. I have been on both cruiselines in FP, most posters here have not. And, if you haven't your words really hold no validity.

And really, why waste time fighting about what line you like better? Who cares?

Because some people have nothing better to do!

Well qualified poster here. Or at least as well qualified as many here.

Windstar havent sailed in Tahiti since 2002. Even if you have sailed both 12 years ago how can that have any meaning now? And if you have sailed windstar elsewhere what relevance does this have to a tahitian itinerary?

So, for the OP, what criteria will help you shape your decision?

Having been faced with the choice between windstar and katarina line for croatia in the past we chose the locals because they would give us a better experience despite the significantly lower "quality" of the ship, food, etc.

Pg is exempt now as it's run by a Tahitian company Pacific Beachcomber.

As you say I know nothing about wind star and have nothing against them. However if not on the pg I would recommend Regent as I know them well. I didn't criticize the wind star cabin but from what I have read the base cabins are small like the PG. Regent base cabins are substantially bigger and have walk in closets which I find very convenient. Also Very few non balcony cabins on Regent except for the Navigator. I didn't see the balconies in the wind star picture. Do they have any?

Agreed on the iPod docking station.

NO balconies on Windstar, but after spending the money on one we never used on the PG, it wouldn't deter me from sailing them.

WOW!

If I'm in paradise I'm not sitting in my cabin listening to an iPod, I'm out on the balcony, enjoying good food, getting free alcoholic drinks, watching us come into a lagoon from deck 7 or 8, out on an excursion ..........

Not to say some might want to listen to music while they are in the cabin but an iPod station? Hummmmmm .......... I place that way down on the pecking order list like between the type of toilet paper and the color of the carpet.

Hummmmmmmmmmm

Windstar - iPod docking station

PG - unlimited free alcoholic drinks, Les Gaugines, Motu Mahana ........

Hummmmmmmmmmmm ......... which one should I prioritize :rolleyes:

You don't shower and dress in your cabin? Maybe it's not important for you, but it was something we very much missed. Your need to suck down cheap free booze isn't important to me--with the difference in price I could easily pay my bar tabe and gratuities with cash left over.

Windstar also has a motu BBQ and they have a deck BBQ as well. Windstar has Polynesians on board--a fact that has been mentioned but you want to ignore.

Duckllite

I really don't post many things on C/C. I have to comment on your post.

You are always saying negative things about the Paul/G.

Your quote: "Windstar has a beach BBQ and Paul/G doesn't "

How can you post incorrect information?

The P/G has a wonderful Beach BBQ. As Tiki pointed out.

I really think you should concentrate more on finding that VILLA, that you want to rent when you return to FP.

Zoey4545:

Go back and read what I said. Windstar has both a beach BBQ and a DECK BBQ. PG does not have the deck BBQ.

I have said some complimentary things about PG as well, it's unfortunate that you couldn't be bothered reading them.

By the way, there are hundreds of villas on Bora Bora for rent--one minute on Google will find them.

Exactly. There is one poster who has sailed both who prefers the PG. At last count there are six posters who prefer Windstar, at least three of which state they would never cruise the PG again, and at least two of which who have sailed both in FP.

Edited by ducklite

I love standing on the rail of my balcony with a cup of fresh coffee in my hand .......... all while watching the beauty of an island appear as the Paul Gauguin slipped through the reef and into the lagoon ........ it's magical!

Just so you newbies know the Paul Gauguin normally slips through the opening in the reefs either at sunrise or sunset, the timing is intentional so you can enjoy this magical moment. Some are not up and out of their rooms by 7am to catch this incredible moment but if you have a balcony you can enjoy while you still have sleep in your eyes ;)

As a teaser ......... when the Paul Gauguin slips through the reef and into the lagoon on Moorea the jagged peaks and lush landscape come into view. The first time I experienced this moment I was half expecting King Kong to jump out from behind one of the jagged peaks, it is jaw dropping incredible, don't miss it.

If you do not have a balcony .............. don't miss it, get up early, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy .......... but nothing is better than watching from your balcony ........ in my case while still in my night clothes :eek:

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I love standing on the rail of my balcony with a cup of fresh coffee in my hand .......... all while watching the beauty of an island appear as the Paul Gauguin slipped through the reef and into the lagoon ........ it's magical!

Just so you newbies know the Paul Gauguin normally slips through the opening in the reefs either at sunrise or sunset, the timing is intentional so you can enjoy this magical moment. Some are not up and out of their rooms by 7am to catch this incredible moment but if you have a balcony you can enjoy while you still have sleep in your eyes ;)

As a teaser ......... when the Paul Gauguin slips through the reef and into the lagoon on Moorea the jagged peaks and lush landscape come into view. The first time I experienced this moment I was half expecting King Kong to jump out from behind one of the jagged peaks, it is jaw dropping incredible, don't miss it.

If you do not have a balcony .............. don't miss it, get up early, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy .......... but nothing is better than watching from your balcony ........ in my case while still in my night clothes :eek:

Oh how I can recommend this. But go one further as I did. Get a grand suite and you can be the only one facing forward as you pass in through the reef as the upper deck is closed until 9am.