st. thomas,curacao or aruba?

Hurrijane

This has probably been asked and answered many times but I didn't see it when I searched. We used to dive a lot but it has been years so we will need a refresher course first and we are not interested in very deep (90) dives.

(I would be happy with a nice 30 foot easy dive.). We will dive twice at the most. Any suggestions of what would be best for us?

This has probably been asked and answered many times but I didn't see it when I searched. We used to dive a lot but it has been years so we will need a refresher course first and we are not interested in very deep (90) dives.

(I would be happy with a nice 30 foot easy dive.). We will dive twice at the most. Any suggestions of what would be best for us?

Funny:p I just did my refresher in the pool last weekend and will hit the lake this weekend after a 12 year break from diving. I have also been looking at dives for the September version of your Southern Caribbean cruise. So far here is what I have discovered. Coki Dive Center on St Thomas has easy guided shore dives. This might be a good way to start off. If you need, I'm sure that they could incorporate a refresher course in with that. I am looking at St Kitts and Curacao also but have not gotten much favorable about the diving in Aruba compared to the other locations we will be at. I think I would be pushing it if I tried to dive 4 of the mornings away. DW used to but doesn't want to dive anymore. You should try to do a refresher at Lake Jocassee before you leave!

Definitely Curacao! Shore dives at the Dive Bus are very good and you will love the staff there.

http://www.the-dive-bus.com/

A refresher course is always a good idea if it's been awhile since you've dived. We took a refresher last month, it had been 2 1/2 years since our last dive. Safe diving and have a GREAT cruise!

Curacao IMO is by far the best choice. Contact the Dive Bus tell them what you want and your skill level. They are a great operator.

Check out Curious 2 Dive on Curacao. Hans is very patient, so he could probably "refresh" you for a bit, and then take you on a beautiful dive. He took us (four newly certified divers, two adults and two kids) and it was fabulous!

Check out Curious 2 Dive on Curacao. Hans is very patient, so he could probably "refresh" you for a bit, and then take you on a beautiful dive. He took us (four newly certified divers, two adults and two kids) and it was fabulous!

+1. We used them last year. They were very good.

Coki Beach at St. Thomas is also good. They have an easy shore dive, so that can be a good refresher there. I had always gone out on a boat for diving there, with the owner/captain Peter. Very nice diving there.

My suggestion is to get a refresher before your cruise starts. Most of the dive tours that you can take on a cruise ship are not set-up to do any kind of a refresher. If you are sailing out of South Florida my recommendation is to go to Key Largo a couple of days before you sail. This works out really well if you sail on Sunday.

(I always recommend that folks couple of days in "The Keys" before a cruise any way... a nice way to extend the vacation a little bit. For the cost of a rental car you can see a little of the Keys. Spend night before the cruise in Key Largo and drive back to the airport to drop off the rental car in the morning... several of the rental car companies will then take you to the port for free. The free transport to the port will offset the cost of the rental car.)

Rainbow Reef in Key Largo is the place I recommend for the refresher. I have been diving with them for a few years now and I really trust them. As far as their dive training & safety goes, I trusted them to teach and certify two of my kids.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

• 2 months later...

Curacao and Aruba are much better for diving, IMO. We used the Dive Bus in Caracao and Happy Divers in Aruba, had a great time with both.

I'd second the recommendation for doing a refresher course at home before your cruise. We were newly certified when we went on these dives and both operators were great at accommodating beginners.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in St. Kitts and the rest in March. Just got certified and looking forward to my first Caribbean dives. Can probably dive just once without DW, unless we can find a combo dive/snorkel excursion. ('ll be researching that later).

My dive instructor said St. Kitts and Curacao are the best to dive at.

Thanks for the info. Now that I've posted here, I'll be able to check back for the references to track down later.