wheelchair assistance at Fort lauderdale

Callie Girl

As you enter the terminal there will be a cruise line representative that will direct you to the wheelchair assistance area. Note that you will have to wait in a queue ( there will be seats) for assistance as there are only a limited number of wheelchairs and pushers. Wheelchair assistance will be provided n the order that you arrived and were placed on the list.

Yes you can request a later disembarkation number but note that it really won't be all that much later as once disembarkation starts it generally goes pretty fast. The location for wheelchair assistance on disembarkation day will be printed in the news letter you will receive the night before

Edited by xxoocruiser

My DH uses a wheelchair and for whatever reason, they seem to want to get those needing assistance off the ship in a timely manner. I guess it's because they need to get the ship ready for the next cruise and the people who do the wheelchair pushing are crew members. We found that most who needed assistance were off the ship before 9am.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to get a wheelchair before entering the terminal building?

You can ask a cruise line representative. However the wheelchair pushers are cruise line employees and are generally not allowed outside of the terminal by Customs & Immigration. You might be able to get a wheelchair chair and do the pushing/wheeling yourself.

Is it possible to get a wheelchair before entering the terminal building?

Only if you rent a wheelchair for the cruise from Special Needs at Sea - they have a kiosk just along from the doors into the terminal where you pick up the wheelchair. Then you have to push the person in the wheelchair into the terminal. My DH and I have this down to a fine art now, with him in wheelchair pushing wheeled carry-on and stuff piled on him too.:D A crew member will push the wheelchair when it is time to board.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let everyone know about our recent experience at the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. We were able secure a wheelchair outside the building and a very helpful young man took us through checkin. He took us as far as he could then a Young man from Princess took over. It was the easiest embarkation ever for us.

• 3 weeks later...

With Princess on our last 2 cruises with a wheel chair, their staff have been phenominal! Not just getting my wife taken care of, but they come and get her in a hurry and carry her, in the chair, up and down the ships ramps. Princess is AWESOME in this regard (and many other ways, too!).